What's your bad shot that turned out being great?

tpluff

I <3 GAWLF
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
Let's be honest, we hit a lot of bad shots. Typically these bad shots give us a less than desirable result. The beauty of golf, however, is that once in a while the golf gods are on our side and give us a break when we need it. Tell your story of a time where you didn't execute the shot you were trying to, but the result ended up just as good, if not better, than you were originally trying to achieve.

My story: 215 yard par 3. Hit a 4 iron and thinned it something terrible with a horrible swing. It probably traveled 40 yards in the air, but the hole was slightly downhill and clear of hazard all the way to the green. Ball rolled the length of the fairway and onto the green, ending up about 8 feet from the pin for a birdie chance that I didn't deserve.

175 yard SEVERE downhill par 3 at my league course. I've been playing there for 10 years and have hit everything from AW to 8i from the two sets of tees. One night I pushed my tee shot short and right, which came down in the fescue, hit a rock, and bounced forward and left onto the green. I'm 1-1 finding a GIR that way, and 8-367 finding a GIR the normal way.

During our Ultimate Testing weekend at Championsgate. My tee shot on the 9th hole was pushed right...way right onto the entrance road. And it bounced down the road like a pin-ball between the two curbs before coming to rest in the rough about pin high....375 yards from the tee box.

Wow Pete, guess it's some of that luck of the Irish!

Wow Pete, guess it's some of that luck of the Irish!
I'll take all the luck I can get it. This game is hard enough.

I actually feel like I have at least one of these around where you hit a shot, it feels bad, it looks bad and then all of the sudden it works out!

Grounded driver that hooked and ended up with a tree majorly in my way to go for green, ended up taking my medicine and punched out into the fairway and was left with a roughly 155 yd approach. It was my first round with my Burner irons, and I wasn't hitting them very well. Ended up thinning my 8i, baby hook (again) and ran up the fairway and rolled onto the green, pin high and about 20 ft away.

Luckily I backed up this kind of luck by sinking the par putt as well :act-up:

This is by no means the best possible result on the worst possible swing, but it always stands out as funny to me..

One of my first THP outings was in Columbus OH in rainy, windy 40* weather. We played our second round as I believe a 6some and the first par three, I hit a shot low on the face (with a full on blade 7 iron) and it stung my hands soooo bad with the cold that I shouted out in agony and disappointment..... Only to watch the ball draw in, roll straight and the pin, and I believe lip out of front side for a near hole in one.

Funny stuff. I didn't hear the end of that for a while.

One thing I always remember is when we were playing in the almost dark. I hit a tee shot that I know went left and heard it hit the trees. Went to look for a few minutes and my friend found it in the middle of the fairway.

I have actually had the skulled wedge hit the flag and fall to 2 inches, when it would have been 20 yards over the green otherwise. I must aim fairly well on alignment, because I have hit the flag stick a few times on skulls.

I hit a 3 iron in the forehead Friday that resembled a floozy at closing time. The more I watched it, the better it became. Took the ground roll to about 10 feet.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

The one that stands out the most for me is when I played Mauna Kea in Hawaii a few years ago.
I pulled and hooked a drive, trying to kill it on a long par 5 that is lined on both sides with big chunks of lava rock.
The ball flew out into the lava field and bounced around like a pinball about 4 times. It then spit out to just about a foot into the fairway.
I had to replace the ball due to the damage from the lava. It looked like someone took a grinder and an axe to it.
But it was in the fairway and I managed to make par.

At #theking I hit an 8i a bit thin on a par 3 and was begging for it to get down. It stopped 4' from the pin and I made birdie.

A long time ago I had 120 left with a big ditch/creek just in front of me. I skulled my wedge down into the ditch, hit concrete embankment, and the ball popped back out, landing about 10' from the pin. The funny part was dad didn't see me hit the shot, he only looked up in time to see the ball hit the green saying "nice shot". We had a good laugh when I told him what really happened.

More recently:
I pushed my second shot on a par 5 and still had a shot at the green, but had to closely skirt some trees from the right. I pushed the approach shot also, and was expecting to watch it splash into the hazard right of the green. Halfway there it just ticks a limb from one the trees, which corrected the flight and I ended up on the green.

Just yesterday morning, I dead pulled a solid 8 iron on a downhill par 3. I was beyond p!ssed off as the hole is easy because it just takes a nice, smooth swing to get the ball on the big green. As I was dropping a few choice words, my buddies yelled that it had hit the tree on the left, OB, and was airborne, coming back to the green. It landed, hopped, and ended up about 25 feet from the hole. Easy par! LOL

I was playing just a couple weeks ago, on the green in 3 staring a 35-40ft huge right to left breaking putt in the face. All I had in mind was getting it close and making a bogey. Lined up, hit it, yelled that I shouldn't of pushed it and started my usual stare at the sky from a bad shot. Low and behold, my playing parters started the "look at this!" talk, and I look to see my ball die and drop in the hole for a finishing par!

Had an approach shot into a par 5 roughly 145 to the middle. I took an 8i and just thinned the crap out of it. Somehow I managed to put enough top spin on the ball for it to roll to about 4 feet from the green. Up and down for a par.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Generally with me it's a slightly thin that ends up good

Today, was in the thick stuff with low trees in the way and about 70 yards out. Had to punch it real low. Decided to do a power chip with my 7i and wound up thinning the shot. However, I put on enough oomph and it rolled fast, skipped over the sand trap and pop up onto the green. Only time where I'm happy I thinned a shot.

A few weeks ago, I was hitting an approach into a green, I pulled it left, hit some greenside mounding, rolled towards and onto the green, and down a tier, and into the hole!

Birdie Baby! I didn't deserve it, But I wrote it down!

Once I was 190 out on a long par 4...thinned the h-e double hockey sticks out of a 4 hybrid....it never gets more than 10 feet off the ground, runs up the green and hits the pin dead square and ricochets about 5 feet right and I proceed to make the putt for birdie.

Many years ago, I saw a guy skip a ball 3 times across the water on a par 3 and it rolled up and went in for a Hole in One

Once I was 190 out on a long par 4...thinned the h-e double hockey sticks out of a 4 hybrid....it never gets more than 10 feet off the ground, runs up the green and hits the pin dead square and ricochets about 5 feet right and I proceed to make the putt for birdie.

Many years ago, I saw a guy skip a ball 3 times across the water on a par 3 and it rolled up and went in for a Hole in One

This was pretty much what I was going to post about. I was 200 or so out on a par 4 (duffed a drive) - took out the 3 hybrid, probably hit it at the equator of the ball - just rolled forever, to about 10 feet from the hole. Shook my head, laughed, and putted. I'll take that distance from 200 any day.

On a short par 4 Saturday, I was 115 yards to a small green, but had to go over a creek and a hugh tree right in my way. Tried to hit a long super high lob and thinned the ball. Easily could have hit the tree and dropped into the creek, but instead dropped to the green and ten foot from the flag, haha.

I had a very similar shot to the one tpluff described. A 180ish par 3 that plays longer, wind is always in your face and a little uphill.
There is a swampy area about 50 yards in front of the teebox where the grass grows so tall you can't see the lower part of the green sometimes.
I "skulled" a 6 iron, even caught the top of the long grass. I figured it was in the collection area in front of the green or worse.
We got up there and couldn't figure out whose ball was a couple feet from the hole. Somehow it was mine. Made the birdie putt too :)

Probably this one that I posted in the shot of the day thread.....

Par 4, 410yds into a headwind and I didn't hit the drive very well and it ballooned a bit in the wind, but was still in the fairway with around 190-200yds to go to a green below the level of where my tee shot landed with a ditch running across about 50yds short of the green

I took my 5w and didn't quite hit it cleanly and ended up with a low screamer that landed short left of the green and chased down the left to right slope onto the green and finished here....

IMAG0041_zpsdek3sdxx.jpg

Again, I mis-read the putt but still walked off with a par

Mine came to me instantly. It was during the singles matches at Waterlefe for the unofficial Gauntlet. Anyone who remembers the layout of the hole will know how ridiculous this is (Niteowl for sure remembers).

The 4th hole is a par 3 that was playing around 160 if I remember correctly. I had a 9 iron in my hand and was feeling very confident with that club. Water all down the left side and I think two bunkers guarding each side of the green. I caught it thin, by thin I mean my ball was maybe 2 feet off the ground and it's peak. I was instantly nervous of the water as my ball went towards the embankment that slopes to the water. My ball road the embankment a little bit, kicked out somehow, and rolled pin high leaving me a 12 or so foot putt for birdie. To this day it is the most ridiculous shot I have ever hit.

Back