So you topped your drive. What's next?

jdb1911

Reaction score
Handicap
Okay so yesterday I was having this conversation on the course with a few guys that I didn't know. On the first hole I topped my drive and it rolled about 60 yards. On my next shot I pulled my 8i. The first hole is short about 370 so after my second shot I was still 165 out. I pulled my 6i and got on the green.

On the next tee box we were waiting so one of the guys asked me why didnt I pull out a hybrid or a longer club. I simply said that my instructor always told me to hit a club that you are most comfortable with if you find yourself in trouble or after a bad shot. His feeling was that when you take a comfortable club you will get your confidence back. They expressed that they would have taken the highest club in their bag and ripped it because you had little chance of trouble besides bunkers a few trees to the right.

What is your thought process after a topped drive?

Does it depend on the course you are playing? Does it depend on how you are playing that day? Do you do the same thing no matter the distance? Does it depend on the courses layout?

Maybe I am taking a simplistic look at it? I still got a bogey and maybe could have gotten a par if I used my 5 hybrid after the topped drive and then a pitching wedge or 9i to get it closer to the pin and 1 putted. But I was satisfied until they started questioning it.

Play your game. Hit what you're comfortable hitting. If you're satisfied, stay that way.

Maybe I am taking a simplistic look at it? I still got a bogey and maybe could have gotten a par if I used my 5 hybrid after the topped drive and then a pitching wedge or 9i to get it closer to the pin and 1 putted. But I was satisfied until they started questioning it.
You also could have sliced the 5h and wound up with a worse score.

It's a good concept, and one that perhaps I should start following. I am the type to reach for the 5W and try to rip it. Problem is, that messes up my tempo and I wind up with a second poor shot.

I think the only thing I'd be able to do is lay up with the next shot that's going to give me the best opportunity for par, I'd pretty much do what you did.

I agree with you, unless you can potentially reach the green with your 2nd shot.

Play your game. Hit what you're comfortable hitting. If you're satisfied, stay that way.

This x 1,000

I don't know much about golf, but know enough to know that there are a bunch of different ways to play the game.

Depends on the lie. I will usually play to the same number I was striving with the tee shot.

This is a good question, and I've changed my thinking over the years. I used to pull the longest club available - most often a 3-wood and give it a rip. This very often led to another topped shot, or sometimes an overly hooked shot. But in any event, a lot of time it was 2-3 bad shots in a row.

Now I'm more selective in that I do analyze how I'm playing that day and what the particular hole looks like ahead (yardage, trouble, slope, etc., and in particular what my lie is currently. I feel very confident with my six and seven irons so even when I'm hitting a comfortable shot, I can still put it out there another 155-170 yards.

On this past Sunday I had an opportunity for this shot after topping a drive. I had about 245 to the pin and pulled a 3-wood because I had a nice flat lie with the ball up, and no real trouble ahead other than the normal traps. My second shot landed about 10 yards short of the green, where I did a pitch and run to about 5 feet, and sunk the putt for a par. That felt great after what was a really awful drive.

So although I went for a 3-wood which was my old tendency, the analysis was very much different in making the choice of clubs.

Generally I will try to top every shot on that hole to work on my consistency. On the next hole though I try to put a better swing on the ball. :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would probably grab my 3 hyrid because of the confidence I have in that particular club. In the past I have been known to just hit whatever iron I felt comfortable trying.
No matter the club, I think the most important thing is just just take a nice normal swing instead of trying to make up for the poor tee shot by attempting to kill the ball. That sort of thing has gotten me in more trouble than I care to admit.

What score did those guys have at the end of the round? How was your score at the end? Sounds to me like you made the right choice for you. Play your game. The reason I ask about the scores, if you beat them or were right there with them then all is well. Or if they are playing in the high 90's or so, maybe you shouldn't be too concerned about their "advice" in the first place LOL. It's the reason I don't give my opinion about shots. If I ask a question about that it's because I'm hoping to learn something, not questioning you in what you are doing.

This season I am making a point of doing exactly what you did. In the past I would have tried to make up for the drive and the lost yards in one big stupid swing. It would have worked 1 out of 4 times. This year I have just been concentrating on banging one back down the fairway and making sure whatever my 3rd shot is, will be a comfortable and confident distance.

5i and then see what's left after that

I once saw Freddie kong top a drive, top his second shot, then jar it from 170 yards for a birdie.

Easy peasy.

3 wood off the deck, swing out of my shoes, 1 of 2 things happen: green it(or close) or top it again, move up 50 yards, hit the appropriate club, repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have learned that taking my medicine is better than betting on a hero shot. It's a matter of what gets a smile on your face. If the off chance your 3-wood gets you on the green does it, then more power to ya. Topping a drive, then hitting a 6 iron to 130 out, a 9 iron on, 2-putting and walking out with bogey does it for me. To me, that's my way of saying I had a birdie try, minus the drive. I'm enjoying improving my game even while my individual shots don't always work out.

Hybo as far as I can hit it

I agree with the comfortable club. Depending on the lie determines my comfort level-- # wood I need a decent lie and relative safe landing area. Hybrid I play about anywhere unless there is something in the flight path--it would be the longest club at 210 that I am comfortable hitting in a tough lie. However, if there is no club that I can hit the green safely with, then I am laying up to 100 out if ever possible.

It's good advise to use a club you are comfortable with. I'd also add that, based on the lie, I'm going to use the longest club I need as long as it won't put me in a worse position. If that means I'm not hitting over a 5 iron out of that lie, then that's what I'll hit. Comfort with your decision/club is key in making a good shot, no matter the lie.

I'm taking my 3 hybrid and hitting it as far down as I can.

What score did those guys have at the end of the round? How was your score at the end? Sounds to me like you made the right choice for you. Play your game. The reason I ask about the scores, if you beat them or were right there with them then all is well. Or if they are playing in the high 90's or so, maybe you shouldn't be too concerned about their "advice" in the first place LOL. It's the reason I don't give my opinion about shots. If I ask a question about that it's because I'm hoping to learn something, not questioning you in what you are doing.

Okay my score was 88. The best player of the other 3 shot somewhere in the mid 70s. He was extremely solid and had excellent ball placement. In his case he never had a topped a shot all round and was always on the green in regulation or definitely on the fringe at least.

The second guy prob shot about a 90. He could bomb the ball but any trouble and he was in trouble. His short game was very below average besides his putting. I never looked at his score card but just based on his shots his scores would be something like bogie, bogie, birdie, par, triple, triple, par, birdie, birdie, triple lol. His putter saved him throughout the round because he sank at least 5 25 footers.

The 3rd guy was solid shot about a 85. He could be a single digit handicap easily if he eliminated the 5 or 6 blow up holes. I rarely play with somebody who swings so easily and made great contact and would be on the green in reg 4-5 times in a row, then have 3 terrible holes in a row then come right back with 5 pars or better. He was the main one who said grip it and rip it.

I think the 3rd guy would be the best out of the group if he had better course management skills. I want to thank everyone for their input. Normally I don't let people get in my head during the round but I started to think hmmm. My instructor would just laugh at them and tell me they are being silly. I will stick with his advice. He got me from shooting 110 down to the upper 80/s low 90s. If I shoot 100 it's a bad day now.

I'm with Mr 441, 5i then see what's left.
Unfortunately, I've topped way too many tee shots over the years and I follow the same advice as the OP. The 2nd shot should be a club that you're comfortable with.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Depends on what kind of lie I have. I will hit the longest club that I feel I can comfortably make solid contact with. Not going to whack a 3 wood from a bad lie just to try to make up ground and likely will end up adding insult to injury.

Breakfast ball-retee-swing out of my shoes.

Or what you did.…

I would probably do something similar to what you did... If I'm 300-310 out, there's really no chance of me getting there so I'm looking to hit it about 200 yards for an easy wedge in. Bad things happen sometimes, it's all about how you rebound. Sounds like you did just fine.

Back