Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

The ball seems to bend a little more with the Pros for me, but I can definitely work the Apex. I've hit some pretty hard hooks with them (on purpose) and pulled the shot off beautifully.

I know lots of people use the Pros, but I really think the Apex are the perfect fit for me.

Its funny as I go back a year or so ago. People discussing going with X-Forged vs the XHP. For this very reason. Apex to me, reminds me of X-Forged in their ability to shape the ball. No issues at all.

You get what you want and your fitting next week will open your eyes. But my feeling is working the ball would be easier and is with the apex. You can manipulate the club for various shots and get the forgiveness the club provides. But like I said, Anika Academy will dial you up.

That's what I am excited to see.

Ya I'm coming from XHP and I feel these are more workable. I can fade and draw the ball on command with these things. I don't think you could really ask for more workability with the amount of forgiveness these provide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have finally figured out the irons! I've been struggling recently with them and a few range sessions really showed their benefit today. After browsing a thread about not swinging 100% but getting the same results, I found it worked with these irons. Maybe taking a 1/2 club more and getting consistent results for ball striking and shot results. Never have I hit a 4 iron so flush as I did today on more than 1 occasion and every club on down to the AW is workable and awesome. Love having breakthroughs like this.

My iron striking continues to be excellent with these. Best irons I've ever played, and it's not close. If I'm nit picking I'm getting a bit too much spin, my shots are getting ate up into the wind, but they are forgiving, accurate, have great turf interaction, and feel great, you can't beat it.

ok...these irons have completely messed me up (though I'm smiling about it). I need to check my old irons and make sure it's not just some tweeks i made on my shoulder turn, but the yardage I'm seeing is ridiculous (and I thought it was ridiculous with the speedblades). My normal 7i, for example, was about a 165 club. If I really got a hold of it, maybe 170. This weekend, on multiple occasions, with zero wind, I hit it 190+. On a par 3, 202, I decided to wise up and pull out my 6i instead of what would normally be a 5 or maybe even a 4...and I hit it to the back of the green. Thankfully I just bought a VoiceCaddie, and I'm going to have to do some work over the next couple weeks really getting my yardages down.

Anyone gaming the SW? I was thinking today that I take primarily full swings with my 54* wedge and it would make sense to game the apex AW and SW vs AW and 54 MD2. Also, if anyone could snap of pic of the SW compared to another wedge that would be great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Anyone gaming the SW? I was thinking today that I take primarily full swings with my 54* wedge and it would make sense to game the apex AW and SW vs AW and 54 MD2. Also, if anyone could snap of pic of the SW compared to another wedge that would be great!

I like that thought Andy and I am thinking exactly the same thing. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

As an owner of the Apex now I am for sure going to game a AW at the MC. If they have a SW I will snap a pic at my fitting on Friday vs my MD2...54*

Ordered Apex with KBS V Shafts last Sunday. Currently foaming at the mouth reading the history of this thread. So excited to get my set in...

Ordered Apex with KBS V Shafts last Sunday. Currently foaming at the mouth reading the history of this thread. So excited to get my set in...

It's a great pairing with the Apex head. Hope you enjoy your irons and keep updated on how they work for you.

I am a fan of you doing this Andy!! You're not getting all that creative with your wedges (expect maybe the 58*) so tying in the set wedges could be a nice added boost of forgiveness!!

Love these irons. I really want to hit them more.

I am a fan of you doing this Andy!! You're not getting all that creative with your wedges (expect maybe the 58*) so tying in the set wedges could be a nice added boost of forgiveness!!

Love these irons. I really want to hit them more.

As an owner of the Apex now I am for sure going to game a AW at the MC. If they have a SW I will snap a pic at my fitting on Friday vs my MD2...54*

I like that thought Andy and I am thinking exactly the same thing. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

I can't remember the last time I used my 54* around the green. However it's my 100 yard club right now so it makes sense to keep it consistent.

So, these arrived today...
5ehu4ana.jpg

Mine arrived yesterday as well. I needed to pick up my bag from my club first, so I didn't end up going back to hit any balls. However, I immediately regripped them with Pure Pros with my preferential number of wraps. They look great in the bag, but results will speak louder.

I currently have a set of CB3s that the Apexes will be replacing. Comparing the looks and topline, they look quite similar with exception of the higher lofted clubs. Especially the PW and AW, they look to have more offset in the Apex, but it might be just be how it is blended into the hosel. This also might be due to what I would call "softer" lines in the design of the Apex irons. The satin finish also makes the clubs look a hair bigger than the black finish on the CB3s. Although physically, I believe the dimensions through both sets to be fairly similar. The sole on the Apex set looks a lot more dynamic than the CB3s, so I'm very interested to see what the turf interaction is like (only hit on outdoor mats during fitting). Unfortunately, I won't be able to hit these until Thursday after work. :-(

I've been having the same thought as you guys. I'm not great with blade-like wedges and full shots, so I went matching AW several sets ago, but replacing the 54 with the matching SW really could work out well if it gives me another club I feel comfortable swinging fully.

So I think I fell in love with my apex 4 iron tonight. I could not hit a single solid drive today off the tee so I said screw it and hit 4 iron the rest of the way. Smooth swing produces amazing results. Teeing it up a tad high and putting it where I want it. Nice high flight about 210-220. I could not miss with this thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMart demoing apex thus evening. . Working on building that Morgan cup bag.

judyhe4u.jpg

Those are some white legs! Haha

*2 upright standard length 6-SW...that's a fact. Only decision left is KBS tour 90 or Project X 95 5.0. I really like the flight I saw out of the 5.5 tonight. I think 5.0 could be the ticket. The tour 90s are a great shaft as well. Unfortunately I can only demo them in the mizuno cart.

I also went 2* upright on my set. Never would have imagined!

Did you demo any of the graphite options? I tried out a few of the steel shafts but couldn't find anything that could top the Recoil graphite shafts. Light yet sturdy and they generated a really nice ball flight with the Apex head.

I was hitting the PX higher than the recoil 660 F3. I like the lightweight recoil a lot but the carry numbers where the same with a slightly higher ball flight. I'm gonna spend a little more time on the range before a decision is made though.

Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Loading the new sticks into the car for their first day out. Won't get to hit them until after work but I'm so giddy. Bag is a bit overstuffed at the moment...

e8ymemu3.jpg

Edit: yikes that is an awful grainy photo I took.

How are these holding up. I have heard that the finish comes off really easily after 10-20 rounds.

I am a solid 60 rounds into mine and that has not been the case.

How are these holding up. I have heard that the finish comes off really easily after 10-20 rounds.
I've been gaming mine for about 6 months or so, have yet to notice any wear on the finish.

I've been gaming mine for about 6 months or so, have yet to notice any wear on the finish.

And MAAAAAAAAn that finish is one is the best looking out there.

And MAAAAAAAAn that finish is one is the best looking out there.

Agreed. The entire set makeup is built sooooooo nicely. packed with forgiveness and accuracy in an unexplainably reasonable package.

Back