Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Went out to play four holes behind my house. I was a o impressed again, and ended up getting my first TWO birdies ever. One on the par five behind my house, the second on a par three.

On the par five, I hit my drive to about 210 out, hit my 3h pin high, but about 15 yards off the green. I had plenty of green to work with so I used the PW to bump and run it onto the green. The shot worked perfectly and I got the ball to roll about eight feet from the hole. I made the putt for my first ever birdie!

I bogeyed the next hole, but on it I hit a great shot with the seven iron that just went too far. I was between clubs but had to clear a bunker in front of the green. On my approach, I hit it great and the ball landed on the green but rolled slightly off it.

The next hole had a bit of trouble off the tee, but I still had an opportunity to hit a great approach shot (after my rescue shot) that landed on the green and stayed there.

The last hole I played was a par three over water. My tee shot landed about three feet from the pin. The ball was about a foot from the ball mark on the green. I made the putt for my second birdie of the night.

These clubs give me so much confidence. Somewhere someone said that these clubs make balls land like bean bags, and that appears to be the case with me and these clubs.

Tonight, all I wanted was to know the yardage so I could pull the right club; the shots were automatic. It was so much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 4I is so easy to hit that I'm pondering adding a 3I ?⛳️.

These irons provide a comfort for me that is hard to explain. I was ready to take a break from golf however now I'm looking forward to getting back out there!

The 4I is so easy to hit that I'm pondering adding a 3I ⛳️.

These irons provide a comfort for me that is hard to explain. I was ready to take a break from golf however now I'm looking forward to getting back out there!

haha, it didn't take me long to want the 3i. Now that I have it, I love it. I even sometimes wish they made a 2i.

haha, it didn't take me long to want the 3i. Now that I have it, I love it. I even sometimes wish they made a 2i.

Get another 3i and bend it 2* stronger

I took my Callaway X Hot irons for a 9 hole practice hit today I couldn't hit them I was hitting them all fat. I wonder if it has anything to do with using the Altitudes

I really should be pondering a 4 and a 5 in these.

As always stupid easy to hit on the range, have to but a real AWFUL swing on it for it to do something bad.

Tried JB's 5I on the course once, pin was kind of left side of the green and JB told me to aim right at it. Well of course I aimed more right as I usually draw the ball in and I hit one real flush that didnt draw at all but was pin high on the right and I 2 putted for par. The ball just flies off of the face of these and Im much more comfortable standing over the ball with one of these than I currently am with a Hybrid and even on most occasions a traditional 5I.

I really should be pondering a 4 and a 5 in these.

As always stupid easy to hit on the range, have to but a real AWFUL swing on it for it to do something bad.

Tried JB's 5I on the course once, pin was kind of left side of the green and JB told me to aim right at it. Well of course I aimed more right as I usually draw the ball in and I hit one real flush that didnt draw at all but was pin high on the right and I 2 putted for par. The ball just flies off of the face of these and Im much more com

Sounds like a done deal to me Mike.

Try moving the ball back in your stance just a tad bit at a time, that's what I did and BOOOOOM!

I was playing around with my setup at the range this weekend. This is one of the few clubs I've ever really been able to move back and forth in my stance and "flight" the ball with. I can go back with a stronger grip and hit dead straight, lower rockets. I can move it forwards, go with a weaker grip and hit high fades.

I must admit that it is pretty cool.........

I played this weekend with the 4&5. (TT's for 6-DW)

Only used them a couple of times, but they are really nice. I need to get to the range and the launch monitor to check it, but I think I'm around 190-200 with the 4 and 170-180 with the 5.

The most interesting thing is that I don't feel helpless at those distances anymore, which is starting to change my course management. I think I could gain a couple of strokes per round just by getting better in this area.

I'm trying to get from a 13 down to a 9, so I need to find ways to shave in every portion of my game. Course management, ball striking, short game, tee box. I should be able to find 4 shots in there, but staying consistently 4 shots better is the tough part.

The 4I is so easy to hit that I'm pondering adding a 3I ⛳️.

You won't regret the 3. To me, these get better the longer they are.

Get another 3i and bend it 2* stronger

This has completely crossed my mind.

This has completely crossed my mind.

Yea I'm going to get one asap. ?

These are the easiest long irons to hit. I have supreme confidence I can crush these long irons. It's been 2 weeks since elbow surgery, and I hope to begin playing Memorial Day. Probably a little wishful thinking, but that's my goal.

I can definitely see that being the case for a higher swing speed player. I'm guessing you're on the higher side of average given your driver's loft, but if not, then I apologize. :)

For the lower swing speed player, the 3 and 4 may not have enough shaft for the loft. Of course you could also bend them to be a little less aggressive.

JPR1959: Good luck with the recovery!! Going from elbow surgery to playing that quickly would be an amazing recovery regardless of age.

For now, the 4 and 5 in these are back in my bag. And I actually had them for sale in the marketplace at one point.

For now, the 4 and 5 in these are back in my bag. And I actually had them for sale in the marketplace at one point.

I love the 5, its cool if you like straight and easy to hit and high shots with great distance.

Havent hit the 4 much though, guessing its eerily similar

I love the 5, its cool if you like straight and easy to hit and high shots with great distance.

Havent hit the 4 much though, guessing its eerily similar

Agree. The 5i has become super reliable. The 4i is definitely similar; a smidge lower ball flight, but very easy distance. I always loved the feel and ball flight of these, but my swing last season was too shoddy for them. I'm glad lessons have helped set these straight for me. I'm almost kicking myself I got rid of the 3i.

Here's a question for you all. Doesn't exactly pertain to these only, but something I'm curious about.

When I hear that people set up wrong with offset, which can lead to lefts, how are they setting up wrong? I know the higher irons in this set are not offset, but the longer ones are like you'd expect in GI long iron. I hit a lot of lefts with the longer ones. Curious if my setup is the reason for that.

Here's a question for you all. Doesn't exactly pertain to these only, but something I'm curious about.

When I hear that people set up wrong with offset, which can lead to lefts, how are they setting up wrong? I know the higher irons in this set are not offset, but the longer ones are like you'd expect in GI long iron. I hit a lot of lefts with the longer ones. Curious if my setup is the reason for that.

I actually took a lesson last summer where I brought the Altitude 4 and my 7i (different brand) to show how I kept hitting the 4 way left and the 7i fine. The golf pro showed me how I was setting up left and then flattening out my swing to go even more left, while I was setting up straight with the 7i. He had me make sure the grooves on the club head were pointed where I wanted to hit, then had me set up after that because I kept doing it. So I was aiming left with the club head, which put my posture left of the target as well. Not sure if this helps, but it's an issue I had with these for a long time that looked to be based on a bad set up coupled with a flat, too far inside swing.

That's very helpful. I think I might stick a nail or something on the face so I can see it. I'd love to have these as a reliable long club option, but I couldn't make it work last year.

for me its any club and trying to hit too hard, pull left. I do it more in the long irons because you are 190 out and want to pound it instead of letting the club work.

That's very helpful. I think I might stick a nail or something on the face so I can see it. I'd love to have these as a reliable long club option, but I couldn't make it work last year.

Hawk offset can help some golfers hit it left, but usually offset helps elevate the ball. I think usually hitting hybrids or meatier clubs more left is more a function of getting more mass behind and sometimes under the ball thus exacerbating the draw/hook spin.

This made me lol, thanks!

Its the truth, ive tried these now off and on maybe 8-9 times now outside with THPERS. And if Ive hit 100 balls with them I may have hit MAYBE 10 bad, and I think 1 of them was with my eyes closed

for me its any club and trying to hit too hard, pull left. I do it more in the long irons because you are 190 out and want to pound it instead of letting the club work.

Its also more noticeable with the long irons because they have less loft thus less back spin and more side spin.

Back