TaylorMade SLDR S Metalwoods Preview

Having hit the 14* and expecting to get it up in the air, I was honestly shocked at the launch I got out of it. However, I am not one who typically hits what people would call a "high ball."

Everyone I play with at one point talks about how high my drives go. With the lower launch, part of my wants to hit these just to compare height. The other half to see how much better it will be than a nearly 7 yr old driver

Everyone I play with at one point talks about how high my drives go. With the lower launch, part of my wants to hit these just to compare height. The other half to see how much better it will be than a nearly 7 yr old driver

The Burner is a higher spin driver. The SLDR is about a 180* opposite of that.

The Burner is a higher spin driver. The SLDR is about a 180* opposite of that.

Well then time to find out where I can hit this locally!

I have got to go and find one of those 16°, should be interesting to say the least.

I have got to go and find one of those 16°, should be interesting to say the least.

The 14* SLDR was fun to hit, still unforgiving as a mother though.

Many many thoughts. But I really enjoyed the FW in this line.

I imagine it wont be as high of a flight as I think. If it's possible to get it up there, I'll see it.

These look and sound great! Not sure I could go 16* on a driver but otherwise I like everything I see and read about these. Very envious of the MC Taylor Made staffers!

The staffers will have a treat for them waiting. 16* driver is quite interesting, waiting to hear views on these options.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

The staffers will have a treat for them waiting. 16* driver is quite interesting, waiting to hear views on these options.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

You know when I hit the 16* the name War Eagle came to mind. Launched no good for me. On flightscope we kept going between the 10 and 12. The 12 helped me turn it over more, however when my swing flaw miss would come in to the play the results were bad. High ball with way way way too much spin and off to the right.

You know when I hit the 16* the name War Eagle came to mind. Launched no good for me. On flightscope we kept going between the 10 and 12. The 12 helped me turn it over more, however when my swing flaw miss would come in to the play the results were bad. High ball with way way way too much spin and off to the right.

Thanks for the insight. I usally hit the ball very very high, get no more then 5 yards or roll with my driver. For myself a 13* would be the highest I would go for this product. SLDR driver worked well for me, little lower and lower spin then my driver, consistancy was not there. Partly because of my swing at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I need to hit this driver soon

I wouldn't be too proud to game a 16* driver.

Such a cool image!
tm_sldrs_03.jpg

tm_sldrs_04.jpg

When I hit the regular SLDR in 14* it was high high high hook machine. I had much better luck with the 10.5 except it was one of the least forgiving drivers I've ever hit. 4 out of 10 hits were nice launchers down the middle the remaining 6 would be knuckle balls that went straight but nowhere in terms of distance.

I'm really at a loss as to what the SLDR S is supposed to accomplish. If it's basically the same driver but bonded then you can pay $70 less for the same driver that lacks forgiveness. I just don't get it, what is the value proposition behind this driver?

I wouldn't either. If the numbers say I should be hitting 16° then that's what I'll go with.

I wouldn't either. If the numbers say I should be hitting 16° then that's what I'll go with.

I saw a lot of guys hitting the 16 with good success yesterday. Fun to hit and you see a ton of face. Numbers wise just not the best fit for me.

Dean, did you like these from a wood and hybrid aspect much better than the original SLDR?

I saw a lot of guys hitting the 16 with good success yesterday. Fun to hit and you see a ton of face. Numbers wise just not the best fit for me.

This is something that always intrigues me. The golfers that talk about strugging with a driver where too much face is visible. How do they hit a fairway wood?

When I hit the regular SLDR in 14* it was high high high hook machine. I had much better luck with the 10.5 except it was one of the least forgiving drivers I've ever hit. 4 out of 10 hits were nice launchers down the middle the remaining 6 would be knuckle balls that went straight but nowhere in terms of distance.

I'm really at a loss as to what the SLDR S is supposed to accomplish. If it's basically the same driver but bonded then you can pay $70 less for the same driver that lacks forgiveness. I just don't get it, what is the value proposition behind this driver?

I agree and the slides/explanations I saw did nothing to convince me otherwise. At this point they have to be all-in though. You don't make a giant marketing campaign like that tying in the biggest retailer, and then say "but, we do have a normal driver too".

The whole thing is interesting to me. The timing of the release, the club itself not offering any new innovation, the disappearance of JetSpeed (and it's poor sales), the price, and basically everything about it scream price point driver to me.

I agree and the slides/explanations I saw did nothing to convince me otherwise. At this point they have to be all-in though. You don't make a giant marketing campaign like that tying in the biggest retailer, and then say "but, we do have a normal driver too".

The whole thing is interesting to me. The timing of the release, the club itself not offering any new innovation, the disappearance of JetSpeed (and it's poor sales), the price, and basically everything about it scream price point driver to me.

We are in complete agreement, just freaking weird all around.

From the pictures the black seemed to help hide the face a bit but i guess 16* is a lot to hide

Back