Playing Course With Houses

I got yelled at by an angry homeowner while playing Mission Hills in Palm Springs. I was shocked because my ball rolled up to his yard and didn't even cross the hazard line.
I can't help but think that some people just shouldn't live on a golf course.

I got yelled at by an angry homeowner while playing Mission Hills in Palm Springs. I was shocked because my ball rolled up to his yard and didn't even cross the hazard line.
I can't help but think that some people just shouldn't live on a golf course.[/QUOTE

Wow .. I played the same course and just pelted a window with a wild slice about 10 yrs ago .. Old lady came out and was out of control. Luckily a few bushes separated me from her , she would've ripped me apart . I kept on saying I was sorry and offered her my insurance number .. Whatever I could do . All she did was call me a mother fer. Over and over again .. Grandma was ready for blood

HAHAHA! if that happened to me I think I would have had a hard time holding in the laughter. Something about an old lady dropping the F bomb is just good humor to me.

Wow...kind of surprised how many here take the F it approach and that it's the home owners fault for purchasing and building a house on a non golf course property if there is damage caused by an act done by you.

I personally would never own a house off the course but if my ball caused damage to a home owners house I would defiantly offer to make it right. Lucky it's never happened and hope it never does.

Most courses around here it is the golfer's responsibility if they break a window. Can only think of one where that isn't the case. I've hit plenty of houses but never gotten in a yelling match with the owners. What do you expect when you buy a house right off the course.

As to the OP - just play your game. Don't worry about hitting a house, just focus on your swing. Do you get nervous with water hazards and bunkers? Just focus on what you want to do and not worry about the negatives.

The course down the street from me goes around and through a condo development (like, you actually walk down a street to get between two holes) and there's houses everywhere. I don't think about the houses, and I don't think anyone I've played there with thinks about them either. They're far enough out of the way, and the holes are set up in a certain way, so if you were to hit them, you'd have to hit a drive 90* left of where you're aiming it, or you'd need to hit 320 yard drives.

Playing Waterlefe last weekend, a guy almost hit a Sea Ray Sundancer, now that had me nervous.

I don't worry about houses, I don't think I've ever damaged a house. I know I would accept it as part of the territory if I lived on a course.

Wow...kind of surprised how many here take the F it approach and that it's the home owners fault for purchasing and building a house on a non golf course property if there is damage caused by an act done by you.

I personally would never own a house off the course but if my ball caused damage to a home owners house I would defiantly offer to make it right. Lucky it's never happened and hope it never does.

I agree if you break someones personal property it's your problem not there's. I don't go on to peoples property looking for my ball, it's out of bounds take my drop and move on. It's hard to believe the disrespectful attitudes. "They shouldn't live on a golf course". Wow, I have unfortunately broken a window. I knocked on the door and an elderly woman answered. I showed her my ball and her double pane widow that was missing a pane. I gave her my card and told her to let me know what I owed. She explained that her late husband normally took care of these thing but he had just passed. The next day I had a glass company repair the damage cost $185. I would hope anyone would have done the same. Karmas a b*tch boys!!

swing your swing

Last edited:
One golf course I played had back yards open to the course and one house had kids in the backyard jumping on a trampoline. I was worried I was going to kill a kid.

Luckily. It never happened.

Take a stack of you boss's or friends business cards to hand out if you hit a window.

But really just ignore the houses. Think about the shot you want to hit not the miss. My home course is lined with homes and that's where I have played and learned the game for the majority of my golfing life. It is pretty narrow and unforgiving of errant tee shots and has helped my game a lot.

I also work at that course and if a golfer breaks a window it's the golfer who should pay for it.

A couple courses up here are pretty well lined by houses. It is a bit annoying as a lefty who has streaks of issues with a slice. I've never taken out a window, but I have bounced the ball off a couple of houses. XD I do pretty well not letting it get in my head, it's just my swing that causes my issues. One course up here, Glen Eagle, in Arlington, was one of the narrowest I've played and completely lined by houses on both sides on most holes. It was pretty nutty.

The solution is very simple .. Take lessons so we don't hit the houses .. Problem solved , and result will be good golf

Just got back from my round not too long ago. At least at this course(Murphy Creek), there wasn't a lot to worry about with the houses, they were further from the fairways than I expected. Tomorrow will probably be a little more interesting, but will still not try and think about the houses. I'm enjoying reading all these houses on the golf course replies.

Theres quite a few courses here in Columbus that have houses on them and even have big signs that say, "GOLFERS RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO PRIVATE PROPERTY". Honestly, I dont really think about it. Ive hit a few houses but never broke any windows. I hit my driver fairly straight, so its really not a big concern to me.
IMO, you create that which you fear so if you are worrying about hitting a house and breaking a window, chances are you will. Just dont think about it and it wont happen.

my home course is lined with houses on nearly every hole. A premium is put on hitting it straight - I'm glad this is where I play most of my golf. Some of them even have installed big nets to keep golf balls out of their yards, pools, etc. I've hit a few roofs, but never done any damage. I agree that it's a risk homeowners accept when buying property on a golf course, but if I ever broke a window (or anything else) I'd definitely make it right. You have to put them out of your mind when playing but you also have to be a big boy if/when something happens.

Theres quite a few courses here in Columbus that have houses on them and even have big signs that say, "GOLFERS RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO PRIVATE PROPERTY". Honestly, I dont really think about it. Ive hit a few houses but never broke any windows. I hit my driver fairly straight, so its really not a big concern to me.
IMO, you create that which you fear so if you are worrying about hitting a house and breaking a window, chances are you will. Just dont think about it and it wont happen.

I personally think that's crap. If you choose to buy a house on a golf course you should have to pay of your window gets broken.

It's not like they're the cheapest houses in town and it's the only thing you could afford.

I personally think that's crap. If you choose to buy a house on a golf course you should have to pay of your window gets broken.

It's not like they're the cheapest houses in town and it's the only thing you could afford.

I tend to agree with this. If you throw a rock and break a window on purppose that's one thing. But this is a sport where even the best in the world sometimes flair one off the course... and most people aren't anywhere close to that good. It's on the devlopers who cram as many houses as possible on a course so they can charge extra because it's on a course.
My parents live on a course. Off the green of a par 5, but the house is far enough back that you'd almost have to aim at the house to get anywhere near it. The point is, my father checked that out and took it into consideration before building the house, and there has never been one ball in their yard. ...except the few that my uncle placed there to screw with them (that was kinda funny).

Alright guys so I normally avoid courses with houses around it, I'm just so nervous I'm gonna hit a window and don't know how mid-high handicappers play these courses all the time. I play a certain muni course a lot but only the front nine, the back nine is through a bunch of houses. Well today I can't avoid it, my uncle is in town and has been wanting to play it, so were going 18. My driver is a little erratic(normally a slice lately a hook), so on the back should I only take 3 wood and irons off the tee? Unfortunately, its not like I've never sliced those clubs... Any other advice? If thats not enough, I have another uncle that's a local pro who I'm playing with tomorrow morning, and practically every hole on his course is surrounded my houses!:hypnotized:

EDIT: I should say I don't know how mid-high handicappers feel comfortable playing these courses. How do you all feel about them?

Nah, take a few extra gloves and bomb away.... see "The apology" in the attached: http://nolayingup.com/2014/01/30/a-primer-on-how-to-act-like-a-pro-toursauce/

I've bounced the occasional shot off a roof at my home course, and put a couple into some backyards. I haven't yet heard a crash or a smash, and I surely hope I never do. If it happens, it happens. I'll pay for it, same as being at fault in a car accident, IMO.

Thanks for the replies. I'm taking all the advice, and just gonna play my round.

ns1189- Thats interesting about the Colorado case, I guess I can always yell fore lol.

I just want to see a house duck and cover when it hears somebody yelling FORE!!

My parents used to live in Sugarloaf on the 17th fairway and had several broken windows. Never once did they go chase someone down to pay for damages or anything like that, they took it as part of the price of living on a golf course. Plus, my dad probably hasn't bought a golf ball in 9 years.

Alright guys so I normally avoid courses with houses around it, I'm just so nervous I'm gonna hit a window and don't know how mid-high handicappers play these courses all the time. I play a certain muni course a lot but only the front nine, the back nine is through a bunch of houses. Well today I can't avoid it, my uncle is in town and has been wanting to play it, so were going 18. My driver is a little erratic(normally a slice lately a hook), so on the back should I only take 3 wood and irons off the tee? Unfortunately, its not like I've never sliced those clubs... Any other advice? If thats not enough, I have another uncle that's a local pro who I'm playing with tomorrow morning, and practically every hole on his course is surrounded my houses!:hypnotized:

EDIT: I should say I don't know how mid-high handicappers feel comfortable playing these courses. How do you all feel about them?

I don't enjoy the houses because I want to see more nature on the course. However, when I am playing a course with houses, I learned to go back to my basketball days at the free throw line and focus on the task at hand and tune out what is outside of that. The biggest thing is to not even think about the houses or anyone outside. Just focus on where you want the ball to go.

I tend to agree with this. If you throw a rock and break a window on purppose that's one thing. But this is a sport where even the best in the world sometimes flair one off the course... and most people aren't anywhere close to that good. It's on the devlopers who cram as many houses as possible on a course so they can charge extra because it's on a course.
My parents live on a course. Off the green of a par 5, but the house is far enough back that you'd almost have to aim at the house to get anywhere near it. The point is, my father checked that out and took it into consideration before building the house, and there has never been one ball in their yard. ...except the few that my uncle placed there to screw with them (that was kinda funny).

What if the boys playing baseball across the street throws or hits a ball through your window by accident? Would you expect them to pay (or at the very least offer to pay)? Accidents happen whether you live on a golf course or not. Hopefully the home owners have insurance that will cover it or they have the unbreakable glass on their windows so it will never happen. In a day and age where people are taking less and less responsibility for their actions or accidents, I would hope that most of us here would do the right thing.

What if the boys playing baseball across the street throws or hits a ball through your window by accident? Would you expect them to pay (or at the very least offer to pay)? Accidents happen whether you live on a golf course or not. Hopefully the home owners have insurance that will cover it or they have the unbreakable glass on their windows so it will never happen. In a day and age where people are taking less and less responsibility for their actions or accidents, I would hope that most of us here would do the right thing.

This is why I'm glad I have windows that if broken for ANY reason are replaced by the installation company for life....no charge.

Only been used once on a double pane window that's like 48x60 inches from a kid accidentally hitting it with a BB gun that lives in the house behind ours.

Homes close to a landing zone are a pet peeve of mine, whether it be poor golf course design or poor residential neighborhood layouts. I have hit siding and roofs before, but never a window or car or person, thankfully. If these types of holes pop up, I try to play as smart as possible, but yelling 'fore' has its place in the game as does that nasty term, 'deductible'.

Back