Taylormade Tour Preferred CB Iron Review Thread

Really struggling with these irons. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but something is just off. I find that I am hitting the ball at least 1 club shorter. They have some real nice things going for them but something is just not a fit for me right now.

Getting optimal height an still coming up short?

Really struggling with these irons. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but something is just off. I find that I am hitting the ball at least 1 club shorter. They have some real nice things going for them but something is just not a fit for me right now.

Same here dude. A full club shorter for me from my Rocketbladez.

Yup well hit shots get up and go nowhere.

Maybe a swing flaw i was fighting some thing similar in Jan/Feb was a full club short it was because i was not hitting down on the ball enough and had a little wrist flip also

Maybe a swing flaw i was fighting some thing similar in Jan/Feb was a full club short it was because i was not hitting down on the ball enough and had a little wrist flip also

Could be. Going to bring out a few different 7 irons on Monday to my home course and test them out side by side. My swing certainly has faults.

I was telling O'Carroll today that my home course opens Monday. So I am looking forward to getting these out there because I know my club distances pretty good there.

Could be. Going to bring out a few different 7 irons on Monday to my home course and test them out side by side. My swing certainly has faults.

I was telling O'Carroll today that my home course opens Monday. So I am looking forward to getting these out there because I know my club distances pretty good there.

You could also just need some time since the course have just started to open i can't imagine my swing would look to good after that much time off or with limited practice

That to me isn't a surprise. The Rocketbladez are a different breed.

I had to add a 1/4" to my Tour Preferred irons. Once I did, I had the same distance as my previous set.

You could also just need some time since the course have just started to open i can't imagine my swing would look to good after that much time off or with limited practice

All true. I haven't hit the panic button yet. However its not like I haven't been swinging all winter long. My immediate concern is for a tournament next Monday. Right now I can't hit an iron for anything over 165 yards. That poses a problem.

All true. I haven't hit the panic button yet. However its not like I haven't been swinging all winter long. My immediate concern is for a tournament next Monday. Right now I can't hit an iron for anything over 165 yards. That poses a problem.

Ouch 165 max it would be tough and probably a big gap to your 4H

So. I played these today. It was a good day, a really good day. Took me by surprise.

So. I played these today. It was a good day, a really good day. Took me by surprise.

Benched the 25s huh? Did you see anything out of them that you liked better?

Benched the 25s huh? Did you see anything out of them that you liked better?

The 25's are headed to AZ to get the proper spec's put on them....that is what I think the biggest difference was, these are fit to me at 2* up, proper length, and grip size and the shaft I was fit to as well by BVS. That IMO explains a lot of what I saw the last couple days. These are shorter than the i25's for me by a half club, so that took adjusting back to, but the lie angle did wonders for my ball flight (no more of that constant toe down fade).

They feel good and the looks are documented well in here as being one of the best sets they've put out IMO. But they're not world changers I don't think, not like the SpeedBlades, but they're solid irons. Fun for a round/two

I struggled the same way with the stock KBS Tour shafts at 120g. That shaft was just too heavy for me. I switched to SteelFiber i95 shafts, 1/2 " longer, and 1 degree stronger lofts and had greater success. Still, slight miss hits lose a good bit of yardage. Dispersion is outstanding. Just wish I could get consistent distances, but, my swing isn't consistent enough yet.

Dean and Ricky. As for being a club shorter. You guys do realize the lofts on these are 2* weaker than RocketBladez correct and 1/4 inch shorter in shaft length (unless you had a specific length ordered).

That can easily account for the loss of distance your seeing.

Dean and Ricky. As for being a club shorter. You guys do realize the lofts on these are 2* weaker than RocketBladez correct and 1/4 inch shorter in shaft length (unless you had a specific length ordered).

I was not comparing to Rocketblades as I don't have those. Also shaft length is the same as my other sets.

But, even with the weaker lofts they launch very high (close to the Speedblades for me). They just aren't built to be long, but for me they're shorter than others also not built for distance. That's me though.

I do realize that. Problem for me is that I don't have alot of length as it is. Way better for me to be hitting 7 and 8 irons into greens than 5 and 6 irons.

I was not comparing to Rocketblades as I don't have those. Also shaft length is the same as my other sets.

Did you special order them? What other sets are you comparing to? I know they're the same as Ping, but they are shorter than some other OEM's.

But, even with the weaker lofts they launch very high (close to the Speedblades for me). They just aren't built to be long, but for me they're shorter than others also not built for distance. That's me though.
I think TM went "old school" if can call it that with these. Unfortunately, so many people solely focus on longer is better for irons but forget the most important factor... launch.

The CBs here provide that launch, with traditional lofts, and arent made to be distance irons. Precision is the name of the game here, and I think the CBs accomplish that quite well.

I think TM went "old school" if can call it that with these. Unfortunately, so many people solely focus on longer is better for irons but forget the most important factor... launch.

The CBs here provide that launch, with traditional lofts, and arent made to be distance irons. Precision is the name of the game here, and I think the CBs accomplish that quite well.

I'm 100% with you here. Take the last two days of me moving back to these, simply adjust to the length and play them, the launch lets me still elevate even the 5i w/ no issues. Its just an adjustment.

I will say, I felt like I could be just as precise with longer irons like the i25's or even the SpeedBlades to be honest. So that's where I'm coming from personally.

No argument here about that. The clubs just aren't for me I don't think. Doesn't make them bad. I am the type of player that needs the extra length as well as forgiveness.

Did you special order them? What other sets are you comparing to? I know they're the same as Ping, but they are shorter than some other OEM's.

Ping s55 and Bridgestone J40. 5 iron in those sets are 1/4 inch longer, but from the 6 down they are the same. Also the CBs are stronger in loft from the 5-8 than both of those sets.

I know these are shorter than some OEM's, just not 2 sets that I play. I could compare them to the AMP Cells, but honestly that would just be silly.

I do realize that. Problem for me is that I don't have alot of length as it is. Way better for me to be hitting 7 and 8 irons into greens than 5 and 6 irons.

No doubt I agree with you there. I'm in the same boat.

I'm 100% with you here. Take the last two days of me moving back to these, simply adjust to the length and play them, the launch lets me still elevate even the 5i w/ no issues. Its just an adjustment.

I will say, I felt like I could be just as precise with longer irons like the i25's or even the SpeedBlades to be honest. So that's where I'm coming from personally.

For me, the Speedblades were a bit more accurate in the longer irons. However, they gave me a touch more launch (better shaft pairing) and allowed me to elevate my shots to hold greens better.

Might not be the thread for it, but the Speedblade long irons are perhaps the best I have hit over the past year(ish).

Back