Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedges Review - Forum Testing

I really want to try the MB version, not quite in love with the CB yet

What don't you love about it? I can say that it took some time with mine but has turned into one of the most reliable clubs in my bag. i wasn't a fan right off but has grown on me over the past year.

What don't you love about it? I can say that it took some time with mine but has turned into one of the most reliable clubs in my bag. i wasn't a fan right off but has grown on me over the past year.

After dialing in the MD2's, Ive seen regression with these both on my expectations greenside and on 3/4 swings, just hasnt quite jived yet.

After dialing in the MD2's, Ive seen regression with these both on my expectations greenside and on 3/4 swings, just hasnt quite jived yet.

Distance issues Mike? I found with the CB I had to be super focused on solid acceleration through the ball on greenside shots. Otherwise I got more dirt than ball. Not a bad thing though as I think it actually helped me with those shots overall where it's easy to decel.

I think it's in your head 441.

Distance issues Mike? I found with the CB I had to be super focused on solid acceleration through the ball on greenside shots. Otherwise I got more dirt than ball. Not a bad thing though as I think it actually helped me with those shots overall where it's easy to decel.

Havent hit a ton of 3/4 shots just a few on the course not sure if they are any shorter quite yet.

I think it's in your head 441.

Usually Id say yes, but Im practicing as much with these as I did with the MD2 so far this year and saw better results with those. Perhaps the swing is changing for the worse somehow.

Maybe a 3-dot is the answer for you. Adding loft to that 52 (54) MD2 added a little bounce. That can add a little element of forgiveness.

Maybe a 3-dot is the answer for you. Adding loft to that 52 (54) MD2 added a little bounce. That can add a little element of forgiveness.

I'll have to look at what the RTX's are but I swear they are all 3 dot right now, but dont quote me on that yet

I've been daydreaming about that damn 3 dot lately for a lot of reasons.

Well hell. I don't know then lol.

I'm not really a big bouncy guy. I thought I would be in the bunker, but something lower actually helps me get into the sand.

Stick with it Mike. I felt like these wedges were noticeably more head heavy than the J40s and that messed with me a bit in the beginning. You'll get it dialed in. The bonus with these is that they're awesome out of the sand.

I'm not really a big bouncy guy. I thought I would be in the bunker, but something lower actually helps me get into the sand.

I'm just a steeper swinger and am finally figuring out how to let the bounce work FOR me. Makes me want to try more and less to see what is what.

These appear to be in the sweet spot for me bounce wise. I have 54 and 58 degree RTX CBs (thanks Jman!) both 2 dot. I seem to hit them more cleanly than I do with my low bounce Hopkins and high bounce SmartSole wedges. More time is needed will all, but that's what I've seen so far.

I'm just a steeper swinger and am finally figuring out how to let the bounce work FOR me. Makes me want to try more and less to see what is what.

Yea, we're sort of teh opposite there.

That Andrew Rice video I featured had some good thoughts on bounce. Basically, it becomes less important with shallower swing if I recall.

Yea, we're sort of teh opposite there.

That Andrew Rice video I featured had some good thoughts on bounce. Basically, it becomes less important with shallower swing if I recall.

Yep, thats what I'm finally getting through my head. But I also know I need​ to get more shallow with my LW anyways for spin purposes. Ugh. So much thinking.

Wedge testing was fun. I hit a bunch of shots with some different configurations and came away with a pretty good idea of what I'll end up doing.

I hadn't ever swung the CB before today believe it or not. Pretty nice club. I hit the 50° with a couple different shafts - DG, KBS Hi Rev, and a Miyazaki 95. It's noticeably larger than the MB. I sort of already knew that, but holding them side-by-side it was quite apparent. Not a complaint, but rather an observation. Trajectory control was easy enough. Man, that Miyazaki shaft felt really good in there. Doubt I'd go that route without a lot more testing, but it was fun. This is an interesting wedge. I'd have no problem playing it as a GW, but then again I like set GW's too. Tough call to make. After today I'm leaning more towards the CB in that slot than I expected to though.

The MB is a great little wedge. I was able to use a 58° quite a bit down in FL, but today was able to test some different lofts, bounces and shafts. KBS Hi Rev felt really nice in there, though I've never been wowed by that shaft. Not to say I've disliked it. It's a shaft. I still would probably lean towards the Tour Concept shaft based on past experience/comfort.

The MB has everything I want in the 53/57/61 range. Shape, feel, versatility. 2 Dot will be the choice there. I tried the low bounce 60, but it was weaker from the sand for me. The 2 Dot 60 was exceptionally good for me from the sand.

The guy worked with me on some shots and gave me some pointers on hitting a mid launching shot that had a lot of spin. Not the little 50 yard pitch, but rather a 1/2 to 3/4 swing that flighted just a little lower. Trajectory was very easy to control and he had me hitting low, mid, and high shots by the time we were done. Fun stuff.

Bottom line is I could put the MB's in play tomorrow comfortably as a replacement for my current wedges. The CB may make an appearance as a GW, but that depends on what's available to us and maybe a little more demo time.

Wedge testing was fun. I hit a bunch of shots with some different configurations and came away with a pretty good idea of what I'll end up doing.

I hadn't ever swung the CB before today believe it or not. Pretty nice club. I hit the 50° with a couple different shafts - DG, KBS Hi Rev, and a Miyazaki 95. It's noticeably larger than the MB. I sort of already knew that, but holding them side-by-side it was quite apparent. Not a complaint, but rather an observation. Trajectory control was easy enough. Man, that Miyazaki shaft felt really good in there. Doubt I'd go that route without a lot more testing, but it was fun. This is an interesting wedge. I'd have no problem playing it as a GW, but then again I like set GW's too. Tough call to make. After today I'm leaning more towards the CB in that slot than I expected to though.

The MB is a great little wedge. I was able to use a 58° quite a bit down in FL, but today was able to test some different lofts, bounces and shafts. KBS Hi Rev felt really nice in there, though I've never been wowed by that shaft. Not to say I've disliked it. It's a shaft. I still would probably lean towards the Tour Concept shaft based on past experience/comfort.

The MB has everything I want in the 53/57/61 range. Shape, feel, versatility. 2 Dot will be the choice there. I tried the low bounce 60, but it was weaker from the sand for me. The 2 Dot 60 was exceptionally good for me from the sand.

The guy worked with me on some shots and gave me some pointers on hitting a mid launching shot that had a lot of spin. Not the little 50 yard pitch, but rather a 1/2 to 3/4 swing that flighted just a little lower. Trajectory was very easy to control and he had me hitting low, mid, and high shots by the time we were done. Fun stuff.

Bottom line is I could put the MB's in play tomorrow comfortably as a replacement for my current wedges. The CB may make an appearance as a GW, but that depends on what's available to us and maybe a little more demo time.

I definitely wanna try either or both wedges in the hi rev, have seen Too many people love them for me to ignore.

I definitely wanna try the mb out to see if I like them more than cb.

And I'd love to hear what you were doing special for these short shots...practice thread?

I definitely wanna try either or both wedges in the hi rev, have seen Too many people love them for me to ignore.

And I'd love to hear what you were doing special for these short shots...practice thread?

I bet you and the CB w/ hi-rev in them would be incredible. Think Jaws, but better.

To me, the CB and MB are quite different dude. I'd definitely try to get your hands on them to try out.

Really, he just had me try to hold my angle a little longer on the downswing to really get my hands ahead of the ball. Then take my normal follow through. If I really wanted to lower the ball I just played it back and cut off my finish.

To me, the CB and MB are quite different dude. I'd definitely try to get your hands on them to try out.

Really, he just had me try to hold my angle a little longer on the downswing to really get my hands ahead of the ball. Then take my normal follow through. If I really wanted to lower the ball I just played it back and cut off my finish.

So more of a pause before the acceleration through?

I was thinking 588 RTX with 58/54 Not sure if I want to have one of them 1 dot and the other a 2 dot for lie condition changes, Maybe 58.8 and 54.12? For Gap I am thinking the RTX CB 50 or the set AW depending on which set is offered.

I play that setup Ward. However I do so with 2 dot across the board. I like the CB in the 50.

It'll depend on preference I suppose, but I don't think either course will require anything really low bounce.

It'll depend on preference I suppose, but I don't think either course will require anything really low bounce.

True its no Texas where some sand is just scattered dirt over rock. May just 2 dot all of it.

Back