Any low handicappers not take the game up until 30's or later?

I didn't play seriously till I turned 28. I'm a single digit now. I had clubs and played before but only 3 or 4 times a year. I really wish I had played earlier in life

I guess it depends on what you consider low. Anything is possible with correct swing mechanics and a good work ethic. But take baby steps and chip away at the game. Adopt one shot, either a fade or a draw. This will eliminate half the golf course. Work on the putting and chipping, a lot. If you have the means, get lessons.

I was 33 when I started playing, I took a series of 6 lessons in the very beginning and have never looked back lol. If you enjoy working hard for results you can go as low as you'd like, I truly believe that.

I was 33 when I started playing, I took a series of 6 lessons in the very beginning and have never looked back lol. If you enjoy working hard for results you can go as low as you'd like, I truly believe that.

Seriously I assumed that smooth swing has been around for ages...that's impressive dude.

Side note was just talking about you to my wife today. It involved awesome and genuine dudes.

I picked up the game after a serious layoff (1 year in high school, back last year seriously. Im now 34) while I'm not a low index player, I am improving and have mid singles in my sights. Any thing is possible with desire to learn, hard work and dedication

All this stuff encourages me big time, being that I'm only 24. I'm not good, but I'm getting better.

I played for 2-3 years as a teenager, took about 15 years off, and then picked it up again last year. I don't consider myself a low handicapper yet but progress has been better than I hoped for.

My neighbor 2 doors down didn't start until his early 30's and plays to a +1.1 currently. He does play over 120 rounds a year. He may just have great genetics for golf. His son started 4 years ago at age 13 and is now a +3.6. He has another year of high school left and the golf programs at Stanford and ASU have already had him visit with their golf coaches.

If your looking for inspiration, Larry Nelson started playing at age 21 and won the 1983 US Open and 2 PGA Championships.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not me. Grew up next to a golf course and have been playing since Jr high but not seriously until after my baseball career came to an end in 99'.

I did not pick up the game until 2007.

I stopped playing for 12 years from 18 to 30 then picked it back up 4 years ago i did not have much of a swing when i came back

I started playing when I was 15 and played til I was 23 and then I got married and had kids and hardly played til I was 46 which was 4 years ago and I love playing. I have never had a lesson, but picked a few things up from my buddies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty impressive Marc

I didn't seriously get into it till about 2 years ago. I will be 30 later this year. My index in a 7.0 trending to a 6. I am a hockey player turned club ho.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I started playing a couple years ago when I turned 30 and I'm still hoping to break 90. Hopefully before I turn 40 haha.

I started playing about 3 months before I turned 34. I'll be 35 in October. I'm not a low HCP yet... but I'm determined to be one soon. I think it's perhaps a bit easier if you learn when you're still more flexible and your muscles haven't been trained to specific movements for so long. But I think with the right mindset it can still be done.

Grathan, I am a believer in achieving whatever you put your mind to. Perseverance.

This. I started playing last year at the age of 35. I truly believe if I work hard enough I can get to scratch at some point.

[video=youtube;APx2yFA0-B4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APx2yFA0-B4[/video]

I started playing at 22, but did not seriously work on my game until I was 38. I am 41 now and am working to be a single digit player by the time I am 43. It's all about desire and work ethic. If you have those you will do whatever it takes to meet your goal! Whether you reach it or not is another story, but if you can say that you did your best to reach it, that's all that matters I think. Good luck!

I started in my 20's, but played only a couple of seasons, 10-20 rounds per season. Stopped playing for 7 years, and started again when I was 30. HCP 26->7.

First started playing with my dad when I was a kid and if I had had an official handicap it would have been somewhere around 11-12 at that time

Didn't play for probably about 15 years before getting back into it about 10 years ago, but only played on and off for a number of years and even missed a couple years due to work changes

Played more the last couple of years and just got my first official handicap of 14 which I am hoping to get down as low as possible over the next few years

So I would say regardless of how old you are when you started playing, if you want to get your handicap as low as possible and are prepared to work at it, then anything is possible

I would not say I am a low handicap yet--but I plan to be in that category very soon. Started at age 41--now 44 and creeping down!

Edit: 6.9 on last revision

Last edited:
I would not say I am a low handicap yet--but I plan to be in that category very soon. Started at age 41--now 44 and creeping down!
This is me. Started at 41 (last July 4th) and I fully intend on improving my game to the point where I play in the 80's consistently*. If you want it, you can do it. Some people are born with it, some people have to grab it by the horns and hang on for dear life.

*When I get there, I'm sure I'll push myself for a single digit handicap.

Though I did start playing in '99 at age 22, I had to stop after a few years. I was a 6-7 handicap when I broke my back. Revalidation took ages and I just didn't feel like golf for a long time. Started playing again just 13 months ago. Had to learn a new swing due to my back, some of my equipment didn't work for me anymore so I had quite a struggle finding stuff that does work. I'm back at 11.1 handicap now, should be single in a few weeks and hope to drop to below 7.5 this year.

My biggest issue was finding the right putter and re-inventing a chipping stroke that works for me. Found the putter mere weeks ago, still struggling a bit with the chipping, but had a great short (15min) lesson from a friend who's a PGA pro last Thursday and it seems to work better now. :)

Back