TaylorMade SLDR Irons Preview

Look similar to the TP CB's, which has the speedpocket through the 7i as well.

FWIW it's the same in the SpeedBlades, too.

I'm not trying to knock Taylormade or anything, but how are these any different that the current TP MC line. They look nearly identical. The only thing I can tell that might be different is the "ThruSlot." Where do these fit in their current lineup?

TP MC
SQ053_hero_wide_D4.jpg

SLDR
i-pNg4cdb-L.jpg

TP MC
SQ053_hero_wide_D.jpg

SLDR
i-MZrZzN7-L.jpg

Maybe I just need to see in hand side by side comparisons.

~Rock

Wow, color me impressed. I REALLY like these. And the price point blows the Apex out of the water if these are anywhere near as good. Definitely need to hit ASAP.

My guess is that they would fall between the Speedblades and the CBs, but those pictures dont suggest that.

They look more like the MC's to me than the CB's. If they're as long as the speedblade, oh my..

I really like the look, and I guess the tech will be felt out with the performance, but it sounds like a solid offering.

Those look like a iron I would love, but have difficulty playing.

More of a "players" iron, thinner profile (which I love) less offset.

But not something I'd have the skill to hit Haha.

Sure are pretty though.

~Don't practice til you get it right, Practice til you can't get it wrong~

I agree about the thinner profile. It's probably more iron than I can handle, but I am definitely going to give them a look.

Is this going to be a inside anouncement or are they going to be outside and showing some pro's hitting these guys??
Images certainly look like a thinner iron. Things are going to get kicked off here real soon.

Can't wAit to here some of your feedback Dean.

NOo seeing much of a variation in looks from the TP line, but if they are longer like the Speedblades that could certainly be intriguing.

I wonder how close these are to the new Adams XTD with the c-taper 90 KBS shaft. "SLDR irons are available in 8-piece sets (4-AW being the most popular) in a choice of KBS’s new Tour C-Taper 90 steel shaft"

Rock I agree. They look like carbon copies of the MCs. Color me confused on this release

Rock I agree. They look like carbon copies of the MCs. Color me confused on this release
My impression is they are bridging the gap between the MC's and S/Blades.

Through slot tech for S/Blades distance + smaller profile and extra dampening for enhanced MC-like feel.

I like this one and look forward to learning more. My initial impression is thumbs up to TM.

Last edited:
sounds like my new 4 and maybe 5 iron

My impression is they are bridging the gap between the MC's and S/Blades.

Through slot tech for S/Blades distance + smaller profile and extra dampening for enhanced MC-like feel.

I like this one and look forward to learning more but my initial impression is thumbs up to TM.

I guess I don't see it as a gap that needs bridged. They have the tp set that goes from muscle to cavity back then they have an sgi iron that promotes distance. If this combines the two then why not release this instead of or use this tech in the speed blades?

I guess I don't see it as a gap that needs bridged. They have the tp set that goes from muscle to cavity back then they have an sgi iron that promotes distance. If this combines the two then why not release this instead of or use this tech in the speed blades?

Yeah I am confused as well to where this is supposed to fit in the lineup.

Yea, don't get me wrong. I'm going to try these irons out, just like I tried out the SpeedBlades, TP MC (current gen), Rocketbladez, RocketBladez TP, TP MC (old gen), and R9 TP irons. I've been shoping new irons for like, 5 years, and each year, I swing some clubs, and I think to myself "yea, they're nice, but they're not giving me anymore than my current irons." I look at these irons, and I say "wow, maybe the offset is just noticeably different, but how are these ANY different than the TP MC irons?"

My next lesson is early June, so I know I'll give these a try as long as I'm out at the range. But I fear that I'll come away thinking they are the exact same as the current TP MC line that I just spent some time hitting.

~Rock

Distance irons are fun, but people complain they come with a bulky look. A players iron is pretty, but they don't always go as far as other irons. Design an iron that marry the two and then you have a single iron that appeals to both sides of the spectrum.

Perhaps that's what they've done here

Distance irons are fun, but people complain they come with a bulky look. A players iron is pretty, but they don't always go as far as other irons. Design an iron that marry the two and then you have a single iron that appeals to both sides of the spectrum.

Nailed it.

The CB's are shorter, they just are, they look better but lack the power of the SpeedBlades, if this merges the two in some way, then why not?

But why not do that with the MC? It looks the exact same in those pictures I guess I will have to look and see if they are any different in person. Honestly I don't care about releasing too many clubs or product cycles or any of that.. Just if you are going to release something make it noticeably different

But why not do that with the MC? It looks the exact same in those pictures I guess I will have to look and see if they are any different in person. Honestly I don't care about releasing too many clubs or product cycles or any of that.. Just if you are going to release something make it noticeably different

If the distance is closer to the SpeedBlades, it will be noticeably different.

I understand that they have engineers and a robot machine. That robot machine will swing the new club, and it will be different than their current TP lineup. But I'm not a machine, my swing is not perfect. And I will just reiterate my fear that these will perform for me exactly the same as the TP MC. Fears aside, I'll try them, and I'll have an open mind when I do, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe if they were closing out the TP CB and MC lines, I would understand this better.

~Rock

There still are some that don't care for a distance iron.

Major skim, but I'm assuming these are not forged?

Well said. We've seen some feedback in the TP threads that the irons are nice but they aren't as long as other comparable options. I haven't followed the SpeedBade thread as closely but I know my own reaction with the 6i was in the domain of feel. Callaway has gotten a lot of love with an offering that bridges that gap. Maybe this is TM's answer.

Back