Sunblock recommendations.

Mostly I use Bullfrog with insect repellent, I also use the "sport" Coppertone. I sometimes pick up a spray to keep in my bag for reapplication during the round. As was said earlier, SF30 is really all you need and reapplication in the real key.

Topic seems strange as we've had about 4 full days of sun and warmth so far this year, lol.

And here I have already had at least 10 days in the 80's. lol

Be careful of the aerosol sprays, they are always rated as the worst sun screens. Not for their SPF performance but because of the chemicals in them to make them spray. Most of them use a chemical that has the affects of synthetic estrogen.

This is very disturbing. Is there any way of telling which brands have that chemical?

Edit: Google is your friend! Found it, and it not just the sprays.

The following sun filtering agents have been implicated with possessing estrogenic effects:
•Benzophenone-1, 2, 3 and 4 (also known as Oxybenzone). Oxybenzone is of most concern as it is not only associated with hormone disruption but also with allergies and cell damage. In fact, a 2008 study by the Center for Disease Control revealed that 97% of Americans are contaminated with this chemical. It also links mothers with high levels to giving birth to low birth weight infants increasing their risk for coronary heart disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and other diseases in adulthood
•Homosalate
•Octyl methoxycinnamate (Octinoxate)
•4-Methylbenzylidene camphor UV-B 4-MBC, Eusolex 6300

I've had two skin cancers cut out so I'm a little paranoid and go with the high octane block.

6887310_320x385.jpg

I started using Banana Boat Sport Performance in SPF 50 a few years ago. In mid summer I will go up to 100 spf.
I have tried some other sprays that were supposed to be non greasy (not BB) and felt like I was spraying on a coating of glue on my face.
I might have to give BB's spray a try.

Thanks for the tip !

I have also had a cancer cell cut out so I am very careful in the sun. I tried a lot and I like GolfersSkin, http://www.golfersskin.com, for the face/neck area and spray Neutrogena for the legs. I also wear a long sleeve shirt year round.

Anyone know what the pros use? I use Neutrogena and my face is still a little red at the end of the day.

I see a tour pro in an interview after a round and his face isn't red and you don't see sunscreen on him. You also don't see them reapplying it throughout the round. You'd think a camera somewhere would catch them.

Bullfrog is the only stuff that seems to work at all when you are sweating heavily. All sunscreen drives me nuts on the course though. I will put some on my neck occasionally, but that's about it.

Don't know if you are seeing a trend here but Nuetrogena seems to be the brand that the guys (like me) that have been cut on use. Comes highly recommended from the dermatologist, dries nicely w/o that greasy feel

I've had two skin cancers cut out so I'm a little paranoid and go with the high octane block.

6887310_320x385.jpg

I like the look of this, is it truly dry touch?

supposed to be non greasy and felt like I was spraying on a coating of glue on my face.
I might have to give BB's spray a try.

The dry powder lotion really is amazing for this part.

Topic seems strange as we've had about 4 full days of sun and warmth so far this year, lol.

Yes, I've only been out in t shirt once but never to early too think about protection (and deals to be had this time of year which is the part I like!).

I use Banana Boat Body & Scalp spray http://www.bananaboat.com/product-category/sport/ I find the spray does not leave a greasy feeling and I don't have to get it on my hands. I also use a higher SPF stick version for my face as well as a lip balm with SPF. Don't forget your ears! Since most of us wear a hat, the ears stay exposed.

Thank you for posting this. I replied to a thread the other day with some suggestions I had made about getting your skin checked out. I did a couple of years ago and the Dr found some areas to treat that could have turned into a much bigger issue.

I used copppertone sport on my face. I apply it before leaving the house so it has enough time to set in. This also allows me to watch my hands so they aren't greasy. At the course I carry spray on (which ever is on sale) to cover my legs, arms and re applies at the turn. It's all about reapplying and that's the only way to ensure proper use and protection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I use Coppertone Sport 50 as well and unusually reapply. Good to know about the sprays we've gotten them before but I felt they didn't do any good, even more reason not to buy them in the future.

Full round today, full sun, in the sun from 9:30 to 14:30, two reapplications through the round, no damage.

Having the lotion that dries to powder is a real boon, no issues hitting shots right after reapplying.

One minor issue - I was on a tee waiting for up ahead to clear, quicck squirt of lotion on hands, spread between hands, started to apply on arms... forgot I was wearing a watch!! D'oh!!

Thanks for all the other suggestions, loads of stuff to try.

I have to find another sunscreen since my doctor told me what I've been using is causing me to break out like a 13 year old. He recommended Neutrogene with moisturizer SPF 20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of the banana boat coolzone sunscreen. It's got a refreshing cooling effect when you put it on, so it doesn't feel quite as gross as regular sunscreen does.
Agree, by far my favorite. Easy to apply and it does not stink like the others.

I've had more than one dermatologist recommend Neutrogena.

Back