Wilson Staff C100 Irons - THP Preview

Excellent pics and early thoughts Dan! If I was looking at a W/S set I think this would be the one I'd gravitate towards first.

The finish on them looks really good. They seemed bigger to my eye than the ci11's did(not saying that's good or bad).

These look awesome! I play the Di11's and I like those. These look like they would fit me perfect. I went online to their get fit fitting site and these were the ones they recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do like the look of these. I bet they perform too.

While I would probably gravitate toward the Control clubs within Wilson's spectrum of clubs, the look on these isn't my favorite.

Does the size of an iron matter if you hit the ball where you want it to go?

I've played blades and I've played larger GI heads before, and I guess I'll just never understand the size issue. For me, it's purely about performance.

I am starting to come over to that side also. Always have played cavity back forged irons with a smaller profile and footprint. Going for my first ever real iron fitting in 2015 amd plan on being completely open minded and going for best performance first and foremost.

Hard to teach us old dogs new tricks sometimes but THP is definitely helping re-train me!

Can't wait to hear more about these irons. Love the look of them. In the market for new irons this year.

Great initial thoughts Dan. Those are some pretty irons. Special thanks for putting the LH availability on the chart in the OP. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Wow, that finish is quite eye catching, love it!

I am starting to come over to that side also. Always have played cavity back forged irons with a smaller profile and footprint. Going for my first ever real iron fitting in 2015 amd plan on being completely open minded and going for best performance first and foremost.

Hard to teach us old dogs new tricks sometimes but THP is definitely helping re-train me!

If you want a silly little trick to learn how to comfortably stand over 'larger-than-blade' irons, go with a different finish. I gamed a set of distance irons a couple years ago that had a dark finish, moving straight into them from blades, and as they were a darker finish, totally took my mind off the head size.

At the end of the day, if you mis-hit a club like this, and then mis-hit a blade, I can just about guarantee you'll like the results better with this iron. My opinion often ends up sounding a bit crass, but it comes from learning the hard way that shiny and thin costs strokes, and it's all about finding the right medium (or playing a blade because you can haha -- Golf is what we make it).

Those look pretty sweet. Be curious to see how the finish on the face holds up. Sounds like performance is pretty solid. Looking forward to more info about these Dan. Keep up the good work.

I am going to admit to being slightly surprised about how much I really like the look of these, so I am looking forward to further thoughts on how these perform

More forgiveness is always useful and I am sure that it costs me a few strokes everytime I hit the course with my current (old) clubs

I have some on course thoughts I'd like to share, as well as preface my expectations for the review of these irons..

To begin, I have quite a bit of experience with demoing distance irons, and I believe many fall short on accuracy and consistency. As this is grouped as a 'control' iron, I am looking forward to finding out just how much consistency I find on off-center strikes. Pre-round range session with a six iron, I was easily able to produce a draw, fade, lower launching shot, as well as a towering flight -- And that was great to see.

What I think will benefit a lot of golfers with the C100 irons is the wider sole that is hidden under a reasonable top line. It will alleviate any unnecessary digging, but I can 100% confirm that it's not a hinderance out of the rough as I'll show with my example:

On my first hole of the night, I found myself 160 yards from the pin, trapped in relatively thick Spring rough. With the C100 8 iron, I cut straight through to the ball and hit a mid launching shot that landing extremely close to the hole and only rolled out a few yards. Much credit to the C100 for getting through the rough with ease.

Face wear doesn't appear like it will be a big issue, but I opted to snap a photo after 10-15 strikes with the 8 iron, consistently finding a spot on the head that made a great contact sound (clean due to mats -- Lots of rain in Ohio lately)

Two additional thoughts:

I put quite a bit of spin on the GW on approach, which impressed me. We've talked on THP about moving set wedges into the bag, and I think many could have success with the C100 GW.

The shiny black finish is very impressive. I worry a bit about the matte finish on the outside of the cavity, but the mirror black finish on the rest of the head is incredibly attractive.

Great start for reviewing these irons, Canadan! The Wilson Staff Di11 review thread was one of the first things that got me to join THP, and I eventually bought a set without even trying them (couldn't find anything local), but I did hit the Ci11's, and I always wondered if those were better in the long run (you know, after I got better haha!). It seems like these c100's are a big step up from the Ci11 irons, and might be the best of both worlds.

Needless to say, I'm very interested to see what you think of these.

Never have owned Wilson Irons before but I would love to have these in the bag. They are some sharp looking irons that is one thing for sure.

The C100 launch the ball very well. I game regular flex iron shafts but found the stiff CL 100 shafts to provide a nice ball flight that was easily repeatable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Man am I wishing for a forum testing on these. I want to try them SO BAD. Awesome pics Dan, can't wait for you to put them through the wringer!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

What he said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those really are gorgeous. I keep looking at these and wanting to hit them. Sadly the demo days for the golf store in town don't include Wilson that I've seen so far. Will have to keep looking.

I'm anxious to hear how you like these dude, they look great. I often wonder why a players iron with minimal offset can't be designed to look like that, maybe my question has been answered?

Good thoughts from the course over the last two days.

While these are categorized as a 'control' series club, I find there to be quite a lot of similarities in the design of these irons to a distance based iron build. A bit bulkier than a standard player iron, with serious lofts, and similarly added length of the iron shaft (which plays well and closer to my standard setup).

What's interesting about the flight, is that it's been quite predictable. I have a tendency to lose balls right with the more forgiving head, as I typically play a draw that ends up sneaking into the wider sweet spot and going straight rather than turning over. With the C100 irons, I played a tight draw all day long, and only hit the ball straight when I wanted to, which is fantastic.

Turf interaction is more than acceptable. Plenty of divot when I go after the ball, and it really glides through the rough with ease despite having a wide sole. Speaking of the sole, while I don't tend to hit balls fat very often, I've had my moments while swinging the C100's, and rather than digging under the ball, there's a nice level of forgiveness there as well, squeaking out additional yardage on poorly struck shots.

The CL100 shafts are predictable in their mid spin/mid launch characteristics. I wouldn't call them flimsy by any stretch, and I'm not dealing with any shaft shuddering or extra lag that many worry about -- I am however losing a bit more distance into wind than I would generally see, but that's predictable for my swing.

I had a really solid ball striking day on course, and the C100's played into it well, including a kick in birdie with a PW. For those looking for some freedom to work the ball while still encouraging quite a bit of distance and forgiveness, you would do well to add these irons to your short list.

Last edited:
Really like these irons. These are what I was fitted for on the Wilson site. They remind me of my MTs. I love your initial thoughts on the workability and forgiveness.

Good thoughts Daniel-san.

For an iron built on 'control' it's impressive how much the C100's promote a consistent flight. I've been playing a small draw with ease, generating some very good, consistent distance, and not having any trouble stopping the ball greenside.

One of the things I think people will really benefit from these irons, especially those with consistency issues, is how well the club bounces off heavy shots that make ground contact a distance behind the ball. Obviously distance is lost, but it's really not as bad as some of the more aggressive soles that dig through the turf relentlessly.

While this could produce a red flag for thinned shots and the inclination to try 'picking' the ball, it's not been an issue for me. Even in situations where the ball is contacted on the lower grooves of the face, I'm still seeing some solid distance. Lower flight, but not a huge gap in what I would expect for total distance.

As always, I welcome any questions you have.

I can't say whether I'm a fan of these or not. They look very bulky to me, however that may be due to the pictures. Great review so far Dan! Good luck!

I can't say whether I'm a fan of these or not. They look very bulky to me, however that may be due to the pictures. Great review so far Dan! Good luck!

What are your fears with a 'bulky' iron Maynard?

What are your fears with a 'bulky' iron Maynard?

It's more if preference for me. From a first impression they look heavy, which actually may not be the case.

How is the weight with these?

Back