2014 THP Bridgestone Championship - PGA National

For what it's worth, Kayak tells you if they think rates are going to go up or not and whether to book now or to wait. They recommended to me that I book now as they expected the rates from PHL to PBI to increase within the next few weeks

Dont put too much stock into that one, used with a delta flight and waited and waited and ended up paying $110 more for my flight

thanks Kayak!

Dont put too much stock into that one, used with a delta flight and waited and waited and ended up paying $110 more for my flight

thanks Kayak!

OOF! I don't travel much, so that's good to know. I figured the Travelocity guarantee was good enough for me. Price drops, i get the lower price.

OOF! I don't travel much, so that's good to know. I figured the Travelocity guarantee was good enough for me. Price drops, i get the lower price.

oh yeah if u already booked and got that its a great move

thanks Kayak!

Yeah, its terrible.
I wont fly without a rewards number.
The sites have the same deals as the travel sites do.
Plus when I booked through one of them and my price went down, I had to jump through hoops to get the difference back.
Ill stick to the rewards.

thanks Kayak!
Agreed, we work with Kayak and they are making their recommendations based on what they see the airlines/hotels systems do. it's not a perfect science by any means.

But back to topic:
This is guaranteed to be the best golf event of the year for me, so a few extra bucks getting there is well spent.

Hoping to have my flights booked this weekend after a quick talk with some of the Houston crew.

All miles for me, so I am just hoping I can get some flights at a decent time.

Man! This event is going to be great!

Gonna get some bear trap on!!!

Found this. Pretty awesome

http://www.pgaresort.com/golf/the-champion-golf-tips

1 - Short first hole with water left and OB right as fairway narrows at bunker. Deep narrow green has a deep pot bunker in the front that must be avoided; bailout is to the right of the green.

2 - Tough driving hole with trees lining the left and OB on the right. Landing area has a bunker narrowing fairway. Green has a bowl on front left which makes club selection crucial as there can be a 3 club difference from front to back.

- Generous fairway for this par 5 with bunkers left and right off the tee. Lone palm tree on the right is about a 100 yards from the center of the green making it a good target. Choose your approach wisely as the front portion of the green is extremely narrow sandwiched by deep bunkers. Take enough club if pin is back and leaving it short is not bad for a front pin.
- Short dogleg left par 4 with room right off the tee. Distance control for second shot is crucial as the wide shallow green is angled left to right. Deep bunkers in front and back of the green cradling a narrow green makes this one of the tougher short holes.
- Par 3 has water short and left with bailout right. Bowl mid-right on the green makes back pins difficult. Arguably the easiest par 3 on the course can be a beast if the tees are stretched to the back.
- Finding the fairway is crucial with bunkers right and left portion of the fairway sloping left into water for this par 5. Those going for it in 2 are better off aiming for the opening mid-right of the green as green slopes severely to the back left. Use this slope for approach shots to a back left pin.
- Par 3 has dip in the mid portion of the green with very little room to run up the ball making front pins difficult to find. Bunkers cover the front left and right portion of the green making the tee shot all carry distance. Very deep green makes club selection crucial.
- Generous fairway but water crosses hole. Check the wind carefully before deciding on a club as the prevailing wind may be blocked off by the trees surrounding this green. Green slopes back to front and left-to-right but generous areas makes for easy putting anywhere from the middle.
- Slight dogleg left with trees left and bunker right. Elevated green is covered by a bunker front left so take an extra club as a precaution. Green is angled back left to front right with a bailout area short right of the green.
- Dogleg right par 5 has open fairway with bunkers right. This par 5 has the easiest green out of the 4 so middle of the green gives you a good look at birdie. 3 good shots will give you a chance to take advantage of this hole.
- Fairway runs out to the right as water can come into play on this difficult par 4. Second shot is brutal without perfect distance as water guards the front and bunker back left. With the green angled front left to back right, there is very little forgiveness on the approach apart from a small area left of the green. This hole typically plays as one of the most difficult holes during the Honda Classic.
- Dogleg right par 4 is guarded with bunkers left and right. Solid faders of the ball can open up the right side of this green; otherwise the middle of the green is a safe bet with bail out left of the green.
- Narrow driving hole has penal bunkers up the left side and water guarding the right. Avoid bunkers short and right on approach to a slightly elevated green sloping back to front. This hole typically plays short that leaves you with a short iron in.
- Long dogleg left par 4 with bunkers left guarding balls trying to cut the corner. Hole plays longer as you play safe to the right side of the fairway. Green has severe bowl mid right with bailout right of green.
- First hole of the Bear Trap is a par 3 as water guards front/right/long and bunker left. Front left to back right diagonal green has bailout out short left. Check the wind carefully as this hole is susceptible to 3 club swings.
- The longer you hit your drive, the tighter the fairway becomes. Shortest approach is from the right side of the fairway but that involves negotiating the bunker and the water. Approach to a 2 tiered green is over water with a generous bailout short of the green.
- Water guards the front of this par 3 that plays slightly downhill. Bunker behind green leaves difficult shot to a green that slopes towards the water. Accurate club selection is a must with a bail out area to the left.
- Par 5 dogleg left has a generous fairway off the tee with severe narrowing for the layup shot. Approach to the green has bailout left off the green but is made difficult with water right and bunkers left. Beware the right pin as that portion of the green only has a sliver of green to work with.

The forgot the asterisk on the last four holes.

*too bad so sad if the wind is blowing 35mph. Bring some extra balls.

My favorite was people thinking they were getting home in 2 on 18 when the wind was blowing.
Now granted its not TX hard, but few things are.

My favorite was people thinking they were getting home in 2 on 18 when the wind was blowing.
Now granted its not TX hard, but few things are.

Rory did it, so anybody can do it right?

That hole doesnt get talked about a lot b/c of the Bear Trap, but it's a hard one too. The layup area is surrounded by bunkers and and narrow. If you're on the wrong side of the fairway you get to look at a bunch of water too. Tough hole

that first year it was BRUTAL

Haha my buddy who is a single digit player got to player here two years ago during the PGA Show. Said he put a cool dozen in the drink that round

#WormBurnersFTW

#WormBurnersFTW

As long as they aren't of 15-17 you are good to go lol.

Really, I also think 16 is underated in difficulty compared to the par 3's. A very small fairway followed by a smooth 200 yard shot over the water to probably the craziest green on the entire course.

As long as they aren't of 15-17 you are good to go lol.

Really, I also think 16 is underated in difficulty compared to the par 3's. A very small fairway followed by a smooth 200 yard shot over the water to probably the craziest green on the entire course.

and when the pin is on the right, it looks like there is nothing to work with.

Haha my buddy who is a single digit player got to player here two years ago during the PGA Show. Said he put a cool dozen in the drink that round

That is commitment to excellence, because the PGA Show and PGA National are VERY far apart. I mean several hours.

and when the pin is on the right, it looks like there is nothing to work with.

My favorite screw up on the Bear Trap was getting over the water on one of the par threes in a bail out area. Needed to chip it to a pin on the right side. Sent it right into the water. Doh.

That is commitment to excellence, because the PGA Show and PGA National are VERY far apart. I mean several hours.

I know - he is GM at a Golf Galaxy up here and won trip via the company. Went to the PGA show one day and then traveled down to PGA National for their round

Based on this course talk I'm glad starting to put the time in on my game, sounds like it plays as hard as it looks.

Using Tapatalk

I was going to say, I didn't know that was an option.

My favorite screw up on the Bear Trap was getting over the water on one of the par threes in a bail out area. Needed to chip it to a pin on the right side. Sent it right into the water. Doh.

On 17 I threw it on that front right bunker and had it on a downslope to that front pin. Not sure I've ever been more nervous over a shot in a bunker.

The champions course sounds like it will eat me alive, but I will have a smile on my face lol.

I was going to say, I didn't know that was an option.

Considering you nor I can even decide on a McFlurry size under pressure, you know an insane drive wasn't an option. Hahaha

Based on this course talk I'm glad starting to put the time in on my game, sounds like it plays as hard as it looks.

Using Tapatalk

The champions course sounds like it will eat me alive, but I will have a smile on my face lol.

Palmer course is definitely easier (and in my opinion more enjoyable), and really so is the front nine of the Champion. Right about hole 11 is where the Champ shows some real teeth.

Back