Vibram Five Finger Shoes - Review Thread

Great initial thoughts and pics guys.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on these as you have a chance to play a few rounds. I'm not the target audience for this style of golf shoe (it's taken almost 20 years to start wearing shorts vs wingtips and slacks even in summer) but I'm glad to see that a company is willing to push the envelope and produce a unique product like this.

Good first thoughts! I've always been afraid of losing a toe with them separated like that and out in the open.

Talk about socks, special socks or regular socks?

Great start. I'm totally curious how they look. I was surprised when Sanzabar said he was wearing a 9.5/10, Those shoes make your feed seem huge. (Which makes me wonder how huge they'll make my size 13 beefy bear feet look.)

From a feel perspective, boy, those things sure look comfy. Anyone could totally rock those on a golf course in LA and not get a second look except for people asking you questions. (I'm curious if people will do that.)

I have noticed alot of people talking about them being extremely different.

Looks wise, they dont come much more odd looking. However, they are extremely comfortable, lightweight and I like the target audience that Vibram is reaching. I think they are a shoe that comes with an acquired look. It seems that most either love them or hate them.

I am playing in a tournament today and I am not going to wear the Vibram's for the full 18 tournament. I plan on getting out and walking quite a few holes after just to get the feel for these bad boys.

I will be posting some more thoughts this evening.

Thursday UPS delivered my Vibram "V-Classic" black. These are my first and only pair of VIBRAM. The wife thinks they are completely silly, web feet, aqua man...

Initial thoughts
- Very light weight, that's nice. Compared to regular shoes. Still getting use to the toes.
- Fabric side walls very thin
- Yellow bottom insole thin and not a lot of cushion. I feel you definitely could get poke from the sides since there is no real protection, just fabric, for your feet. Would not want to walk thru woods and get stuck. So I might have to remember this and use caution. Unlike what I do in my other shoes.
- Rubber bottom very thick and extremely flexible/bendable.
- traction/grip looks very good when compared to my regular 8-9 spike shoe. Very similar rubber grips & size like spikeless shoes. I think these will hold the ground well when swinging especially if you already wear spikeless shoes.
- tried putting on this morning and that is was a challenge for the first foot. The second foot was easier. Made me think until I get use, if your in a super rush then start early.
- I did order the right size based on there charts and the fit works perfectly.
- I agree with Sanzabar on feet sweating, after about 10 minutes walking around inside house I noticed. Plus when removing the frabic stuck somewhat to the foot. But that is par for the course with me. I am not one to go without socks in shoes. I did walk around this morning outside, 37 degrees, wet grass and my feet were getting cold. Golfing with cold wet feet is not a good thing for me. I did buy two pair of socks just in case. Look like gloves for your hands.

I do plan on wearing these around even without golf to get use to the support and how my feet will feel. I live in my Ecco shoes so this will be an adjustment. I can see how this would be great for beach. The shoes are washable so soon we shall see.

Below are some pictures

2014-04-18 06.11.07.jpg2014-04-18 06.12.35.jpg2014-04-18 06.10.55.jpg2014-04-18 06.11.39.jpg2014-04-18 06.41.15.jpg

Very interesting shoe here not really my style but gonna be cool to follow along with you all. Keep up the good work.

I assume you can not wear traditional socks but can you order socks from the company that makes the shoes?

Traditional socks don't work. The socks match the shoes with all five toes. Just as interesting getting those on.

Jeff
sent using tapatalk

Great start guys I can't wait to get your feed back on the course. The question I have is if you're in the bunker if the sand will be a big problem? I would hate to have to take these off and shake them out everytime I was in the bunker.

Sand is a good question. I have not experienced yet. But can tell you only from wearing this morning. I think sand will get in add the sides are low and the shoe tongue is only attached at the bottom which leaves the sides exposed for sand to get thru after passing the laces.

Jeff
sent using tapatalk

Great initial thoughts folks! Love the wing tips, those are cool.

JM

Nice thoughts so far guys. I love Vibram shoes so I will be curious to how well the traction is during the swing and if there is any discomfort or pain in your big toe on your follow through.

Will be interesting to see if these start popping up on the course or not.

According to the GF, I have 'Fred Flintstone' feet. I'm not sure these would be for me. My roommate loves his pair of normal Vibram's, I'm gonna show him these to see if what his thoughts are. Good stuff in here so far.

Alright.. Wasn't able to get them on the course but I did get some solid range time with the Speed XC Lite.

First thing I came to the conclusion.. I will need socks for sure.

Second thought... These are freaking comfy. I think just from initial reaction... They are more comfy as an everyday shoe rather than golf specific.

Mu first few reactions are as follows.. They offer solid stability but not like a normal shoe. I honestly didn't notice the stability being bad, but it's not on par with my Lunar Controls. However, never once did I expect that. I have a lot of lower body movement in my swing (I'm working on that issue) and I didn't notice myself losing my footing anymore than any other spikeless shoe. My feet did sweat pretty bad and I did notice movement inside the shoe.

I would say I put about 100 swings and to be honest, my toes aren't sore... But they feel fatigued if that makes any sense at all. I'd say my pinky toes feel a little sore, but not crazy.

I honestly am nit-picking and I was honestly surprised at how good they felt while swinging the club. I am hoping to get out to the course this weekend or early next week to really put these through the ringer.

Alright.. Wasn't able to get them on the course but I did get some solid range time with the Speed XC Lite.

First thing I came to the conclusion.. I will need socks for sure.

Second thought... These are freaking comfy. I think just from initial reaction... They are more comfy as an everyday shoe rather than golf specific.

Mu first few reactions are as follows.. They offer solid stability but not like a normal shoe. I honestly didn't notice the stability being bad, but it's not on par with my Lunar Controls. However, never once did I expect that. I have a lot of lower body movement in my swing (I'm working on that issue) and I didn't notice myself losing my footing anymore than any other spikeless shoe. My feet did sweat pretty bad and I did notice movement inside the shoe.

I would say I put about 100 swings and to be honest, my toes aren't sore... But they feel fatigued if that makes any sense at all. I'd say my pinky toes feel a little sore, but not crazy.

I honestly am nit-picking and I was honestly surprised at how good they felt while swinging the club. I am hoping to get out to the course this weekend or early next week to really put these through the ringer.

Good info so far. I wonder if the sore toes are from less stability, but the sweaty feet worries me more than anything. I like that they are comfy.

Sanzabar do you wear minimalist style shoes at all or go barefoot much?

I wore mine to the range and spent about 4 hours total in them today. 2 at the range and 2 putzing around.

First thing I had to get used to hitting the ball was where the ball was in relationship to the ground. I think going from supported golf shoes to these I was going between some fat and thin shots before I found the ball again.

They felt great. I didn't wear socks and my feet were fine. I don't have sweaty feet problems. I didn't even notice not having spikes on. I do wear minimalist shoes and have worn Vibram shoes in the past, and that makes me think I can go even longer wearing them without any problems.

People were staring at my feet while I was wearing them. Only a few guys at the range said something. A friend asked if I was wearing "baseball mitts" on my feet. I love all the reactions.

Great to see these being reviewed! I've been wearing Vibram 5s for years now, both on and off the course. Most comfortable shoes ever. If there was a pair I could wear in -40 winters I would. While I'm not a big fan of the looks of their 'golf' versions, they have more than enough choices to suit anybody. I never wear socks, but throw them in the washing machine every week or two, or in a pinch throw some baking soda in a paper towel inside and no smell problems. One weird observation, make sure you keep your big toe nails cut closely. It may be just me who lifts their toes while walking, but I wore holes in the top of the big toes on my first pair (KSOs). My Trek Sports have great grip; I've worn them in rain without grip issues. The only negative I have for them is that you will get sand in them if in bunkers, and if wandering in trees you will get stuff stuck between the toes. Neither is a big deal, but are something to consider. And yes, you do get a lot of funny looks. But as soon as you tell them they're the most comfortable things on the planet (and they are), people always go from odd looks to intrigued looks. P.S. Once I got used to them (a few weeks for sure), I can now get them on and off significantly faster than lace up shoes.

Sanzabar do you wear minimalist style shoes at all or go barefoot much?

I wear flip flops all summer. But I am more of a sneakers guy.

Sanz that makes a lot of sense on the "fatigued" feet, going from a structured/supported tennis shoe. I experienced Simillar when I made the switch to unstructured/barefoot style shoes.

Shoes like this or similar styles require the use if a lot of muscles that are not used when wearing normal shoes and I suspect most will have similar findings in the beginning till those muscles build up.

Interesting thoughts about getting sand in them. That would irritate the heck out of me if it did happen.

Curious to hear the reviewers thoughts on that aspect.

Really good stuff so far and great pics. They look über comfy.

Is it really just me that think these things look ridiculous? Maybe I'm just finally getting old.

Interesting concept, however, there is a 0% chance that I would ever try this on let alone play a round in them.

Played 18 this morning riding in a cart. The guys I played with thought these were absolutely ridiculous looking and belong more on the beach. Did not understand why anyone would wear for golf. But they were also older than I and set in their ways. I will say since it was 40 degrees this morning and no socks my feet definitely felt the cold as the rest of my body. This morning with the wind was a stocking cap morning and two gloves and three layers of shirts till the warmup. I will need to get a pair of socks.

I will honestly say my feet would probably hurt if I walked 18 holes since these are completely out of what I would ever buy.

All these thoughts and feeling are mine and others have their own thoughts and feels to what they are use to. I missed wearing my spikeless ecco shoes.

Sand: I was in plenty of sand today since my shot making ability was not going as planned. YES sand can & will get in. Especially of the sand box has lots of sand and if your near the lips of the trap where all the sand if. This is not fun between the toes.

Support - I found that with weight shifting there was no support like your regular shoes. The hard rubber molded shaped bottom of this matches your foot and is not really wider like a shoe and when standing if you lean your foot left you can feel rubber side wall giving way.

Toes - I did do some walking since the driver and I seem to be on different sides of the fairway. While walking the edges and finding some golf balls I did manage to pickup some sticky thorn things and crap between the toes. Picking those stocky this out wasn't fun so from there I stayed out of the brush. While my playing partners laughed. At least they were having fun at my expense and it was actual funny.

Water - part of the fairway were pretty mushie and I did sink a little and made a bee line away since these will get your feet wet. If you have a water shot these are perfect especially if you play without socks.

Rubber spikes - performed as manufactured.

I know this is a start of testing but all I can say if you have never worn Vibram shoes then this is weird and I need to where more to get use to the feeling. As mentioned above I personally think I would really like on vacation. This week I plan on wearing to work a few times and taking a walk at night. I know that is not golf but figure I should get more familiar.

Back