Jetspeed...why do you guys think it's not selling...

The Callaway promo is on the XHot Pro. Not the reg XHot or X2. At least that is what the offer is at the Dicks I work at right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At my local demo days they were doing it for the X2hots as well as Xhot

I recently had a choice of choosing a driver and I went with what I had hit. And what I had been told it. I never even thought about the other two options.
For a couple reason, one of the drivers I did not like the look of at address but it was marketed.
The driver option didn't cross my mind because I didn't realize it was out there. And this last reason is why I feel the Jet Speed isn't selling. The average golf consumer does not know it's out there. Not because of handicap or playing ability but lack of exposure.
Everything we see is SLDR, loft up, limited edition white, DJ hitting it in commercials. I have yet to see a Jetspeed spot other than the creepy puppet campaign that doesn't run any longer.
And to perfectly honest, I don't know the sales of the Jetspeed. For all I know the JS could have done just fine for TM and accomplished what they wanted.

Tadashi raises some good points. It's not getting marquee exposure. For all we know, TMag's strategy with the Jetspeed could parallel Chevrolet's. Customers come onto the lot because of the Corvette, but they drive off in Malibu's. Tout the Corvette, move the Malibu. Maybe the Jetspeed ends up moving at fire-sale prices, but at least it moves.

I dunno, I'm probably giving them too much credit for possessing keen Machiavellian forethought. Even big companies make mistakes. I sure see a ton of 8 degree SLDR's for sale on Ebay right now. They were made back in the early days of production before "Loft Up" became a mantra. Can you imagine how low an 8 degree SLDR goes? It's practically a submarine.

Tadashi raises some good points. It's not getting marquee exposure. For all we know, TMag's strategy with the Jetspeed could parallel Chevrolet's. Customers come onto the lot because of the Corvette, but they drive off in Malibu's. Tout the Corvette, move the Malibu. Maybe the Jetspeed ends up moving at fire-sale prices, but at least it moves.

I dunno, I'm probably giving them too much credit for possessing keen Machiavellian forethought. Even big companies make mistakes. I sure see a ton of 8 degree SLDR's for sale on Ebay right now. They were made back in the early days of production before "Loft Up" became a mantra. Can you imagine how low an 8 degree SLDR goes? It's practically a submarine.

I am sure TM is happy to sell more SLDR than Jetspeeds due to the hight price point

The JetSpeed is more for the higher capper IMO. SLDR offers more adjustability and is built for the low to mid capper. The JetSpeed has the speed pocket which promotes a bigger sweet spot and less spin. There is no doubt in my mind once you find the right position for the 20 gram weight on the SLDR that you will hit it longer, straighter and more consistent. There is a reason Phil used it during the Presidents Cup and he is a Callaway guy!

Which part isn't accurate?

Less Spin does not make something for a higher handicapped player and certainly does not make something more forgiving. In fact most would argue that less spin will make a club less forgiving as it relates to drivers.

Less Spin does not make something for a higher handicapped player and certainly does not make something more forgiving. In fact most would argue that less spin will make a club less forgiving as it relates to drivers.

^This... it may not pertain exactly, but if you are thinking of forward weighting and a higher sweet spot... look no further than any 'player's iron' out on the market... in the right hands they are money, but they are not for everyone

I'm not looking directly at my post but I thought I pointed out the speed pocket made the sweet spot bigger. In my opinion less spin is good on a driver. Doesn't make it inaccurate, just an opinion :)

I'm not looking directly at my post but I thought I pointed out the speed pocket made the sweet spot bigger. In my opinion less spin is good on a driver. Doesn't make it inaccurate, just an opinion :)

While can be deemed an opinion, in directly relating it to forgiveness, many would feel it is largely inaccurate.
It is not really the same as saying Driver A is better than Driver B. In this instance, spin is a direct number and factually most would say that more spin relates directly to forgiveness. Its why some say that if you took 7 clubs of equal length (same heads). And they started at 6* of loft and each one moved up 3* of loft. The one with the highest loft would give you the most forgiveness. It would also in just about every case, give you the most spin.

Im not saying anything of this to belittle or argue, just want to make sure that people have the right technical information about golf clubs.

While can be deemed an opinion, in directly relating it to forgiveness, many would feel it is largely inaccurate.
It is not really the same as saying Driver A is better than Driver B. In this instance, spin is a direct number and factually most would say that more spin relates directly to forgiveness. Its why some say that if you took 7 clubs of equal length (same heads). And they started at 6* of loft and each one moved up 3* of loft. The one with the highest loft would give you the most forgiveness. It would also in just about every case, give you the most spin.

I can see your point. The best thing though is to still go and get fitted properly. I always hate when people walk up to me with a club and say I want to buy this and I'm like have you hit it yet and they always say no.

When I had a driver fitting this week , my Pro mentioned these , we had a quick discussion about them , his take are they are a replacement equivalent to the Burner Superfast Range , although with much newer tech etc. he says they arent selling and after a discussion he had with TM that day doesn't think they will be continued much longer. I had hit the SLDR but these visually the JS didn't do much for me , as for forgiveness I cannot comment as I haven't hit them. I can understand the price range they are aimed at , but without more of an advertising campaign I cannot see them gaining much of a market foothold when you look at what the other manufacturers provide at a similar price .......just my musing anyway

If you want my opinion and few do, I will share it. Its not about forgiveness, the product or the marketing. You had a company tell the world that they are playing the wrong loft last year. People that bought into that, are now being told that they need to loft up and go with something often times not available on their previous model they were told would fix the launch. Its hard to go to the well this many times and find success. Especially when it comes to something as polarizing as the products they have released this year.

JB posted the above very salient point back on page 3 that I almost missed.

The SLDR was released in Aug 2013 without all the Loft Up hype and when they were pumping out 8 and 9.5 and 10.5 degree SLDRs. They learn that lofting up is necessary to get the thing off the deck. 12's are touted and 14's are announced. Then the Jetspeed comes out in December right around the same time that "Loft Up" campaign kicks in. TMag had to preach "Loft Up" or else lose traction with the SLDR, but while the SLDR is an unforgiving line drive machine at lower lofts, the Jetspeed doesn't actually need to be "lofted up". It launches just fine in "normal" lofts because it's more of a normal driver.

So you end up with a curious new TMag dogma that exalts the SLDR but damns the Jetspeed. Which is it?

The "loft up" shpiel is at least compelling, but poor Jetspeed doesn't seem to have much of a shpiel at all.

JetSpeed was recommended as a loftup club from day one.

etSpeed also incorporates a low-forward CG location, which has been proven in previous TaylorMade drivers to generate faster ball speed and lower spin compared to the low-back CG that has for years been accepted as the best location for promoting distance. Because low-forward also promotes a lower launch angle, most players will have to “loft up” to realize the full distance-enhancing benefits of JetSpeed. Three JetSpeed driver lofts are offered – 9.5°, 10.5° and HL (13°). Its Loft-sleeve technology allows you to easily choose from one of 12 positions that give you a range of loft adjustment from ±1.5°.

It's not a normal driver. It's low/forward driver, just like the SLDR.

There are some differences, but it's based on the same platform.

JetSpeed was recommended as a loftup club from day one.

It's not a normal driver. It's low/forward driver, just like the SLDR.

It is kind of like SLDR light

I can see your point. The best thing though is to still go and get fitted properly. I always hate when people walk up to me with a club and say I want to buy this and I'm like have you hit it yet and they always say no.

A sale is a sale. People want what they want.

I have bought MANY clubs without ever hitting them. Thats part of being a consumer wanting to spend cash, game what you want to game.

JB posted the above very salient point back on page 3 that I almost missed.

The SLDR was released in Aug 2013 without all the Loft Up hype and when they were pumping out 8 and 9.5 and 10.5 degree SLDRs. They learn that lofting up is necessary to get the thing off the deck. 12's are touted and 14's are announced. Then the Jetspeed comes out in December right around the same time that "Loft Up" campaign kicks in. TMag had to preach "Loft Up" or else lose traction with the SLDR, but while the SLDR is an unforgiving line drive machine at lower lofts, the Jetspeed doesn't actually need to be "lofted up". It launches just fine in "normal" lofts because it's more of a normal driver.

So you end up with a curious new TMag dogma that exalts the SLDR but damns the Jetspeed. Which is it?

The "loft up" shpiel is at least compelling, but poor Jetspeed doesn't seem to have much of a shpiel at all.

I saw ads from day 1 on the SLDR that said loft up. Or at least touted that pros were going up in loft and so should ams.

A sale is a sale. People want what they want.

I have bought MANY clubs without ever hitting them. Thats part of being a consumer wanting to spend cash, game what you want to game.

And in my opinion, that is a mistake.

I don't think it's doing well because the performance isn't all that different than the SLDR but it's not the sexy pick. There are plenty of people who still buy clubs because they are concerned with what others think of them based on what they have in the bag and the SLDR has the highest price point so they feel good about themselves. I also don't think the marketing is very memorable, the speed police are great but it also doesn't have me thinking JetSpeed.

And in my opinion, that is a mistake.

There is nothing wrong with people wanting to play what they want. People enjoy the game differently. And that is wonderful

There is nothing wrong with people wanting to play what they want. People enjoy the game differently. And that is wonderful

Well opinions are like a**holes. We all have one. And yes, people can buy whatever they want and how they want it. I'm just saying IN MY OPINION people would be better off and have more success being properly fit which includes hitting clubs before they buy them.

Ok. We all define success differently. And that's fantastic.

Well opinions are like a**holes. We all have one. And yes, people can buy whatever they want and how they want it. I'm just saying IN MY OPINION people would be better off and have more success being properly fit which includes hitting clubs before they buy them.

Were you fit to all of your clubs?

Looking at my bag now, I was fit to none.

What determines being better off? Scores? Handicap? Not trying to be condescending here, I am genuinely curious.

Jetspeed...why do you guys think it's not selling...

Were you fit to all of your clubs?

Looking at my bag now, I was fit to none.

What determines being better off? Scores? Handicap? Not trying to be condescending here, I am genuinely curious.

Every club in my bag my coach helped fit me in. My Driver, 3W and Hybrid are all cut shorter than standard and my irons are a quarter inch longer and the lie is 2* up. You can't get that from buying a club off the shelf without hitting and seeing if you like the weight, length, feel, ect.

Back