Fitting & Instruction w/ Pat O'Brien

#Cookie

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
SPi Fitting Recap Time!!

So, yesterday was the big day that I had been looking forward to for awhile. My fitting was setup for 3PM at Lakewood Country Club in Dallas with Pat O’Brien. I was lucky enough to have niteowl03 (Aaron) accompany me on this journey and help to capture some of the moments via photo & video.

We arrived around 2:45 and found Pat out on the practice green working with another client. It was neat to stand back and just watch him interact with the golfer and get an idea for what he is looking for and working on with providing instruction. He acknowledged us when walked towards the green and then at 3PM sharp he walked over and we got started.

Getting Started:

The first roughly 10 minutes or so was Pat getting to know me. He wanted to know how I was as a golfer in general and what my goals were. After that, we dove straight into me as a putter. Pat wanted to know why I’m rolling what I roll now (M5X counterbalanced), what my misses were, putts per round, etc. I shared with him my experience since converting from standard to counterbalanced and how I felt that it helped me regarding a repeatable stroke and being easier to maintain a rhythmic putting stroke especially on the putts inside 8 feet.

Pat was quick to admit that he doesn’t have a bunch of thoughts and/or experience with counterbalanced putters. He is more of a traditional instructor that really focuses on posture/setup regardless of actual putter being used. He had me roll around 5-6 puttswith my current M5X to just get a feel for my setup/posture/stroke. My setup is slightly open at address but with me placing the ball in the middle of my stance with the putter behind it, this causes me to slightly cup my wrists which adds loft to the putter and this will cause me to swipe across the ball which is why my common miss is to the left…..more on this later. He then proceeded to show me how I had a shaft lean that was pointing to the right shoulder which adds loft and causes those pulls to the left.

I guess my attempts at following the SPi methodology has paid off as Pat immediately said that my actual grip is perfect and he wouldn’t change a thing there. He also indicated that for someone that sits down at a desk all day, my posture was fantastic and not showing any slouch as he expected. He handed me his 35” mFGP and asked me to roll a few putts. I was doing the same as mentioned above with the ball in the middle of stance and putter behind it resulting in a pull. To correct this, we worked on the “approach” to the ball. In doing this the goal is to walk in and leave my left foot perpendicular to your line until the putter touches the ground and then place the putter in the middle of my body while focused on keeping the shaft vertical.

Here is a pic of the walk in look:

Proper setup:

When we made these adjustments, it removed the tension in my left forearm that was created from cupping the wrists. From this point, I was in a comfortable position everything was free to happen which ultimately is just allowing a turn of the shoulders/chest to create the stroke. Pat was quick to say not “rocking” the shoulders as that is more of a tilt then a simple turn. At this point, I was dropping 15 footers like it was nothing and everything just felt natural and not forced whatsoever.

Fitting:

After we worked through the stroke, Pat went inside and brought out like 6 different heads (FGP, PTM, Si, and X series) and a few shafts at different lengths to get me dialed in along with a sightline mirror. We spent a few minutes over the mirror ensuring correct posture and then seeing where eyes were on the mirror for proper setup over ball. We went back and forth between 34.5 and 35 until coming to the conclusion that the 35 just left a little too much extended past my left palm and agreed that 34.5 was just spot on.

With the length dialed in, the head shape was really my decision based on preference of shape, insert, and finish. I rolled the PTM2 and the head shape just looked to “squished” and “abbreviated”. I immediately eliminated the Si3 due to not caring for the head shape or insert. This really left me with the classic tried and true FGP shape. I bounced back and forth between the PTM1 and the X2. After spending around 30 minutes trying both heads at varying lengths, the results showed that the X2 performed better for me in all aspects.

My putter specs:

SeeMore X2
34.5”
68* lie
Grip TBD

Overall:

I thoroughly enjoyed the process and Pat taking the time to meet with me and sharing his expertise. I will be making the transition from a counterbalanced putter to a standard putter and am really looking forward to implementing the changes recommended from Pat along with the solid SPi fundamental base that I already have according to Pat.

Random photos from the experience:

Last edited:
Flipping POB. How cool is that, nice write-up Mr. Cook

What a Tremendous write up Michael. I enjoyed the "Walk-in" Description and wand to give that a try. Thanks for taking the time to put down those thoughts enjoyed reading man!

JM

It was fun to watch this process, Ive played a round or 50 with Cookie and watching him drop back to back to back 15 footers (until I tried to video it) is something ive never seen him do.

He is the best there is.
Im priviliged to call him a friend and learn each time I am around him.

Great write up #Cookie. Amazing that you got to experience this with Pat.

Congrats and great stuff Cookie! I am insanely jealous that you had the privilege that you had the opportunity to learn from and work with the BEST!

That sounds like an awesome experience, makes me think maybe I need to get fitted instead of just playing whatever. Great writeup!

Great write up Cookie . Glad to hear that you were able to have this experience with Past. Can't wait to see the difference this makes for your game.

Love the writeups and the picks. And to think, all this time I thought you were already almost perfect.

Great write up cookster. Enjoyed it. Still cant believe you were fitted by the man.

Pat O'Brien himself. WOW! Wonderful write up on what had to have been an amazing experience. Methinks someone will be going to MB with a DEADLY flatstick...

That right there was pretty damn cool. What an experience to be fit by Pat. Thanks for sharing Cookie

An experience of a lifetime, setting yourself up for the experience of a lifetime.

Cookie, thanks for taking us through it with you!! Looks like some great results were achieved.

Thats pretty awesome, Cookie! Thanks for sharing and its really cool to see that so much can go into a putter fitting. Most people forget about the club you use the most during any given round so its fun to see you get the low down and really get something that will instill confidence on the greens.

Awesome Michael, it's so amazing you got to do this with Pat.

Did Pat have any thoughts on grip size you should be using?

Awesome Michael, it's so amazing you got to do this with Pat.

Did Pat have any thoughts on grip size you should be using?

We really focused on what felt good in hand and the stock Iomic that was on the fitting shaft felt natural to me.

I rolled the 2.0 today and didn't care for how it felt.

Ordered the Pure Classic grip today which is an option from SeeMore and gonna install it on my X2 and see how it feels.

What an amazing experience there, love it!!

Such a great experience Cookie. I'm so happy for you. POB is the man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice write up on your experience with Pat, Miguel! Looking forward to see how your putting improves.

What an experience! Thanks for bringing us along #Cookie.

What a great write up Michael. So cool to see Pat O'Brien getting you dialed it. It's experiences like this that last a lifetime!

So cool. The legend!

Loved this write up. Such a cool experience Cookie!

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Back