Jetspeed...why do you guys think it's not selling...

Tigerfansince72

Reaction score
Handicap
....obviously it isn't or they wouldn't be giving away at fairway wood with the purchase of a driver. I hit it and seemed to be a solid driver.

I'm going to be a little PC here.

It's not a great offering for 2014. Maybe like five years ago, but even then it still wouldn't really match the needs of many that it's supposed to. Very little advertising. A push back to an old design.

One word.....SLDR. Or is that 4 letters?

Comparing the 2 at least for me it wasn't even close. The SLDR out performs the JetSpeed by a good margin and for a difference of $100, I'd go SLDR every day of the week.

Too similar to the SLDR in terms of performance and lack of forgiveness. Same low and forward CoG.

Basically, it doesn't cater to a different segment of golfers than the SLDR - just a slightly lower price point with less adjustability

It kinda comes back to one of the issues with touting the latest and greatest...you can't stray too far from it. Low-forward CG, #LoftUp, the things they touted in the SLDR as being the way forward for drivers meant that they were a little hamstrung to offer something that's too great a departure from that technology so soon.

Just my opinion, but I think the guys who can put the JetSpeed to work probably would also hit the SLDR very well, and would prefer the adjustability. On the other hand, the people who don't hit the SLDR very well probably don't hit the JetSpeed all that well either, because they're a very similar design and technology.

There are only so many drivers you can come to market with over a short period of time. Can't all knock 'em out of the park.

Agreed with all of the posts so far. Also seems that the stores arent really pushing them either. I had a driver fitting a few weeks ago and the guy never even mentioned it and I hit about 10 drivers. Plus a lot of people only hear about the SLDR, see the tour guys using it and thats what they want too.

For what its worth, I have the hybrids and really like them. Very similar to the RBZ hybrids but hit the ball slightly higher. Have never hit the driver or fairway woods.

It surprises me that they would try this again. The R11 blew the doors off the Burner 2.0 in sales, the R1 blew the doors off the RBZ Stage 2 and now the SLDR is blowing the doors off the JetSpeed. Why do they keep doing it? I don't quite get it....but then again they're smarter than I am so it must be valuable to them somehow.

It surprises me that they would try this again. The R11 blew the doors off the Burner 2.0 in sales, the R1 blew the doors off the RBZ Stage 2 and now the SLDR is blowing the doors off the JetSpeed. Why do they keep doing it? I don't quite get it....but then again they're smarter than I am so it must be valuable to them somehow.

But at least the other driver pairings you mentioned were targeted at very different players.

The Jetspeed and SLDR are not.

Agreed.....I get what they are doing offering two lines at two different price points and they are also offering a product aimed at two different type of players.....but...................but.............the first product line is stealing all of the attention and the sales...

Agreed with all of the posts so far. Also seems that the stores arent really pushing them either. I had a driver fitting a few weeks ago and the guy never even mentioned it and I hit about 10 drivers. Plus a lot of people only hear about the SLDR, see the tour guys using it and thats what they want too.

For what its worth, I have the hybrids and really like them. Very similar to the RBZ hybrids but hit the ball slightly higher. Have never hit the driver or fairway woods.

Same here I really enjoy the hybrids but also haven't hit the driver or fw. I do agree with what others are saying tho about them not being pushed. I hit the sldr stuff right away because it was offered at the store

Agreed.....I get what they are doing offering two lines at two different price points and they are also offering a product aimed at two different type of players.....but...................but.............the first product line is stealing all of the attention and the sales...

But that's just it - the Jetspeed and SLDR are not for two different types of players. Maybe they tried to market them differently, but performance wise they are for very similar players

Also because it's ugly as sin and feels like a knockoff of a quality club. All very subjective to myself, I know.

So many other good offerings out there something had to give and most people are looking at the SLDR when buying from TM.

Agreed....in the past that's the way they were marketed with the Burner/RBZ line and the "R" line. Now it's very blurred and the sales are showing it.

But that's just it - the Jetspeed and SLDR are not for two different types of players. Maybe they tried to market them differently, but performance wise they are for very similar players

But at least the other driver pairings you mentioned were targeted at very different players.

The Jetspeed and SLDR are not.

Were they? I know the internet says so, but the marketing from the company has not. At least from what I have read. It seems like many companies (This is not a knock on TaylorMade), tout their products as the best for everybody. Does Callaway really make you aware of a different player type between X2Hot and Big Bertha?

Like people have said, they announced two drivers at basically the same time and one was superior than the other (and way more advertised). Taylormade hurt themselves with how they did it. One that is a step forward in adjustable ability and the other not touting that at all, touting really nothing.

Were they? I know the internet says so, but the marketing from the company has not. At least from what I have read. It seems like many companies (This is not a knock on TaylorMade), tout their products as the best for everybody. Does Callaway really make you aware of a different player type between X2Hot and Big Bertha?

Not between the x2hot and standard big bertha, no. From what I remember Callaway said that they were actually the most similar out of their driver lineup - though the Bertha has more adjustability.

I think the Bertha/X2hot is a good comparison to the Jetspeed/SLDR in terms of very similar clubs at different price points. However the forgiveness of both the Bertha and x2hot makes it much better for lesser ball strikers, so there isn't that big of an issue.

I feel like TaylorMade is missing a driver in it's lineup. One that has the pricepoint similar to the jetspeed but the forgiveness of the Burner/RBZ lineage of clubs.

You think the RBZ line was more forgiving than the Jetspeed?

Not between the x2hot and standard big bertha, no. From what I remember Callaway said that they were actually the most similar out of their driver lineup - though the Bertha has more adjustability.

I think the Bertha/X2hot is a good comparison to the Jetspeed/SLDR in terms of very similar clubs at different price points. However the forgiveness of both the Bertha and x2hot makes it much better for lesser ball strikers, so there isn't that big of an issue.

I feel like TaylorMade is missing a driver in it's lineup. One that has the pricepoint similar to the jetspeed but the forgiveness of the Burner/RBZ lineage of clubs.

From a corporate umbrella sense, the XTD driver from Adams is pretty forgiving. From what I remember.

From a corporate umbrella sense, the XTD driver from Adams is pretty forgiving. From what I remember.

You bring up an interesting question - does the average golf consumer have any clue that Taylormade owns Adams?

You bring up an interesting question - does the average golf consumer have any clue that Taylormade owns Adams?

Probably not. I think they like it that way.

A follow up question, does it matter?

You think the RBZ line was more forgiving than the Jetspeed?

Yes - I games the RBZ for a season and hit the Jetspeed a few times. Jetspeed felt closer to the SLDR than the RBZ in terms of forgiveness (for me)

Back