Golfers/Tennis Elbow

tander

Reaction score
Handicap
Wondering if anyone has or had tennis or golfers elbow. I have had a case for about three weeks straight. I normally get it for a day or two and it is gone but this time it is staying with me. I have been taking Advil and wearing one of those arm bands and both have hepled. I haven't hit a golf ball since it started bothering me. If you have had it, what did you do, did it affect your game, is it worth it to get the shot?

Wondering if anyone has or had tennis or golfers elbow. I have had a case for about three weeks straight. I normally get it for a day or two and it is gone but this time it is staying with me. I have been taking Advil and wearing one of those arm bands and both have hepled. I haven't hit a golf ball since it started bothering me. If you have had it, what did you do, did it affect your game, is it worth it to get the shot?
I've had Darter's elbow, same thing. Just let it heal up, took a few days if I recall.

Is the area of your elbow that hurts on the inside or the outside if your have your arms straight out with your palm up? Golfer's elbow and tennis elbow are two different injuries. I can help you out, I just need to first know which one it is.

I fought tennis elbow for years. Had to take 6 months off and then I was back to normal.

Is the area of your elbow that hurts on the inside or the outside if your have your arms straight out with your palm up? Golfer's elbow and tennis elbow are two different injuries. I can help you out, I just need to first know which one it is.

My pain comes from the inside.

Most people don't know that and think the two aren't the same. I suffered from golfers elbow and was treated with rest, ice, and a brace. I also recieved a cortizon shot but that just covers the pain.

The best advice for you is to see a doctor and get a professional opinion.

Last edited:
Most people don't know that and think the two are the same. I suffered from golfers elbow and was treated with rest, ice, and a brace. I also recieved a cortizon shot but that just covers the pain.

The best advice for you is to see a doctor and get a professional opinion.

I was going to see a doc in about two weeks, just wanted to see what others had done for it.

I had a pretty severe case of one of those elbow things haha.

When I was 13, I had a severely strained elbow tendon due to pitching in baseball. I took a 6 month break, didn't help.

Ending up quitting baseball forever, and after four years now it's finally better.

Anyways, just take a break. It'll get better.

I had it so bad I couldn't pick up a book or turn a door knob. Rest and Advil for the inflammation, but the cure came from a simple exercise I was given by a golf buddy. Get a 10 lb. dumbell and do wrist curls with it. Start with 10 reps of palm up curls and also 10 palm down reverse curls. Apparently this strengthens the affected area, and helps heal it.

When I was 13, I had a severely strained elbow tendon due to pitching in baseball. I took a 6 month break, didn't help.

Ending up quitting baseball forever, and after four years now it's finally better.

Anyways, just take a break. It'll get better.

I developed elbow problems from throwing curve and screw balls when I was 10-13. To this day I can't throw a baseball or football for more than a few minutes and I'm 48. It was kind of a bummer at the time because I was a lefty and had a good fastball and could throw wicked breaking balls. Back then they didn't know young kids shouldn't throw breaking balls.

Then I took up golf and all was well.

Kevin

I developed elbow problems from throwing curve and screw balls when I was 10-13. To this day I can't throw a baseball or football for more than a few minutes and I'm 48. It was kind of a bummer at the time because I was a lefty and had a good fastball and could throw wicked breaking balls. Back then they didn't know young kids shouldn't throw breaking balls.

Kevin

Hey, I'm the exact same way! Lefty with a breaking ball!

I threw an insane slider...kids used to laugh about it in the field. We weren't aware sliders were still harmful. After about 5 years, it messed up my arm. When I was 15, I knew it was going to be my last year, so then I really started throwing CURVEBALLS for some fun. And boy, was it fun! lol

This year is really the first year I've noticed it's completely gone. I can throw a football a good 60 yards in the air at my brother's flag football practices to help them warm up, and no problems anymore. Feels great :D

Edit: Oh, and when I had tendinitis, my arm pretty much automatically went into a "sling". I couldn't really move my arm from the "sling" position.

Last edited:
I have gotten bursitis once (aka tennis elbow). But this was a few years ago before I even started playing golf and I def. don't play tennis. I went to my doctor's and to be on the safe side, she had me get a blood test (one on each arm) because my elbow was extremely tender (not to mention really swollen) even to the softest touch so she was hopefully ruling out an infection. Then I had to go the ER and eventually it was determined that I had bursitis. RICE is great! Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate!! That's what the doctor told me to do.

I had what I thought was tennis elbow. I didn't know better, but played tennis and golf and the pian was from the elbow up into my arm. I ended up with a chiropratcor that kept me coming back for months until I finally went to a regular doc that shot cortozon in my arm. Hey, it solved the problem, along with a month off the course.

No pain from that to this day.

Kevin

Ditto. I had a big time slider and developed a screwball that would back em out of the box. I guess none of us realized the long term consequences of that activity.

I had golfer's elbow for years. I made some swing changes, went to graphite shafts to let it rest and now it is a thing of the past. The graphite shafts helped quite a bit.

I've had it for two years now. Some days it's very bad, other days it's okay. I use soft Winn grips to help dampen vibration, the Bionic glove, use a "soft" golf ball, and DO NOT hit off mats. In addition the next time I get my clubs re-gripped I'm going to have ProSoft inserts installed: myOstrich Golf Clubmakers

Good luck!

Golfers/Tennis elbow

Golfers/Tennis elbow

I had a severe case of golfer's elbow to the point I had to stop playing golf. Ice, rest, forearm strap helped but no cure. My chiropractor couldn't help. Went to my physician and he gave me a cortizone shot. Helped slightly. He sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. A steroid/cortizone shot once every 3 weeks,for nine weeks. 50% improvement, but no cure. And, of course, he wanted to operate.
Luckily, my chiropractor went on vacation because the chiropractor who covered for him saw me a said" Myofascial". Viola!!! That was it. I'm now back to playing golf and the elbow is fine. I mean 100% fine. There is no residual pain at all.
I know it was a long story but I wanted you to see how much this ailment is misdiagnosed. Do some research on myofascial. But let me suggest the book that helped me the most, not just for golfer's elbow but you'll be surprised how many ailments it addresses. " The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook- your self treatment guide for pain relief " by Clair Davies. I bought it on Amazon.com for about $14. The best $14 I ever spent.

I was going to see a doc in about two weeks, just wanted to see what others had done for it.

Hold the club softly. Holding the club with tension can lead to tendon problems.

I've been experiencing some tightness, sometimes sharp pain on the inside of my right elbow (I'm a righty). Had my chiro look at it, he said there were no structural issues. I've been hitting the advil, ice, stretch, routine, and it's getting better.

I do believe it was brought on by hitting cold range balls off mats over the winter. I'll also be doing a bit more specific warmup for the elbow this year. It doesn't bother me at all while hitting balls, but the day after it usually is pretty tight.

I had a bad case of tendinitis in the right elbow at one time. Got progressively worse until I could not turn a doorknob and shaking hands was an excruciating experience. Saw an orthopedic surgeon who gave me a cortisone shot in the elbow, had me taking Ibuprofen 3x a day for a week, and I was in a sling for a month. He told me that the sling wasn't so much for support as to remind me that I was NOT to use my right arm for ANYTHING for a month. No writing, eating, typing, NOTHING. I told him that I drove a manual transmission car and he told me I could drive but that the arm went right back in the sling on arrival. I actually learned to use chopsticks left-handed. At the end of a month my elbow was fine with no recurrence.

-Steven

:bashful:
I've been experiencing some tightness, sometimes sharp pain on the inside of my right elbow (I'm a righty). Had my chiro look at it, he said there were no structural issues. I've been hitting the advil, ice, stretch, routine, and it's getting better.

I did the same with the advil, stretch, ice, and after a week it is a lot better. I'm still not going to hit a golf ball until it is completely well, which is going to be hard to do.

I had a severe case of golfer's elbow to the point I had to stop playing golf. Ice, rest, forearm strap helped but no cure. My chiropractor couldn't help. Went to my physician and he gave me a cortizone shot. Helped slightly. He sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. A steroid/cortizone shot once every 3 weeks,for nine weeks. 50% improvement, but no cure. And, of course, he wanted to operate.
Luckily, my chiropractor went on vacation because the chiropractor who covered for him saw me a said" Myofascial". Viola!!! That was it. I'm now back to playing golf and the elbow is fine. I mean 100% fine. There is no residual pain at all.
I know it was a long story but I wanted you to see how much this ailment is misdiagnosed. Do some research on myofascial. But let me suggest the book that helped me the most, not just for golfer's elbow but you'll be surprised how many ailments it addresses. " The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook- your self treatment guide for pain relief " by Clair Davies. I bought it on Amazon.com for about $14. The best $14 I ever spent.

Water;
I have read much about this subject and found yours to be one of the more intersting along with the x pitchers. Ive had tennis elbow for three years with it jumping back and forth from left arm to right. I have been resting it from golf since November and it is still not gone. Now snow shoveling and lifting heavy items bring the pain back. I'm 60 and only playing golf regularly since 50. I'm starting to think this is also from old sport days when wrestling in high school and college.
My plan now is switching to graphite shafts, staying away from heavy weight training and become more religious with the RICE.
I'm also going to look into the myofascial. I believe this is what my niece who just graduated from PT suggested.
I'm new to this site and find it refreshing from the golfwrx site. Most of those people are in a much lower handicap range than me.

weten2

weten2

I know the myofascial thing sounds a bit out there but it's worth researching. Once you read up on the subject it makes sense. For my elbow injury I had myofascial, which basically are tight knots in the muscle, in my tricep and forearm. These knots were constricting making the muscles tight and somewhat shortened. This constriction was affecting the nearest joint, my elbow. That is why it's misdiagnosed. Most doctors look at the sympton's location but sometimes that's not the source of the pain. In my case, the doctors kept looking at my elbow but that is just where the pain appeared. The actual injury was elsewhere, in my tricep and forearm.
Most time myofascial, it's also called trigger points, is the cause of most golfer's and tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc. The list goes on and on. Many needless operations due to misdiagnosis. It's worth looking into.
Like I suggested in my previous thread, buy the Trigger Point book. It's an easy read for the layman, like myself. It's worked wonders for me.
Read my next thread.

I ran out of space above. I've got another story on how the trigger point book helped me. I like to walk when I play golf, but recently my feet have started to bother me towards the end of the round. My inner ankles, my arches, even my toes were hurting. I would come home and get off my feet and elevate them which would help. After a couple more rounds of golf the pain was getting worse and elevating them wasn't working. I was getting worried.
So, I pulled out my trigger point workbook looked up pain in my ankles, arches, and toes. It instructed me to examine various locations in my calf muscles. I found the appropriate knots in my calves and have been working them out.. I'm now back to walking the course.
The book is much more than about golfer's and tennis elbow. It's the whole body. Good book to have for a reference.
I agree about this site. It's geared a bit more towards my game. Not as snobbish as some other sites. Just a bunch of golfers sharing their golf experiences with others.

Back