US Open Qualifiers.

Good luck out there. THP FTW!

Good luck!

Good luck!

good luck, i will be living vicariously through you today. lol

Last time I did it was 1987 but I may have time in a couple years to play in a qualifier. I would have a much better chance of making it through the first round at the US Senior Amateur qualifier because last year a 71 or 72 at most sites would have got you through the first round. I turn 50 in March so it will be all senior stuff from now on!

US Open Qualifiers.

I caddie for a close friend who made it thru Ann Arbor quailies. Were waiting to see which sectionals we get sent to, it will either be one of the two Ohio's or New York City.

TTing

I didnt make it but my buddy Matt got one of the spots at sectionals. The conditions were harsh. We got 5.5 inches of rain last night and they wouldnt let us LCP. I had to hit quite a few shots with my ball covered in mud and twice had to play partially embedded balls after the rules official refused to let me lift and place it from its mark in the fairway.

I didnt make it but my buddy Matt got one of the spots at sectionals. The conditions were harsh. We got 5.5 inches of rain last night and they wouldnt let us LCP. I had to hit quite a few shots with my ball covered in mud and twice had to play partially embedded balls after the rules official refused to let me lift and place it from its mark in the fairway.

That stinks that they wouldn't let you lift, clean, place under those conditions. I know and respect the competition portion but that just sounds crazy, I hope you had fun though and hopefully you'll get it next year. Great effort!

I can't believe they wouldn't allow LCP in those conditions, just seems crazy.

Will you be trying again this yr?

Embedded balls in the fairway are allowed to be replaced under 25-2 usga rules

Embedded balls in the fairway are allowed to be replaced under 25-2 usga rules

I carry a small USGA rules book in my bag and showed it to two different rules officials and neither one would allow me to lift the ball from its mark. They quoted some other ruling so I just played it out.

Brutal man. I'm sure it was a great experience nonetheless.

What'd you and your buddy shoot?

He shot an even par 72. I believe it was a 74.8/144 rating.

I can't believe they wouldn't allow LCP in those conditions, just seems crazy.

Will you be trying again this yr?

I will probably try for the Open again next year and if things work out I may try to Monday Qualify for the Wyndham.

There are probably going to be a few complaints sent to the USGA after this event. I think that there were over 30 WDs because of the rulings.

There are probably going to be a few complaints sent to the USGA after this event. I think that there were over 30 WDs because of the rulings.

Jeebus. That's no bueno. 30 WDs from this event alone?! Fit needs to hit the shan

I caddie for a close friend who made it thru Ann Arbor quailies. Were waiting to see which sectionals we get sent to, it will either be one of the two Ohio's or New York City.

TTing

This is about as close as Id ever get. Sounds like a cool experience Thain.

Thats pretty telling, numbers like that certainly show that there was a big problem.

I just got the final results and there were 39 WDs in total.

I just got the final results and there were 39 WDs in total.

At this one qualifier?!!!!!!! Which one did you play in? This is somewhat big news.

At this one qualifier?!!!!!!! Which one did you play in? This is somewhat big news.

We were at The Governors Club in Chapel Hill, NC. The course itself was in great condition but with 5.5 inches of rain over night there is no way that we should have had to play the ball down. There was still water flowing accross some if the fairways while we were playing.

Man, that sucks to have to play in conditions like that and then have rules officials not even let you play by rules set in place to prevent that.

US Open is on my radar for next year I think. Its something that I want to try and do and I figure while I'm young and still have some length that now is the time to give it a run.

Back