** KBS Shafts Official Thread **

Hey Conrad - just went Tour 90's in my AP1's and it's like coming home. Smoooooooooooth and easy to swing. Been missing them for a long time.

That sounds pretty darn sexy, Hawk. Now you have me pondering a set of Titleist irons to go with the extra KBS Tour shafts I have.

That sounds pretty darn sexy, Hawk. Now you have me pondering a set of Titleist irons to go with the extra KBS Tour shafts I have.

Really brought them to life for me. Needed a little more height and something that matched up with my swing better. Long time coming and I'm glad I got it done.

Really brought them to life for me. Needed a little more height and something that matched up with my swing better. Long time coming and I'm glad I got it done.

Very cool. Definitely have to keep my eye out for what happens when winter actually ends and you get to play these.

Very cool. Definitely have to keep my eye out for what happens when winter actually ends and you get to play these.

I actually got a round in last week believe it or not. We've been battered, but not as bad as you guys.

Thanks for the question. The TOUR 90 is more flexible and helps get the ball in the air with more spin. The CT-LITE is lower launch and less spin than the TOUR 90. The stiffness will be higher with the CT-LITE. Stiffness/frequency measurement is relative on how you measure the shaft (butt stiffness, mid, tip stiffness). I think you will see the performance you are looking for in the CT-LITE S flex.

Thanks,
Conrad

Thanks for the reply and the information. I have ordered a c-taper lite S flex for my 6 iron. Will put it in and see how it does.
I really do like the feel of the tour 90's and know that the c-taper is going to feel different. On the chance that I don't like the feel of the c-taper lite or that it doesn't give me the ball flight I am looking for, I have thought about also trying a tour in R flex. Does the tour have a similar feel to the tour 90? Also how would the tour in R flex compare to the tour 90 S flex?

Thanks for the reply and the information. I have ordered a c-taper lite S flex for my 6 iron. Will put it in and see how it does.
I really do like the feel of the tour 90's and know that the c-taper is going to feel different. On the chance that I don't like the feel of the c-taper lite or that it doesn't give me the ball flight I am looking for, I have thought about also trying a tour in R flex. Does the tour have a similar feel to the tour 90? Also how would the tour in R flex compare to the tour 90 S flex?

I'm sure CM will answer you too, but I do have pretty extensive experience with both of those shafts in those flexes.

To me, they are fairly close in performance, but the 90 still feels better to me. I like a little lagginess in an iron shaft though I guess. However, the difference was not really that pronounced for me. Maybe a slight lowering of trajectory with the Tour R.

Thanks for the followup. The TOUR and TOUR90 will definitely have similar feel. The TOUR R will be slightly stiffer than the TOUR90 Stiff flex. Because it is a little stiffer, and the TOUR R is a different design, the ball flight and spin will be lower than the TOUR90.

Thanks
Conrad

Thanks for the information. Looks like both the c-taper lite and the tour will do what I am looking for, a little lower ball flight than I have now with the tour 90's. I guess it will come down to which ones feels the best and has the most consistency.
Another question, I have been choking down on my current clubs and will most likely go 1/2" short on the new shafts. Will that make much if any difference in the flex? What about the weight? Maybe 1 to 2 grams lighter?

Hey Conrad,

I currently game the Tour's in a soft-stepped x-flex in my 4-PW & GW. I really do love the feel and performance except for the 4-iron. Before I replace that club with some sort of hybrid, I would like to try a C-Taper Lite shaft in the 4-iron (for a little more elevation). Also my longer irons (4, 5 & 6) are bent progressively stronger to fill the gap to the hybrid that replaced my 3-iron. So my 4-iron basically plays more like a 3-iron at 22° of loft.

So my questions; Should I stick with a 4i x-flex in the CTL's? Or soft-step a 3i (or even a 2i) shaft into my 4-iron, maintaining the same pattern as my Tour shafts?

Thanks!

Correct, the 1/2" shorter will not affect performance. If anything the weight may go down 1-2 grams, but that is not noticeable. Have fun with the testing!

Thanks
Conrad

Thanks for the information. Looks like both the c-taper lite and the tour will do what I am looking for, a little lower ball flight than I have now with the tour 90's. I guess it will come down to which ones feels the best and has the most consistency.
Another question, I have been choking down on my current clubs and will most likely go 1/2" short on the new shafts. Will that make much if any difference in the flex? What about the weight? Maybe 1 to 2 grams lighter?

Thanks for the Q. If you want to try the C-TAPER LITE in your TOUR setup, I suggest going with the loft of the club rather than the number. So you could use the 3i CTL for your "strong" 4i. I know your TOUR shafts are soft stepped, but I think the weight and different design of the CTL will already change the performance enough that you don't need to soft step.

Thanks
Conrad

Hey Conrad,

I currently game the Tour's in a soft-stepped x-flex in my 4-PW & GW. I really do love the feel and performance except for the 4-iron. Before I replace that club with some sort of hybrid, I would like to try a C-Taper Lite shaft in the 4-iron (for a little more elevation). Also my longer irons (4, 5 & 6) are bent progressively stronger to fill the gap to the hybrid that replaced my 3-iron. So my 4-iron basically plays more like a 3-iron at 22° of loft.

So my questions; Should I stick with a 4i x-flex in the CTL's? Or soft-step a 3i (or even a 2i) shaft into my 4-iron, maintaining the same pattern as my Tour shafts?

Thanks!

Hi Conrad, Callaway now offers CTL but stiff is softest flex. I normally use Tour regular (110g) but liked the thought of higher launch and tighter feel......should I order CTL SOFTSTEPPED once, twice or not at all?

Thanks for the question. Callaway will probably not offer the R flex anytime soon. The S flex will be similar to the TOUR R flex. I suggest soft stepping it once, and that should be a slightly different performance. The CT and TOUR shafts are very different designs and load differently. If possible, I suggest hitting the CT LITE or CT in person first. Thanks again!

Conrad

Hi Conrad, Callaway now offers CTL but stiff is softest flex. I normally use Tour regular (110g) but liked the thought of higher launch and tighter feel......should I order CTL SOFTSTEPPED once, twice or not at all?

Thanks for the question. Callaway will probably not offer the R flex anytime soon. The S flex will be similar to the TOUR R flex. I suggest soft stepping it once, and that should be a slightly different performance. The CT and TOUR shafts are very different designs and load differently. If possible, I suggest hitting the CT LITE or CT in person first. Thanks again!Conrad
I've hit the c taper standard in stiff and just a bit much .....close but regular flex would be better. ...the tour also in the softer tip and higher balance point provide some indifferent shots on what seem to be fairly decent swings.

Just bought a set of taylormade rocketbladez tour irons with kbs tour stiff shafts. Have th he dynamic gold s 300 in the clubs I have been playing for years. What can I expect in the kbs shafts. Will they perform about the same.

Conrad,

Thanks for your help with my two shafts, got them yesterday and they are ready to go for my round tomorrow.

Thanks for the question and it is great to hear you are giving KBS a try! Thanks!

The TOUR shaft will provide a little more spine and slightly higher launch angle than the DG shaft. Most players comment that the TOUR shaft has a much smoother feel at impact and a tighter shot dispersion.

Thanks,
Conrad

Just bought a set of taylormade rocketbladez tour irons with kbs tour stiff shafts. Have th he dynamic gold s 300 in the clubs I have been playing for years. What can I expect in the kbs shafts. Will they perform about the same.

Just wanted to post that I love my Tours and my Hi-Rev in my 58 so far. They've been performing great my last few rounds.

Just wanted to post that I love my Tours and my Hi-Rev in my 58 so far. They've been performing great my last few rounds.

I agree I have the tour shafts and hi rev in my 50* . Great feel and kick in just the right spot.

swing your swing

Correct, the 1/2" shorter will not affect performance. If anything the weight may go down 1-2 grams, but that is not noticeable. Have fun with the testing!

Thanks
Conrad

Well after trying out the different shafts I decided to go with the C-Taper Lite in regular flex. So far they feel great! About the same weight as the Tour 90's and slightly lower ball flight. I have also picked up about 5 yds per club in distance. Was at the range yesterday and had some wind and did find that these shafts do seem to hold their line a little better and not balloon.
I also had a Tour R 9 iron shaft put in my 54* wedge. I like it a lot better than the DG wedge flex that I had. Lighter weight and alot more feel on shots around the green. Am thinking about trying a Hi-Rev shaft in my 58* wedge.
Thanks for all the help and information.

Conrad, I did speak to you on the phone about the C-Taper Lite shafts. Thanks for the help.

Great Thread KBS. Could I ask you a few quick questions.
What is the difference in frequency between the KBS tour custom white stiff ss once and the KBS tour custom white regular hs once?
Also are the iron shafts only avaliable with a red label
And one last thing could you give any advice on where to place the spine of the shaft once I find it (9 o'clock vs 3 o'clock) for a right hand golfer.

Cheers

Last edited:
Conrad, Thanks. Have been able to get out and play the last couple of weeks. You are spot on. They are defiantly much smoother than the DG shafts I have used for years. The club and shaft change has netted me 11 more per iron with a much tighter dispersion. thanks for a great product.
Thanks for the question and it is great to hear you are giving KBS a try! Thanks!

The TOUR shaft will provide a little more spine and slightly higher launch angle than the DG shaft. Most players comment that the TOUR shaft has a much smoother feel at impact and a tighter shot dispersion.

Thanks,
Conrad

Hi Conrad,
I got fitted for Mizuno MP54 irons at a Demo Day event and the suggestion was "KBS Tour Stiff" or "XP 105 Stiff" for the shafts.
I want the KBS shaft and am unsure about which KBS weight would be best.
The fitter never said which weight shaft would be best for me. Should he have? Is there a stock KBS shaft that you (KBS) sell to Mizuno?
I see people on the forum that have Mizuno MP54 irons with different KBS weighted Shafts. 120g? 130g? Would 130 be too heavy?
Trying to figure it all out so I get the right shaft.
Thanks for your help.
Tim

Where can I get fitted for KBS shafts in Denver? I have heard nothing but great things about KBS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Both PGA and GS have them in several of their fitting carts. Golftec could offer a more detailed fitting, but dont know of any specialized source. D Lance golf could also be an option. They have a pretty nice fitting facility, but not sure of the KBS piece.

Back