Wedge Setup and Why?

I carry 54 and 58 Scratch wedges that complement my Mizuno GW. I use them for the same shots, except I'm able to alter shot height and distance more easily with loft than I am purely swing length, so it makes my shot selection easier. Short sided shots, for example, are much less scary with my 58, as are shots over obstructions like bunkers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love the short game, and so I often drop my 3 wood for an extra wedge. I know everyone is worried about "gaps", but really I think with wedges it's about having a set of tools that makes you completely confident in anything you face in the short game. Raw distance isn't the most important single factor. For variance, we can use something with a heavy face, something to attack at "scary distances" (for many 50 to 80 yards), some for tight lies, something for rough, etc.

I play:

PW 45* (altitude hybrid): Good for about 115 yards, high trajectory, soft landing.
Gap 49* (altitude hybrid): Attacks 80 to 90 yards excellently well for me.
52*: Mizuno Jpx with a heavy feeling head and for that 65 to 75 range I can drop it out of the sky at the pin.
56*.14: More bounce on this. The most versatile wedge I have. 5 to 59 yards this thing can be a surgical tool. Sand, chip, pitch, and rough. The only issue I have with it is from very tight lies that need to go longer than about 20 yards, that bounce can cause issues. So...
60*.08: I use this to attack when I need to get high, have a lot of spin (lob/flop), or when the lie is very tight and smacking it long in error is unacceptable.
Smart Sole S: This is new for me. Picked it up after reading a thread here, and only have had a few days with it. I bought it to be a defensive club when I get into bunkers or etc and my swing is just not in place for whatever reason. Already saved my bacon on the par 3 course today and it helped me get to one of my best single round scores on this course. Mid round I'd just grab the 56. But when I'm protecting my best score on the last hole and I went into the bunker--it felt so good to just pull the S and get my par with almost no worry about it. Very weird feeling to go into a bunker on that last hole, with all the pressure, and my heart rate didn't change at all.

Last edited:
Changed to 52/56/60 all bent down 2* strong to reduce the bounce. Gaps better with irons and performs a lot better down here.

Tap Tap Taparoo

Wedge Setup and Why?

I've had a set made up of 49, 54, and 59 most of last season and still so far this year. I've found out that I RARELY EVER use the 54. I use the 59 in green side bunkers, and from 50 yards and out will use the 49 and vary the shot by opening or closing the face, gripping down the shaft, and/or vary the backswing.

Now that I'm switching to the Apex's I think I might change it up to a 2 wedge setup..... That is, use the Apex gap wedge and a 59 wedge, then probably add another fairway or hybrid.

Tapa tapa tapa

This one is not about brands really, but in recent surveying, we noticed something. Most golfers are going with a 52, 56, and 60 degree wedge. Those that carry 3 wedges anyway. However most of the newer sets are seeing PW's more strong lofted.
I use a 4-wedge setup like you're referring to. Lofts of 48°, 52°, 56° and 60°. This is to have the nicest gaps. I don't really shoot full shots with the 60, but do with the others. :)

I have been noticing a gap between my 52* and my PW, so I am thinking of changing up to a 50*, 54*, and 58* to lessen the gap being that my PW is 46*.
I've been thinking about a three wedge setup, 48°, 53° and 58°. This way I have room for something long in the bag, I was thinking my three iron. (Or switch to 3W/5W/20° hybrid) I'm not too sure though as I'd only want to do this when I'm sure I'm not going for a new set of irons..

Last edited:
48* PW
53* GW
58* LW
Is what's in my current line up.

I had a 48,52,56 and 60 set up for a while,but decided my current set up would be better.It allowed me to add a 17* hybrid to help narrow the gap between the 22* hybrid and 14.5* 3 Wood.

Set has changed slightly

Still 48* PW
54* SW
And now 60* LW

The 58 went farther then I wanted

Wedge Setup and Why?

I am look to change up my 52,56,69. I hit my 52 around 125, 56 around 105 and lob around 80. I never use the lob for full shots unless i need to. I am thinking of weakening each by 1 or 2 degrees. Just for my options and close the gap between my gap and sand wedge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Really thinking about moving back to a 50/55/60 setup this year instead of the 50/54/58 I gamed last year. I find that the 60* was so much better for me in sand situations than the 58* was, and while this may be purely mental, it's something I have to deal with.

My 54* is my crutch club inside 110 yards, and I feel that the 55* has always been the same.

Biggest difference for me would be full shots with the 60* in place of the 58* that I got extremely comfortable with.

I'm considering doing something close Ryan, thinking about keeping the 54 bc like you its my 110 in club, but I'm thinking of going from the 58 to a higher bounce 60

Of course, I'm also SERIOUSLY considering going set SW full time.

I rethought my wedge set up this year. Since I have the Cobra Amp Cells now and the 0
PW is 44 degrees I decided to find a 48 degree and 52 and 56. I took out the 60 and I am learning to play short chips and pitches with me and so far it is treating me very well. Too much inconsistency with the 60 so it has to go

Really thinking about moving back to a 50/55/60 setup this year instead of the 50/54/58 I gamed last year. I find that the 60* was so much better for me in sand situations than the 58* was, and while this may be purely mental, it's something I have to deal with.

My 54* is my crutch club inside 110 yards, and I feel that the 55* has always been the same.

Biggest difference for me would be full shots with the 60* in place of the 58* that I got extremely comfortable with.

That's the same setup I've went back too. My 50 though this time matches my set

I have three SM4 wedges in 50, 56, and 60 with S200 shafts to try and maintain consistency with my irons 3-PW with S300 shafts. I do hit my wedges with full swings, but I'm not as consistent with them as I am with my PW. I use the 56 out of bunkers with a lot of success and the 60 around the greens from 30 and in.

I think my next set will include the matching set wedge in the 50 degree range (like the W1 in the 714 AP2 set). Then a 55/56 for bunkers and 58 or 60 for around greens. I want to try spinier (is that a word) shafts like the DG spinners in the two non-set wedges I end up with. I'll probably try them during a fitting to get some data with them before I make up my mind though. Or buy a used one to throw in my current 60 degree wedge.

I'll be going to a 50, 54, 58 set up this week. My PW goes 135-145 and my current 52 gap wedge maxes out at 115 (and usually right for some reason). I need to close that gap and I think a 50, 54, 58 should give me nice normal swings down to 75 yards.

Gaming just 56* SM5 for two weeks already. Usually I'd put 54* & 60* Mizzy MP-T4 in the bag. So far, my short game is better with less wedges, and SM5 have great spin!

Bumping this for 441...

Bumping an old thread to talk wedge setups.

Historically Ive played 50/54/58
The last few months Ive played 52/56/60

What Ive noticed.

In the first setup I loved using my 54* from everywhere along with the 58* and then the 50 was hardly ever used.

In the 2nd setup pretty much the same thing happened, Im in LOVE with my PW and would rather hit a 3/4 of it than a full swing 52*

So Im pondering a setup that due to PW loft will give me an extra club to ponder on the other end of the bag.

thinking 49/53/57...with bounce gradually decreasing.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of setup or have any thoughts?

I've played that setup for over two years 441. Just added the 60 this year, but before that I stopped at 57 and did quite well.

Yeah the more I think about it the more im certain this has to happen to help me on the other end.

And like I mentioned to you the last thing I need to worry about is which of 5 wedges to grab on a shot.

Keep it simple

Yeah the more I think about it the more im certain this has to happen to help me on the other end.

And like I mentioned to you the last thing I need to worry about is which of 5 wedges to grab on a shot.

Keep it simple

57 sort of became my go-to around the greens and for bunker shots. 53 was a pitching club and for longer chip shots. Same with the 49.

I had a 49* once, it was a niblick lol

Im pretty vanilla I suppose with how I use the wedges, but I know who I am and a open up the face flopper is not me

Yepper. Play to your strengths buddy.

I'm kind of the same way Mike, I use the 54/56 probably 90% of the time around the greens, sometimes the 58/60, and would rather take a half swing with e PW to get me the distance that the 52 would get me with a full swing. Now with the Apex AW in the bag, that may change a bit, but we will see I guess.

I'm kind of the same way Mike, I use the 54/56 probably 90% of the time around the greens, sometimes the 58/60, and would rather take a half swing with e PW to get me the distance that the 52 would get me with a full swing. Now with the Apex AW in the bag, that may change a bit, but we will see I guess.

yeah Ive had the Apex AW for awhile and while the distance was there that I expected I was missing right side of green.

3* bent upright and I hit it 3 times this past weekend and both were right on line with the flag stick (1 long and 1 short) so much more confident with it now, but obviously thats more of a post MC decision to make

This one is not about brands really, but in recent surveying, we noticed something. Most golfers are going with a 52, 56, and 60 degree wedge. Those that carry 3 wedges anyway. However most of the newer sets are seeing PW's more strong lofted.

I have been noticing a gap between my 52* and my PW, so I am thinking of changing up to a 50*, 54*, and 58* to lessen the gap being that my PW is 46*.

What is your wedge setup and do you fill all the gaps that you need to?

I actually saw the same gaps with my clubs and went to a 50, 54, 58 set up. I could have actually gone 48, 52, 56 since my PW is playing at 44*.

I do try to fill gaps, but recently I'm finding myself playing for full shots that fit in my gap range. My PW goes carries 130-135 on a full swing and the 50 will go 120 on average but can do 125 if I get after it. I haven't run into any issues yet, but not enough time has really elapsed to allow for a good sample size with the new set up.

Back