2.5 hour rounds, would it work for your course?

fairband

#THPLegacy
Reaction score
Handicap
A local website sponsored yet another take on pace of plays issues this past weekend, it was featured on Golf.com here is the story:

Is speeding up the pace of play the fastest way to grow the game?

A quick test of the concept showed promising results.

The experiment took place Saturday at Deer Run Golf Club in Victoria, Minnesota, where twosomes were dispatched with a simple mandate: play 18 holes in two-and-a-half hours or less.

“A common complaint about golf is that it takes too long,” said event organizer Kevin Unterreiner, owner of TwinCitiesGolf.com, a local golf website. “It’s not when you play in less than two-and-a-half hours.”
Unterreiner first proposed his plan for an uptempo outing on Hackgolf.org, a TaylorMade-backed open source initiative aimed at generating ideas for making the game more affordable and fun. He found a ready partner in Deer Run head pro Tom Abts, a longtime advocate of fast play.

The event featured 12 golfers of varying skill levels. Riding in shared carts, they went out in twosomes as the first groups of the day, spaced at four-minute intervals. Triple-bogey was the maximum score allowed per hole.

By morning’s end, golfers who normally shoot in the 70s completed their rounds in 2:04; 80s golfers wrapped up play in 2:15-2:20; and 90s golfers finished in 2:20-2:27. According to Unterreiner, none of the golfers reported feeling rushed.

“Something else we learned is that a course can send players out as twosomes and not lose any revenue because you can still get the same amount of golfers out in an hour,” Unterreiner said. “Instead of foursomes playing at eight-minute intervals, you have twosomes at four minute intervals.”
The only difference, he added, is that the groups get around nearly twice as fast.

With this first trial-run behind him, Unterreiner said he hopes to build on the idea by staging similar events throughout the summer at 10 to 15 other courses around Minnesota. To find out more about the outings, visit http://www.2hourgolf.com

I like the idea of being able to get out and get around the course in a timely fashion on the weekend, but I have a few questions for you;
How do you feel about twosomes only? Does it hurt you normal group or do you struggle to fill out your foursome?

Deer Run being on board doesn't surprise me they have Fast Play Fridays where if you play before noon on Fridays if you don't make the turn in under 2 hours you are given a Raincheck and asked to leave, would you agree to that?

You may have noticed that they conveniently left out the 100 plus shooters, is pace of play a big enough issue for you to stop golfing with someone that shoots in the 100's? I know many high handicappers that can play ready golf and I would have liked to see them added to the test run.

Do you think your local course would allow the first hour of tee times to be utilized this way if they still had the same number of golfers?

This of course, is an issue we talk about constantly but I thought this was worth mentioning and look forward to seeing what my fellow THPer's think.

That is awesome. It would be cool if they sent out the next 4 groups of foursomes with the mandate to play in 3.5 hours. This sounds like a course that would receive my business.

I think twosomes would be great. Pretty cool story! Thanks for sharing

I would love it if my course was able to do this but there is always that one group that is slow and does not really care

I would love it if my course was able to do this but there is always that one group that is slow and does not really care

I agree, but I think a twosome is easier to play around than a foursome. If there's a foursome slow enough to be played around by another foursome, it still takes awhile. I've been both the foursome playing through and the foursome letting people play through, and neither is a particularly pleasant feeling.

I think for my course it would work riding a cart, but the distance between holes makes walking one of the most awkward parts. I could play as a single, walk, never see another soul on the course, and it would take me about 3 hours.

It's an unwritten rule at my home course that the first 3 or 4 tee times on weekends are reserved for fast players. I have walked numerous early Friday or Saturday rounds as a threesome or foursome in under 3 hours. No problem as a twosome with a cart in finishing under 2:15. Love the idea as slow weekend golf turns a lot of people away from the game. Many of my rounds now are with my 8 year old daughter who shoots about 65 for 9 holes and with a cart we have no trouble playing 9 holes in under 75 minutes.

This is an awesome idea. I normally go out as a single in the summer first think and play 9 a lot and get it done in about an hour.

I'd be interested in a day or two per week that was designated fast play day. I wouldn't want it to be a very common thing though... I definitely would not be willing to tell my father (who will likely never shoot under 100) that we can't play together on a regular basis. He doesn't create any pace issues at 3.5 hours and I think we could get done in 3 without a problem. I don't know if we could finish 18 in under 2.5 though.

IMO, a catch-22 for a plan like this on some courses is that if they really wanted to speed up pace, they would not allow carts during "fast play" times. That cuts into profits in a big way, though. Yes, some courses that have a lot of walking in between holes will play faster with carts, but on your average course two golfers on one cart is frequently slower than two golfers walking. With four, I think the walkers would almost always finish faster than the cart riders. I just don't see many local courses letting go of that cart revenue.

Cool idea if they did it for the first few hour or two but you would tick off a lot of guys that have the regular 4 some Saturday morning.

I really like this idea. Sign me up for sub 2.5 hour rounds all day, every day!

but on your average course two golfers on one cart is frequently slower than two golfers walking. With four, I think the walkers would almost always finish faster than the cart riders. I just don't see many local courses letting go of that cart revenue.

In my opinion its not very accurate (but geography plays a role). Can it be? Absolutely, but that is taking the assumption that those in the cart dont use it properly and those that are walking do.
And its no different with 4.

It all comes down to playing ready golf and if done in a cart, its significantly faster than walking. Sadly, slow golfers are slow golfers and riding vs walking does not change that.

Well it definitely wouldn't work for my home course. We don't have any carts here. But I also wouldn't say that pace if play is too slow here. We usually play 18 in around 4 hours. That is totally fine with me.

I played 36 yesterday as a single w/cart and it took me a shade under 3.5 hours. I played through only 4 groups as the course was not particularly crowded. Only had to wait behind 1 of the groups for about 10 minutes for them to let me through so I could have only been slightly faster. With most of my friends I would have easily made the 2.5 hour time they imposed, but I have 3 different golf friends that there is no way we could do it. Most slow players have no idea they are slow.

About the 100 shooter, one of the fastest players I know was a 100's shooter until about 3 years ago, he could not hit the ball very high but he did hit it straight so time was not a problem with him then or now.

I absolutely cannot see my local course adopting this, too many standing early tee times on the weekend so the uproar would intimidate management into not doing it IMO.

Courses here struggled to get people done in under 4.5 to 4 hours. The course I regularly play at is trying to implement a 4 hour time limit on rounds, which would be great if they could do, but I don't see it. My Dad and I played Sunday morning in 2 hours and 15 minutes, not playing in a rush. I would sign up for 2.5 hour rounds every day if I could and be ok with playing as a twosome.

As someone who shoots inn 90s-low 100s I can still play in 2.5 if I really bust it (the cart helps). I generally know what my next club is based on the yardage markers. I also watch my ball generally like a hawk so I am not spending a ton of time looking. If I can't find it pretty quickly I will drop hit then look while others are hitting.

For me, I could breeze past that time and have done so many times. When Nerfny and I go out in the morning and grab the 1st tee time, playing as a twosome, we get that done easily when riding. Walking takes us around 3 hours. For the masses I'm not sure how it would work on my course due to layout, where almost every hole is surrounded by woods.

Maybe my wife wouldnt hate golf if I was gone and back in only half the time....interesting concept

It's a nice idea, but how many casual players would want to play as just a twosome? Golf is a social game that is a fun time when played in good company and most think of it as such. They don't want to play just to get in a round in the fastest possible time. I can have a good time with one other person, but three others are typically more fun and competitive. Sure the round might be faster, but I doubt it is as much fun. If eight good friends want to get together and play on a Saturday, I'll bet they'll be disappointed when they have to play as four twos rather than two fours.

why do we have to play that fast? I understand the pace of play issue, but playing in 2 hours would take the fun out of it for me.

for those that dont like the game enough to spend 4h 4h30 on a course, they have 9 hole courses, you even start to see some 12 holes courses around here, I am not sure if this is because of a lack of real estate or if they are marketing a faster round but you start to see them and they seems quite busy.

I like this game mostly because it allows me a day off of everything else with my friends, I wouldnt like it to take less time

I'd love to see the level of play to achieve those numbers. 70's golfers playing 18 in 2:04. Thats 124 mins to play 18...under 7 mins per hole...or 1 shot (assuming the pair shot 75 each) every 49 seconds. So after EVERY single shot they have 49 seconds to watch ball land, put club back, drive to next location, get club, determine shot and distance, and hit. Then of course there's the greens where you keep the cart 15-20 yards away (or further). You grab putter and walk up to green, putt, and walk back...then drive to get hole, grab driver, etc...

Not saying it's not possible but give me a break. 2 hour rounds are "hit and run to the ball and hit again" that's not golf. Probably doesn't allow for a stop to take a leak, grab a drink, or have fun. I'd be willing to bet that tour players could barely shoot a 70-something if they had to play 18 that fast.

I like the idea, but I'm also one that doesn't have issues with a 4 hour round.

I don't think many have issues with a 4 hour round as it's the acceptable norm. The bigger issue is the 4 1/2 - 5 hour round.

Keep up with the group in front of you and you typically won't have people waiting on you. People hate waiting...and I agree with them.

why do we have to play that fast? I understand the pace of play issue, but playing in 2 hours would take the fun out of it for me.

for those that dont like the game enough to spend 4h 4h30 on a course, they have 9 hole courses, you even start to see some 12 holes courses around here, I am not sure if this is because of a lack of real estate or if they are marketing a faster round but you start to see them and they seems quite busy.

I like this game mostly because it allows me a day off of everything else with my friends, I wouldnt like it to take less time

wait till you see how the place we are playing on Saturday deals with slow play. They track carts from tee 1 to 18, and when you get off pace, they have a ranger that comes out and tells you to speed it up. If you don't speed it up, they will tell you to pick up your ball and move to the next tee.

I'd love to see the level of play to achieve those numbers. 70's golfers playing 18 in 2:04. Thats 124 mins to play 18...under 7 mins per hole...or 1 shot (assuming the pair shot 75 each) every 49 seconds. So after EVERY single shot they have 49 seconds to watch ball land, put club back, drive to next location, get club, determine shot and distance, and hit. Then of course there's the greens where you keep the cart 15-20 yards away (or further). You grab putter and walk up to green, putt, and walk back...then drive to get hole, grab driver, etc...

Not saying it's not possible but give me a break. 2 hour rounds are "hit and run to the ball and hit again" that's not golf. Probably doesn't allow for a stop to take a leak, grab a drink, or have fun. I'd be willing to bet that tour players could barely shoot a 70-something if they had to play 18 that fast.

It really isn't that hard to do in a cart. My dad and I will both shoot in the eightys in around 2 hours. That is with plenty of conversation, stopping to pass, usually after the twelfth, and losing a ball or two.

wait till you see how the place we are playing on Saturday deals with slow play. They track carts from tee 1 to 18, and when you get off pace, they have a ranger that comes out and tells you to speed it up. If you don't speed it up, they will tell you to pick up your ball and move to the next tee.

I've played there and I'm ok with how they deal, their 4 and a half hour benchmark makes a lot of sense.

Thats not accurate. I have played TONS of rounds as a twosome in 2 hours flat and never once thought we were "running".
And the last time I did it, it was playing with a tour player and they shot 68.

Back