2014 TaylorMade Tour Preferred Wedge Preview

Wardy any more feedback on this wedge?

Took it out today in fact. Around the greens, the 50 is very solid for full shots for me. Ball gets up at a high trajectory and with a lot of spin. Not sure yet if it's the new grooves, the V2 shaft, or both. Ball is zipping back on me a good 8-10ft at times. Usually mine are a land, hop once, stop within a couple feet of their pitch mark. What is this spin nonsense?

Around the green, it's been a little tricky. The sole works well for me, as I use a lot of bounce in my pitch and chip shots. A 50, you expect to be able to play a good amount of release on pitch shots. Well, these keep taking one bounce and checking up on me. I had to start throwing them a lot closer to the hole before they landed as I left myself a good 7-8ft putts left on shots I thought for sure would release more than they did.

Overall I like them a lot. I'm just not sure what to think about this spin noise.

Spent a lot of time tonight working through all three. Focusing on a variety of shots, they performed as expected. The feel is definitely crisper then the J40s they replaced, but feel more lively and responsive. I was spinning 3/4 shots with old range balls on artificial landing areas so I am anxious to get them out on the actual course.

Just ordered a 52 off TM's website. Can't wait to get and add some of my thoughts to the thread. Will be looking forward to ordering the 56 and 60 in the ATV when it's available.

Spent a lot of time tonight working through all three. Focusing on a variety of shots, they performed as expected. The feel is definitely crisper then the J40s they replaced, but feel more lively and responsive. I was spinning 3/4 shots with old range balls on artificial landing areas so I am anxious to get them out on the actual course.

I will be intrested to see how well they spin that ball after a few rounds of wear my MacDaddy 2 have lost some of there spin in the last few months

As a lover of the RBladez and Speedblades irons (but not their wedges) and a big fan of the ATV grind on his 56 and 60 degree wedges, these seem to be the best of both worlds to me. Traditional looks, ATV grind when you need it. Can't miss combo

My 54 and 58 just came in over the past 24hrs. Since it's raining the next two days, I can't do much feedback on performance until Sunday it looks like. In the mean time, let's look at photos.

58:
Spoiler

CIMG2954-1.jpg

CIMG2955-1.jpg

CIMG2965.jpg

CIMG2964.jpg

Spoiler

CIMG2971.jpg

CIMG2974.jpg

Ooooooooh, so nice Wardy. So so nice.

Ooooooooh, so nice Wardy. So so nice.

They look so stinkin good in hand. I love looking at the little microtexture all over the face in the photo. It looks even cooler than it does in hand (and it looks very cool in hand). This wedge just looks like it wants to perform really well. I have a really good feeling it's going to too.

They were a lot of fun at Mission Inn. Thats for sure

Crazy to think it's been that long since we saw them. This feels like reuniting with an old friend. The weighting of this compared to my old racTP is strikingly similar. I know when they discussed it with us, they mentioned they took the best characteristics of that wedge, the ZTP, and the XFT and turned it into this, but man oh man.. I just grabbed my 56 to compare, and it's like its younger, more aggressive brother.

They were a lot of fun at Mission Inn. Thats for sure
First wedge shot I ever hit with those was a chip in.

#Foreshadowing
#THPMC

Quick comparison between the 58, 56 racTP, and the 54.

Spoiler

CIMG2978.jpg

CIMG2982.jpg

CIMG2983.jpg

Hit these for the first time today and I am fantastically in love. Picked a target from about 85 yards away and I was AVERAGING about 6 feet from the pin. I'm going to look into the 52* and 56* (56* with the ATV sole). I found it very interesting that they use the KBS Tour V shaft. Most wedges go for more spin and I found it really intriguing that this shaft was chosen. Felt great though.

I have been holding off on replacing my old ATV 54' & 60" wedges ( I replace these wedges yearly ) until the new Tour Preferred ATV wedges come out - seems like it has been forever! I see the standard TP wedges, but not the ATV grind. Think I saw end of this month?

Yesterday I played a 50/54/58 with these. I liked the 50 on full and partial swings. The new ATV grind is certainly improved. Tomo and I had a good conversation about that. He credits part of this new ATV design to Jason Day. There is a little more heal relief so you can open the face more, which wasn't a strong suit of the previous wedge. Hard to comment on spin because the greens yesterday were like cement.

Yesterday I played a 50/54/58 with these. I liked the 50 on full and partial swings. The new ATV grind is certainly improved. Tomo and I had a good conversation about that. He credits part of this new ATV design to Jason Day. There is a little more heal relief so you can open the face more, which wasn't a strong suit of the previous wedge. Hard to comment on spin because the greens yesterday were like cement.

Dean
Did they say when the ATV Grind will be released

Cool to see the PGA influence!

I picked up a 52 and a 56 with the atv grind. Love the wedges great feel and spin. I like having the kbs shafts to match the feel of my irons. Love these wedges.

Really curious to hear more about the new atvs on these. Ive been using the old and really not sure I like them anymore. Wonder how these will compare to the feel of the sm5s?

Really curious to hear more about the new atvs on these. Ive been using the old and really not sure I like them anymore. Wonder how these will compare to the feel of the sm5s?

I can't compare feel because I have not played the sm5. But this ATV grind is just a different setup than the older one(which I play). The back flange is not there, its easier to open up.

za6ugaqy.jpg

I had the Cleveland 588's before and these feel softer to me turf interaction is similar. Spin is great. I spun my gap wedge back 25' yesterday.

I picked up a 52 and a 56 with the atv grind. Love the wedges great feel and spin. I like having the kbs shafts to match the feel of my irons. Love these wedges.
How did you get these? They are not out yet that I am aware of...

Can you comment on if someone would consider mixing a set of wedges with the ATV and standard grind, or is it better to just stick to the ATV? Is there any disadvantages with the ATV in any situation?

How did you get these? They are not out yet that I am aware of...

I got mine out in Carlsbad earlier this week for a TM event.

Can you comment on if someone would consider mixing a set of wedges with the ATV and standard grind, or is it better to just stick to the ATV? Is there any disadvantages with the ATV in any situation?

I will be able to comment more after weds buddy. Having only 1 round in with them makes it hard to comment soundly. I know the ones I am receiving are 54 ATV and 58 std bounce.

Back