Cleveland 588 MT Irons Preview Thread

$500 for 3-PW TT is a heck of a deal

Yeah that's what I though as well, I'm going to see if I can sneak that rebate into mine when I go to pick up my sticks.

Using Tapatalk

Haven't really liked the Cleveland look, but these new irons look nice. I would love to have them in my hands.

Haven't really liked the Cleveland look, but these new irons look nice. I would love to have them in my hands.

Definitely worth trying out, with the 3 lines from last year theres really something for just about everyone.

Look what arrived today!! Can't wait to get these to the practice range tomorrow for a test drive.

I've opted to go 4/5 Altitudes and 6-9 MT. Still holding on to my 3 hyron for now, but I'm going to improve the gapping on my wedges and add a Bertha 3W on the top end since it's adjustable. Works out better for me.

That's awesome OH! You'll love them.

It's always a great day when a Cleveland box shows up to the house. Look forward on hearing how they work for you out on the course. Need to take my Cobra Amp 6 iron out and put my MT 6iron in there. I have always thought it's a solid iron and I have never felt a nice soft feel even when I hit it dead center of the face. Wish you the best with these.
Look what arrived today!! Can't wait to get these to the practice range tomorrow for a test drive.

I've opted to go 4/5 Altitudes and 6-9 MT. Still holding on to my 3 hyron for now, but I'm going to improve the gapping on my wedges and add a Bertha 3W on the top end since it's adjustable. Works out better for me.

Congrats on the new irons and good luck OH!

Ok need some input that I want to pass on to someone rather than taking my word.

My father in law has been gaming the Mashie irons for about a year or so and like most he is looking to try out another set....already.

He had his hopes set pretty high on some irons that are way too expensive and not forgiving enough for a hacker that plays 10 times a year.

I'm going to steer him towards these MT irons and talk about my experiences with these irons and the Mashie irons.

Any chance some of you have tried both and have some thoughts I can add?

Sure. I actually found the mt set more forgiving laterally. I also found that while both could be played from an you lie the traditional sole shaping of the MT added a bit of confidence for me.

Similar ball flight, and both were quite long. It would be a nice progression for him.

Mike, I've played both sets, and I found the MT irons to be a bit improved over the Mashies. I felt that launched a bit higher (shaft pairing, perhaps) and were a bit more forgiving on the toe shots. Distance was a bit more with the MT irons as well, but again, that could be due to launch.

So I was comparing face of the MT's to the ALT's side by side yesterday at the range. I swear the MT's have a larger face than the ALT's. It was most noticeable with the SW's, but I could also see it in the other clubs I have (9, PW, D, SW). Has anyone else noticed this, or is mind my mind playing tricks?

For those that have played / experimented with both, how do the MT's compare with the Srixon Z star irons from a few seasons ago?

For those that have played / experimented with both, how do the MT's compare with the Srixon Z star irons from a few seasons ago?

In my opinion, not at all.

The MT's are bulkier (topline, cavity, and sole) and more offset. Blade length appears longer on the MT as well, but I have nothing to prove that. TT's would be close to the Z-Stars, but there are still some differences.

In my opinion, not at all.

The MT's are bulkier (topline, cavity, and sole) and more offset. Blade length appears longer on the MT as well, but I have nothing to prove that. TT's would be close to the Z-Stars, but there are still some differences.

OK, thanks

So I was comparing face of the MT's to the ALT's side by side yesterday at the range. I swear the MT's have a larger face than the ALT's. It was most noticeable with the SW's, but I could also see it in the other clubs I have (9, PW, D, SW). Has anyone else noticed this, or is mind my mind playing tricks?

Is the off set different also.

I don't know about the MT's but the Alt PW is smaller and has a shorter blade length than my DI-11 PW.

Still pondering if I want to replace my X Hot 8-A with Alt's MT or TT's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I agree; from heel to toe the Altitudes are noticeably shorter than the MTs.

Pondering again this weekend, Leaning toward 4 iron in MT if its a choice. Sets work for me through 5, the 4 is still a few too many short hits from standard set. I can groove it at the range, but I need it on demand.

I have the MT in 7 and 8, and so far a very solid iron. Played 9 holes yesterday in a pretty stiff wind and it didn't even seem like it affected these. Ordered them directly from Cleveland with the stock stiff steel shaft as I was going to switch them out for my graphite RIPs, but will probably leave the steel in for awhile they are performing so well for me.

Cleveland 588 MT Irons Preview Thread

A buddy of mine games these. He's probably a 20 handicap. He hits them very well. Great choice for him

I have a 2/3 in the MT and the 2 iron off the tee is fantastic on tight driving holes. These irons are really easy to hit.

For me, the altitudes are easier to hit and elevate. Honestly I think alot of it is just how the lesser offset int he Altitudes fit my eye better than the larger amount in the MT's. Both are a lot of fun to hit, especially off of the tee. The altitudes are playing at the standard length (39.75" and 39.125") and I really don't feel like I need to shorten them as I did the MT's.

Again, both are a lot of fun to hit, for me though the altitudes are just more consistent.
JMAN;
Two set of clubs I'm looking at are a combo with Altitudes, MT & TT or the BIO CELL combo set. Both have a great feel (on the BIO CELL +) however I'm a little concerned the more compact 588 head may not be as forgiving towards the toe. I'm a 15 hcp with a 90 ss (senior).
Can you compare the MT versus the BIO CELL in forgiveness and feel?
Thanks

I've hit them both - the MT's extensively.

Aesthetically, it's a wash. Both have the plusses and minuses I guess. MT's are a bit larger in spots - topline, sole. Not a huge difference though. I've really only hit MT's in the 5-7 irons, but my feeling was that they were pretty long heel to toe and not a very tall iron face.

I think they both feel fine. If you twisted my arm I'd say the Bio's are a little more solid at impact.

Forgiveness - honestly I don't think you'd see a truly measurable difference, though there may be some if we get really detailed. The variable weighting in the Bio's is pretty spiffy and I thought they were nice off-center. The MT's are big hollow body cavity, so again - off center is going to be treated pretty nicely.

For what it's worth, I think the TT's are in the same realm of forgiveness as just about any other standard GI iron too. Again, there are surely small differences, but they are a full cavity as well. A little less size heel/toe I guess. Smaller sole. I was actually just hitting them yesterday and had a good number of low face impacts before I got warmed up and was very pleased at the distance I saw.

JMAN;
Two set of clubs I'm looking at are a combo with Altitudes, MT & TT or the BIO CELL combo set. Both have a great feel (on the BIO CELL +) however I'm a little concerned the more compact 588 head may not be as forgiving towards the toe. I'm a 15 hcp with a 90 ss (senior).
Can you compare the MT versus the BIO CELL in forgiveness and feel?
Thanks

Bio to MT as Hawk said is really a wash IMO. Both are aesthetically similar as far as overall size profile is concerned (sole width, topline, etc) but the MT's do indeed get more "shallow" into the longer irons which is something to keep in mind. Distance wise, both long, both want to launch the ball high, both interact well through impact. Off the toe, forgiveness is definitely there in each as well.

TT to Bio+, here is where there is a larger difference IMO. The TT's are larger than the Bio+'s. The +'s have a small profile, thinner topline, thinner sole, less offset, more demanding appearance. Length is similar, but IMO the TT's are more forgiving than the +'s across the face.

Taking the 5 iron to the range today so get a feel for distance and dispersion compared to the 5h.

Back