Bouncing back after a bad shot or hole

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
How is this stat for you? After a double, triple or a bad hole, how quickly do you bounce back? And the bounce back is relative to your skill level. It could be a bogie, par or birdie.

Do you find this difficult to do? Do you linger on the bad hole for a few holes and make things worse? I guess it comes down to having great short term memory and remembering that it's just a game and not life. We aren't playing for our lively hood hit for personal gain and improvement. Once I grasped that, my bounce back stat really grew.

What say you, how is your bounce back? What is your secret if you have it? What is holding you back if you don't?

I am not a streak player and have really poor short term memory, the next shot or hole will not be affected by the last shot or hole.

Never really thought about it. I'm going to start tracking this stat for my round on Saturday, though.

It takes me several holes to bounce back. I wish it didn't but it does, I'm too hard on myself sometimes and it's always held me back.

I'll light a smoke to settle my.nerves from the aggrivation and focus on the next shot....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

In match play I have no issues as each hole is a fresh start. In stoke play it is only difficult if I have a few bad holes in a row. One bad hole will not typically bother me.

I bounce back very quickly.

I have lots of opportunities to bounce back and consider it a specialty of mine.

Next hole is a totally different hole and once I step on the next tee the past hole is gone.

Say I don't get too down on myself. Bad putting and wedges get me annoyed more than anything, but I don't let things linger.

It depends. I'm usually pretty good at leaving a bad hole behind once I reach the next tee box. However, I'm not as successful in forgetting a bad shot once I reach the next shot. I tend to struggle with a few blow up holes each round, where I let the bad shots compound on top of one another.

I bounce back just wnoderful but then bounce back in again. I have gone (no exaggeration) Par, trip, par, trip ,par,trip through first 6 holes. no ryme or reason or any logic.

So i am a big bouncer. I bounce up I bounce down and I bounce around, I can do it in the sand, i can do it on the land, in a tree or from a tee, on a hill I can take a spill, on the grass or on my ass, on the green I'm not real keen, pick up my quarter I went in the water, I can bounce in the house or with a mouse, in a box with a fox i think i can i do not like green eggs and ham.................Oh sorry i lost my myself for a moment :)

I could use some improvement in this area. From hole to hole I'm usually ok at leaving it behind, but I do tend to follow up a crap shot with an even crappier shot a few times a round.

I don't really think of each hole in a round as being connected. Each hole is like a new puzzle or challenge, so it all gets reset at the tee. I am not good enough to get upset, or need to recover. Bad holes are sort of assumed at this point.

Some of it depends on where it happens in a course, and how well I know the course. For example, the 15th is a pretty tough hole, and scoring poorly for me is pretty common. But I know the 16th is a pretty easy hole that I commonly par or birdie, so I can shake off a poor score on the 15th pretty easily.

On the other hand, the 5th is an easy par 5, followed by a tough par 5 6th. When I score poorly on the 5th, I know I've got an even tougher hole ahead of me, my confidence is pretty shaky going into the 6th.

Usually I'm at least ok at this I think, but I honestly haven't really stat tracked it. May be a good time to start.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Good question! And I have no idea what my bounce back stats would be. I'm pretty good about putting bad shots or holes behind me but would definitely be curious about those numbers. The thing I think have more trouble with is the fall back - make a good birdie and then bogey the next hole - ARGH!

I can move on from the missed driver or long approach shot better than I can a mistake chipping around the greens or poor putting. If I have an issue where I throw strokes away close to the green it irritates me because of the close proximity to the hole. I had thirty yards from the hole on 16 at the King with no hazard/trouble in front of me. Since it was such a wide open and simple looking approach I decided to use my putter (chutt as Mike would say) and then preceded to hit the first one short of the green, the next one just about 10 feet further and the third shot almost into the pond behind the green. I could feel smoke coming out of my ears. The next shot which was on a par three over marsh I pulled hard left because I couldn't get over the crap behind me. Little short shots irritate me where as I can move on from the big ones.

Well, my bounce back varies. When I struggle to bounce back, it is rarely because I'm still "stuck" on the prior bad hole. Usually I'm just having an off day. I really try to just have fun. I'm there with people I like, enjoying the outdoors and a great game. Also, even after bad shots, I absolutely enjoy playing shots from challenging spots. It gives me a rush to pull it off. So even with an awry tee shot, I'm just looking forward to the challenge of that next shot. Who cares what my score is or could be on that hole, let's have fun with this upcoming shot and see if I can pull it off.

City tournament is probably the only time I change my mindset. My bounce back is excellent during that time period. If I have a bad hole, I have absolute confidence in my ability to play each hole as par or birdie. So I just move on, refocus on the next shot. At the end of the day, one bad hole, or even four bad holes won't destroy my round unless I let it.

~Rock

I don't keep any stats, but I don't carry a bad shot or a bad hole very far. I may string several bad swing together, but that just points more to my typical inconsistency than anything else. I shake off bad holes immediately. I've been playing too long to worry about them. I know that I'm going to make bad swings and have bad holes and I just don't let them wreck a good time on the course.

I used to get very frustrated and it would effect me. I've learned to laugh it off, literally, and go to the next hole determined to make up for it.

In my opinion this is one of the greatest lessons golf teaches. It's about seeing connected performance, over time, as a scorecard and to possess equanimity, mental grit, perseverance, and strategy through that whole scorecard.

I think if golf games were only five holes-even five really hard ones-- it would be a very different game.

I stink at this. Especally the short ones. Even though the touchy chip shots can be more difficult than the 5 iron it took to get there. A chunked chip or pitch really P!$$e$ me off and gets in my head.

Last edited:
I used to dwell on a bad hole or shot, but now (for the most part) I just let it go and actually come back more focused on the next hole. I would say I am more apt to birdie a hole after a bad one, regardless of how difficult that hole is. I just need to learn how to avoid the big numbers and bring the focus that follows on every shot.

I have to bounce back quickly, or I would be shooting triple digits all the time! I rarely have a round without a double, and rounds without a triple (or worse) are not as rare as I would like!

The old me would let bad shots linger and completely destroy my round. I am very competitive by nature and when I did not perform to what I knew I was capable of it got the best of me not for that round but maybe the next as I really dwelled on it.

Sounds crazy, but once I had my daughters and started taking lessons I realized two things:

1. I'm not as good as I thought I was and the lessons proved that. So no need getting upset when I am not putting time in to better my game
2. My kids showed me that life is too short to worry about bad golf shots. Because when I get home they don't care what the score is & want daddy to hang with them.

Now I bounce back after a bad shot pretty well & don't let if affect the hole I am playing or the next one coming up. I haven't tracked it, but recent memory I know I've scrambled & grinded out pars or bogeys after bad shots.

Back