TaylorMade SLDR Irons Preview

Thanks for the awesome coverage ddec and GG, so awesome to get a look behind the scenes and get immediate feedback. June 6th is a good day, Happy Birthday to me??

First, thanks for the awesome coverage of this event. It was nothing less than spectacular. Second, i thought I was done club pondering for awhile but these irons have me doing it again.

Yes. Very much so. Mine had tour 90 shafts in them, as I thought that would lend to a good SLDR CB comparison for me down the road. I did hit some with the stock shaft and honestly I couldn't tell much difference in ball flight. When my set makes it back to NY I will get some side by side pics for all.

As for performance I thought these were flat out better than the TP CB. Slightly bigger so more forgiving, longer distance, and the sound was really good.

This is what I really wanted to hear. I can't wait to hit these.

I have to say I haven't been a fan of the last few irons released by TM but these are beautiful! Simple and sleek, love it

Finally caught up with all the details. Thank you Morgan & Dean for giving us the insight to this amazing event & product release.

Love that the shaft options are solid and seeing the MCI's as a possibility.

Having played with the TM spied blade 6i for a while the forgiveness & distance is there. I did not like the sound it made on strikes & it was hard to tell if the shot was struck well or not.

Dean with your time with these so far how is the sound & feedback on mishits?

Who doesn't need more forgiveness? By your post, it seems you will never need another set of irons!
I don't need more forgiveness. To me, more forgiveness = less feel. That's why I don't play huge, chunky, game improvement, cavity back irons. I buy new irons when I wear my current set out. Usually takes 3-4 seasons. I don't buy a set just to have the latest set.

Give me more forgiveness and give me more distance. I've got no issues embracing that, its all about making the game easier and more enjoyable. These irons are firmly on my must hit list.

More distance and forgiveness doesn't mean distance control, workability and accuracy. I'll take forgiveness in a 3 iron. Craving more distance in an iron when having 4-LW that will cover all distances doesn't make sense to me. I want more distance in my woods. Hitting a new 7 iron 10 yards farther than your old 7 iron won't lower your score. I love beating guys with new irons that they claim give them more distance, especially when I'm putting for birdie and they're chipping for bogey. Now THAT is enjoyable!

Last edited:
It also doesn't mean less distance control and accuracy. One can, in fact, have both. I've never understood the one or the other mentality.

I can't stop looking at these irons. I LOVE the SpeedBlades, but hitting ddec's TP CBs, I thought they set up better to the ball and felt better to me. And these appear to be a combination of both of those sets? DROOL.

Wait for the TP version...:banghead:

Wait for the TP version...:banghead:

I don't understand the head banging. Does that mean you're excited for it to come out, or you have an issue with the releasing them?

I'll say it every day. Companies can release absolutely as many sets as you want. I love options.

Not only that but I love cheap 1 year old tech.

~Don't practice til you get it right, Practice til you can't get it wrong~

I don't understand the head banging. Does that mean you're excited for it to come out, or you have an issue with the releasing them?

I'll say it every day. Companies can release absolutely as many sets as you want. I love options.

No ill-will intended with the head banging smiley, but I have a feeling those who recently bought TM SpeedBlade irons may be wishing they had waited for these...then again, there is ALWAYS a new TM iron isn't there???

Already have that line.
Did the R11 irons offer a TP line?
SpeedBlade?

In a way the SLDR irons are the speedblades TP

No ill-will intended with the head banging smiley, but I have a feeling those who recently bought TM Jet Speed irons may be wishing they had waited for these...then again, there is ALWAYS a new TM iron isn't there???

Based on what we saw yesterday, the two definitely don't overlap IMO. The SpeedBlades continue to be the GI offering with more offset and a little bigger profile and these fit in between them and the CB's. Makes for a pretty complete line.

No ill-will intended with the head banging smiley, but I have a feeling those who recently bought TM Jet Speed irons may be wishing they had waited for these...then again, there is ALWAYS a new TM iron isn't there???

1 - There is a jetspeed iron?
2 - How is this any different from any other popular clubmaking company?
3 - If people bought irons recently, I would hope they did so after extensive fitting and research to get the best iron for their game. That companies continue and will continue to release new irons shouldn't impact their satisfaction with their recently purchased irons.

How do they compare to the Speedblades?

In a way the SLDR irons are the speedblades TP

Right on Point! Under the old TM naming scheme these might well have been called the SpeedBlade TP Irons. The Tour Preferred line of irons put a damper on that however...

Last edited:
No ill-will intended with the head banging smiley, but I have a feeling those who recently bought TM SpeedBlade irons may be wishing they had waited for these...then again, there is ALWAYS a new TM iron isn't there???

They are still 6 short of Mizuno in total iron offerings

They are still 6 short of Mizuno in total iron offerings

With 5 irons currently in line, they are really not that different from the majority of the companies.
Titleist I believe has 4
Ping has 4-5
Callaway has around the same.
Mizuno has more.
For some reason they always get hammered for doing the same thing many others do, strictly based on their timing.

I wouldn't, but that's just me. These look shorter and smaller. Probably less forgiving too. I liked the SpeedBlades.

A TP Speedblade, nice. Are they as long as the Speedies.

Back