Bobby Jones Black By Jesse Ortiz FW Wood Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Very well written Ryan it seems to have the perfect blend on looks, performance, and functionality. I also love the fact that you can adjust the face angle on this.

Nice writeup Hawk! Sounds like the type of club that would be up my alley, as a high handicapper. I'd gladly sacrifice distance to keep the ball in play, and in a good position.

• Admin
I will have this fairway wood in my bag at some point this year.

Love the color scheme on those. Sadly, no lefty love. We are a small percentage of the market so I can't blame them for not making left handed clubs.

So lets see.

1. Looks teed up at address
2. easy to launch
3. Super forgiving
and a cool headcover....consider me sold!

I want this and the hybo in a bad way

Nice write-up. I love the matte on the crown and the simple alignment aid. For those who struggle with hitting their FW from the deck, this is a great option.

Great write-up Hawk! Definitely interested in the bobby jones line. Just need to get a chance to demo it against some of the other 2014 lines.

Using Tapatalk

Very interesting writeup. I have a gap from 175-205 that needs and one of these could fit part of the bill. I can go look but I thought I would ask here. Does the Bobby Jones website have a list of vendors? I would defintely want to try before I buy.

Excellent write up, Ryan. This club looks absolutely stunning (headcover included), and its low profile would definitely help golfers like me who are a bit inconsistent with launching a fairway wood from the deck. Don't think this one is available in LH though....:crying:

I'm assuming that adjusting the face angle would also change the relative loft of the club?

Stellar review Hawk. Trying to make the game easier with a club, very cool. I think this club will benefit many players and I know it catches my eye. The matte crown also catches my eye, would be really easy to look at.

Very interesting writeup. I have a gap from 175-205 that needs and one of these could fit part of the bill. I can go look but I thought I would ask here. Does the Bobby Jones website have a list of vendors? I would defintely want to try before I buy.

Im not sure they do. However they do offer a money back guarantee so that if you buy one and dont like it, no questions asked refund.

Call me intrigued. Been hitting my irons so much better so thinking of dropping a hybo and putting a 5w in.

Excellent write up Ryan! To often people get caught up in how far will I hit a certain club. And many time we sacrifice versatility and functionality by doing so. Which is possibly ok if were 14 for 14 on fairways hit. Being able to pull a club that can handle less than perfect lie conditions is a great benefit. The look of this club is a huge selling point also, keeping with the entire line from Bobby Jones by way of Jesse Ortiz creative eye.

Love love loved this review. Let me list the reasons:

1) FW designed for consistency and ease of use - not distance designed
2) standard length at 42.5" which is an inch shorter that many other offerings
3) exceptional forgiveness on off center hits
4) gorgeous headcover....just gorgeous and high quality
5) given up on fairways? Yep, that's me.....and I want to reconsider that with this offering

I'm excited to try this even if that means having to buy one for a test run. Fantastic review Hawk!

This looks lovely! It would appear that my Mastercard just isn't going to get a break this year....

Im not sure they do.However they do offer a money back guarantee so that if you buy one and dont like it, no questions asked refund.

Yep, what JB said.

Excellent write up, Ryan. This club looks absolutely stunning (headcover included), and its low profile would definitely help golfers like me who are a bit inconsistent with launching a fairway wood from the deck. Don't think this one is available in LH though....

I'm assuming that adjusting the face angle would also change the relative loft of the club?

Yep, it should raise loft.

5) given up on fairways? Yep, that's me.....and I want to reconsider that with this offering

I'm excited to try this even if that means having to buy one for a test run. Fantastic review Hawk!

I'm telling you 100% - this is a club for a guy like you (and me). I spent the last two rounds with different fairway woods in the bag just to see for myself (both 17°) and it's not even close in terms of ease of use and consistency.

Yep, what JB said.

Yep, it should raise loft.

I'm telling you 100% - this is a club for a guy like you (and me). I spent the last two rounds with different fairway woods in the bag just to see for myself (both 17°) and it's not even close in terms of ease of use and consistency.

Love it. You think the 17* is just a bit more versatile than the 15*? Curious what the distance gap would be between the 2...10 yards? But perhaps more consistency with the 17?

Love it. You think the 17* is just a bit more versatile than the 15*? Curious what the distance gap would be between the 2...10 yards? But perhaps more consistency with the 17?

I think that would be more a fitting thing that a tool to increase distance for most people. For me, it would probably reduce carry. Same head from what I see though, so the benefits in playability should remain.

Here are a couple quotes from Ortiz:

Is the 15 degree a 3-wood or is the 17 degree a 3-wood? A- They are both 3-woods. The 15 degree is considered a true 3-wood in today’s world; however, that loft is too strong for most recreational players to effectively hit off the deck. Unless you catch the ball perfectly, you’re going to get a disappointing shot. Thin shots will get you line drives that stop well short of the intended distance you required. For that reason, most of us are much better off using a 17 degree fairway wood which is like a 4-wood but comes with a 3-wood length shaft. This is how you get 3-wood distance but with 4 wood playability and forgiveness. Remember, your 3- wood is the most important club in your bag.

Why don’t you make a 5-wood?A- I feel that the 17 degree wood is a magical club. Grip it at the end for 3-wood distance and you can choke up an inch or two, take the same swing and you have 5-wood distance. It’s really two clubs in one, and that allows you to add another hybrid or wedge in the bag to really lower your scores.

Great review Ryan. I went and look at their site... Am I right that they don't make any left handed clubs?

Getting the ball up quickly is huge for me. I love the color, too.

Im right there with you on #5 too

I want one.

Well done Ryan!

There seems like such an attention to detail with this club from the small details on the club, the color scheme and even the quality of the headcover. I love seeing Jesse back in the club making game.

Back