Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
Freddie, or anyone:

How can one maintain a good consistency from one round to the next. Thursday I was playing good golf, had some great ball striking and things clicked. Today I had a miserable day. Slicing, hooking, topping, shanking, blading. How can one go from a good day and repeat the performance on the next day? I find it really strange how I could do a 180 and go from good ball striking to not even hitting the ball?

That's golf dude.

Good players just have better bad days. If you're reliant on timing, you can really struggle with consistency. Known this from experience unfortunately.

I would like to find some consistency from hole to hole. Golf is maddening sometimes.

My swing is all timing and there is a huge void between a good day and a bad day for me.
I think the only thing that keeps me out of the hundreds when it goes to crap is short game. No matter what your swing is doing your short game should always be there.

Pete I am in the same boat man. Shot 88 and felt awesome, next shot a high ninety score. Just keep at it man and grind away.

I hear ya dude, I just think it's the game of golf haha

To me really good players seem to have the ability to post a score on a bad day, but I do think everyone experiences this. I'm sure there are things anyone can do to reduce this, but surely it can't be possible to remove it altogether. I find it's more important how I react to a bad shot or round that is most significant...

That's golf dude.

Good players just have better bad days. If you're reliant on timing, you can really struggle with consistency. Known this from experience unfortunately.

This is me as well, but I am hoping the swing changes I am going through will help me get away from relying on timing to reduce the consistency problems I have

Golf is day to day for all of us including the world class players. Take a day or two off and move on. You can do nothing about yesterdays round.

I have that same question and am searching for the answer. I personally things to help prevent the bad scores is the mental ability to forget the bad shots and a good short game to help recover from the bad shank, slice, or whatever.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you figure out the answer, please share it with the rest of us!

Lack of Consistency is just weekend warrior golf......heck this week I hit 3 of the best drives of the year on the last 3 holes on the front 9....make the turn and proceeded to hook one on 10, slice one on 11....dead pull on 13, finally hit another good one on 14.....you get the picture.

I thought I was making the same swing as I did on 5,7 and 9...but I guess not.

I would like to hear from Freddie on this one.

I agree that some amount of inconsistency is going to happen. So it isn't going away, but how do we minimize it? More practice? Better emphasis on the fundamentals before every swing - posture, grip, ball position, etc?

Lack of Consistency is just weekend warrior golf......heck this week I hit 3 of the best drives of the year on the last 3 holes on the front 9....make the turn and proceeded to hook one on 10, slice one on 11....dead pull on 13, finally hit another good one on 14.....you get the picture.

I thought I was making the same swing as I did on 5,7 and 9...but I guess not.

I agree with this. Whenever I'm just playing Saturday golf It's really a crapshoot how I'm going to play but if there's a long weekend, the wife is busy, and I play 3 rounds in 4 days there is usually a couple solid rounds in there. If I manage to get a range session or two in during the week my rounds are typically better as well, but short game is streaky regardless.

Doing 50-60 full swings per week you can really only get to be so consistent.

It would seem most are consistent with their golf scores if not their ball striking. As I look at the "what did you shoot today" and ghin revision threads it appears most don't have wild swings in either direction. Maybe I'm just looking at it differently.

I marvel at how consistent golfers score. Some I play with can hit the ball better some days or putt better some days but the score seems to be very similar. I can perfectly understand if someone is saying why can't I be as consistent as I am on my 5 or 6 best holes each time out, but that is unrealistic IMO.

I have always had the mindset that if you are going to miss do it well. The idea is we aren't always going to hit the exact shot we want but you can still put it in a place to get up and down. Learn your miss so you can be prepared.

I am by no means consistent... The biggest things that affect me are body and mind. Played the same course, with the same ball, 3 days in a row this week.

One day I couldn't hit out of the sand, the next I was dead on. This was just a learning process and I remembered what I learned the day before and applied it the following day.

One day I am hitting my irons consistently the next I am missing the ball horribly. I was able to turn it around after a few holes, but first I had to realize what was going on.

I was tired from having played so much golf which affected my desire to hit good shots. The day before I had incredible focus, I was analyzing my clubhead alignment pre-swing and the second day I took that for granted.

Another huge variable is lower back pain and wrist pain. Your body will involuntarily swing in a manner that protects itself from harm. If you've done a lot of physical work lately or haven't slept good body pains can play a big role in consistency.

Being hungry is a huge distraction. Also personal issues or even the weather affecting happiness.

Just slowing things down and realizing what your doing wrong can help to be more consistent. Like "I am slicing the ball", So Your ball is spinning sideways. Try to mimic your swing you've just made in slow motion and look at the clubhead where impact would have been and figure out why the ball spun sideways.

It would seem most are consistent with their golf scores if not their ball striking. As I look at the "what did you shoot today" and ghin revision threads it appears most don't have wild swings in either direction. Maybe I'm just looking at it differently.

I marvel at how consistent golfers score. Some I play with can hit the ball better some days or putt better some days but the score seems to be very similar. I can perfectly understand if someone is saying why can't I be as consistent as I am on my 5 or 6 best holes each time out, but that is unrealistic IMO.

It's very difficult in golf to play your best more than a couple days in a row. The USGA handicap system is set up so you only play to your handicap 20-25% of the time, so in that sense, all golfers are inconsistent.

Most all the work I do on the range is to make my swing more repeatable - it's a lifelong struggle for all of us.

It's very difficult in golf to play your best more than a couple days in a row. The USGA handicap system is set up so you only play to your handicap 20-25% of the time, so in that sense, all golfers are inconsistent.

Most all the work I do on the range is to make my swing more repeatable - it's a lifelong struggle for all of us.

Yes, but most golfers scores are pretty close. You can have an outlier or two that skews the averages, but what surprises me is how consistent a friend of mine is that shoots between 97-103. That is his range on 95% of his rounds.

Time, patience, and work are the only things that did it for me and I still don't have a ton of it lol.

Freddie, or anyone:

How can one maintain a good consistency from one round to the next. Thursday I was playing good golf, had some great ball striking and things clicked. Today I had a miserable day. Slicing, hooking, topping, shanking, blading. How can one go from a good day and repeat the performance on the next day? I find it really strange how I could do a 180 and go from good ball striking to not even hitting the ball?
Martin Kymer tied the course record on Thursday at the Players Championship. He followed that round with a pretty blah second round in comparison to the day before. That's just how it goes for everyone that plays golf.

The key it have. Repeatable swing. And everyone, regardless of skill level, can have a repeatable swing. That swing could produce sub par rounds or bogie golf rounds. Just need to find that swing and or that game

Back