17th at the Players

ns1189

Reaction score
Handicap
19.2 GHIN
So I'm sitting here watching the coverage of the 17th hole at the Players and it got me thinking. How many times teeing of would it take you to hit the green. I could probably hit it in my first or second shot, but that hole looks very intimidating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I am not sure but there is a course nearby that has a replica hole, It is on my must play list this year.

I've played 4 par 3 holes with island greens this year ranging from 201-134 yards and hit 3 of 4 greens amazingly...

I think I could hit it in 3 tries...

with no wind, max 3 shots. With wind definitely more.

Hopefully the first if nerves don't get the best of me.....

Its a different animal entirely. The shot itself is not that bad, what it does to you mentally is where this hole makes it's money. Some of the Pros were talking earlier in the week and some said they start thinking about the 17th much earlier in the round, if not during practice rounds for the week. Having said that, I would probably splash at least one.

my home course has a similar hole but nit as much water to the right i generally hit the green but the 17th is a bit more intimidating so i am sure i would dunk at least one

That hole, in that setting, who knows.

On any given day, I would probably put 3 or 4 in to the drink before hitting the right one on to the green.

Phil said his success increased drastically when he started aiming for the middle of he green instead of for the pin. He was speaking in regards to his birdie percentage, but I would imagine the same goes for hitting the darn green.

Played a replica hole a few years ago and I put 5 in the drink before getting on.

If I played right now probably 3 or 4.

On any given day, I would probably put 3 or 4 in to the drink before hitting the right one on to the green.

What about on Sunday tied for the lead???

I think I'd be pretty bummed if I hit it on the first shot. I might actually just tee up another and dunk one so that I could say that it happened.

I would like to think that I could get the first on. Its only 120-145...so we are only talking a Gap wedge to 9iron depending on the wind to the center of the green. I'm pretty confident that I could get the first one on.

Give me 4 shots and guarantee I can get at least 1 on the dance floor. Whether it's the 1st or 4th shot I won't know, but I think I could make it happen.

In that setting maybe. Outside of that setting it's not that different from half the par 3s we play. Played it 3 times and each time hit the green in a safe place. You would too.

I played a replica of this hole years ago, hit the green first try. A course I play has an island green that is a shorter hole, but also a smaller green. I am 6/6 in getting it on. I aim for the middle of the green, that's all.

Island greens don't worry me. It would be trying it in front of a packed house that would get to me. In that case, I give myself no more than 3 to get it on, but my expectation is to get it on the first try. You gotta believe you can do it.

I played a replica of it down in Texas a number of years ago and hit it on the first try, although I spun it back off the front. My second try made it, but left me a long putt.

I'm 2/2 lifetime. 3/4 9i to the center and go from there. With a ton of people watching and the wind, it's probably a little nerve wracking though. In the middle of August, that green's a piece of cake. It's not exactly a teeny green.

I can't hit the green of a par 3 with no water, so a dozen shots.

~Don't practice til you get it right, Practice til you can't get it wrong~

In a normal round with friends, I'd say probably one shot. On tour in front of thousands.. probably not.

Tour 18 in Houston has a replica hole. I'm not sure if it is an exact match green size and slope, but I've played that course 3 times and have kept it dry all 3 times. I can not remember how many of those were gir, but they were dry.
I think the pros play it around 130, tees I was playing from had it around 110.
Now, if I was playing in an individual stroke play tournament, I can see that hole getting harder.

It is one of my favorite holes to have played (I actually like 16 better) First time: hit green 2 putt par. Second time hit green, 3 putt bogey. 3rd time, in the water once, on green from drop zone. 2 putt. 4th time on green, but a long way from the hole, 3 putt.

While I have never played Sawgrass, there's a course near me, Renditions, that has a replica of the hole. I have played the course about 6 times and I'm 50/50 getting on the green. Now if one really wants a challenge, there is another course that I play in the Delaware portion of the Delmarva, that has an island fairway.

If recent memory is any indication. First ball is in the drink GUARANTEED. Then I re-tee and hit it inside of 10 feet. Lip the bogey putt for a double and move on....

I played it 3 years ago. Hit the green with first shot about 20ft from pin. Two putted for par. The two visitors playing with me both missed on first try, and one of them gave up after dunking 2 more from the drop area. We had a member playing with us and he told us he misses green 1 out of 5 times.

Our forecaddie said what dooms most visitors is they start thinking about 17 on the very 1st tee box and it just builds from there.

I have played the whole a half dozen times and it is not an easy shot by any stretch. It no more than 9 iron on windy day but from the tee at ground level it makes you think. If you haven't played the hole before, I'd be surprised if you could green it after one or two swings. The best in the world that have played 80 times are missing

Back