The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, taking the recent changes from my lesson from the comfort of the driving range to the golf course was a big fail. LOL. I stuck with it though. Figured I'd at least just do that, because it's not going to get better ignoring it. Contact was good, but I was hitting balls 20-40 yards (straight) right of my target on pretty much every swing until the 15th hole. Full swings that is. I really thought I was just pushing the ball, but was fortunate to have a friend with me. He took a look at my setup, and laid down a club on my foot line, which was literally pointing 40 yards right of my target. Setting up 'square' felt really really wrong. Basically like I was 40 yards to the left, but the eyes obviously lie. After that and some concentration the ball started going where I was hoping it would, which was a relief.

This week will be spending a good deal of time working on alignment. Setting up a gate to hit through, using my pre-shot routine for each range ball, etc. Basically using the gate to solidify that I'm set up right and the preshot routine to help my eyes understand/remember what they need to be looking at. Hopefully that will help, but I think this won't be a quick fix. Will probably have to stick with it for a while to get it cemented in.

Putting stroke has really been treating me well. Wedges are fine too.

Lots of work to do this week. Hoping to get 36 in one day over the weekend, if not both days.

This is a great help - to have someone who can show you exactly why you are having the problems without actually having to do anything other than show you what you are doing

Very fortunate bc I typically play solo. Who knows what stupid compensation I would have come up with on my own.

Very fortunate bc I typically play solo. Who knows what stupid compensation I would have come up with on my own.

If it was me, probably a whole new swing that ended up doing more harm than good!

Another range session yesterday for 3 days in a row. Although I've been doing a little too much analyzing on lag, I wanted to go to the range and take a lot of time hitting a medium bucket, working on lag. Pretty much focused on maintaining width in my swing, then put a mark 4 inches in front of the ball and aimed at hitting that on every shot. Contact was a lot more crisp and started seeing regular distance again. I think maintaining that width is key for me, so focusing on keeping my hands as far away from my head as possible is important.

Also worked on the short game in the backyard, setting up targets and hitting 5 balls to each, working on the straight arm chips/pitches and the Pelz swings.

Another range session yesterday for 3 days in a row. Although I've been doing a little too much analyzing on lag, I wanted to go to the range and take a lot of time hitting a medium bucket, working on lag. Pretty much focused on maintaining width in my swing, then put a mark 4 inches in front of the ball and aimed at hitting that on every shot. Contact was a lot more crisp and started seeing regular distance again. I think maintaining that width is key for me, so focusing on keeping my hands as far away from my head as possible is important.

Also worked on the short game in the backyard, setting up targets and hitting 5 balls to each, working on the straight arm chips/pitches and the Pelz swings.

Sounds like a good routine. The target in front of the ball has helped me too.

I spent 30 minutes before work on the practice green re-introducing myself to something approximating SPI. I definitely have work to do, but it was nice see progress from beginning to end of the session. I started off with lag putts, then worked on 10 footers, then 6 footers, then played the game where I work my way around the green from hole to hole with the goal of never having more than 2 putts. At each stage I tried very hard to be methodical about grip, setup, routine, posture, etc. It was a good start.

Cannot wait to get to the range tonight. After yesterday's range session I'm really looking forward to keep my tempo smooth and just hitting the center of the club face.

My wife is coming to the range with me tonight. It should be interesting. I just got her her first set since she wants to start playing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My wife is coming to the range with me tonight. It should be interesting. I just got her her first set since she wants to start playing.

Resist all temptation to coach her :)

Last edited:
Resist all temptation to give coach her :)

I know that's going to be hard. My goal is just that she has fun. She has hit with my clubs before. She says she wants to at least hit 100 yards consistently. I figure I'm either in for a good night or a long one :lol: she get mad easily.

Another range session in the books. Trying to work on an issue that I noticed this past weekend where I was missing quite a bit on the heel.

Still not completely solved but contact was getting better during the session.

Trying to see what I can do with the driver on a consistent basis from a distance perspective and this is about as good as it's going to get for me. I would call this a mid – high launch.

About to head to the range. Unless it's closed I plan on working with the driver to try and get that going then chipping and putting as always.

Backyard chipping to the sinkhole in my yard. Haha. Makes for a good target at least. Also waiting for my daughter to go to bed and going outside to work on getting my iron swing back.

2D75D3FB-B667-4319-9952-2FA2080EFCAD.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]after hitting all draws with my driver today .. First day with a draw everytime I used a driver today .. Life is good . Give me a big ole high five .. Give me some love

Spent a good hour and a half on the putting green today. Hitting everything from 3 footers to lagging up 45 footers. Working with my SPi instructor is starting to payoff. I love the process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2D75D3FB-B667-4319-9952-2FA2080EFCAD.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]after hitting all draws with my driver today .. First day with a draw everytime I used a driver today .. Life is good . Give me a big ole high five .. Give me some love

Well done!! High Five!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A so so range session today, I started off easy 80% swings, and I progressed into some overswinging. Wouldnt you know it, contact suffered greatly.

Driver was Ok, but only hit about 8 out of the bucket as I was working to correct a couple issues with irons.

I also may have found out something in my setup, I tent to play my irons what I think is a little too far forward, noticing my divots were starting behind the ball a tad bit, I moved the divot to the ball and boom!

I'd like to try it on the course, maybe tomorrow!

Well had to cut my range session way short. But I think I had an aha moment.

We'll see.

Back to the range today to get some rep's in. I haven't played much in the past couple weeks so focused on the basics; posture, grip and take away. Mixed results but was good to get out and swing none the less. Hope the weather holds off to get some more time out there this week.

Wind was blowing too much for the net so went with Orange whip and chipping practice. My wife apparently was taking pictures of me.

8yhehady.jpg

ra7uqy7u.jpg

8u2u4ene.jpg

yduzybup.jpg

After some disastrous outings, today was light years better. I ended my last session (like, 2-3 balls) just thinking about keeping my hands far away from my head, which felt like I was pushing my hands away at the beginning of my takeaway almost. But I hit great shots. So today I just started out doing that, feeling a wide takeaway, and after a few mis-hits, I was hitting some really nice shots. All I hit was a small bucket of 9i and 6i, and they both felt good. I noticed too that I need to concentrate on my right hand going back when I set my wrists, otherwise the club opens and I hit weak shots off to the right. So instead of thinking "get the club up" I think "right wrist bends back".

What really had me realizing I was going in the right direction were my divots - nice bacon strip ones on well hit shots, vs the pork chop divots I was taking the last 3-4 sessions. Sod was flying everywhere last week :bad:

Had some fun tonight with the wife on the range. Took a couple of videos and noticed a lot of things that can be tweaked in my swing. For now just gonna work on a consistent shortened swing. Mainly to save energy

Dev rickus

if you can emulate that impact position in your photos above into your full game .. You would have one of the most crucial areas in golf whipped

Worked the full swing on the home net with the ctaper shafts. Man I am digging the heavier shafts again--I think I got a little sloppy with the lighter ones. It seems they force the rotation of the torso more to still hit with the same pure feel. When get too much arm power versus rotation power on the heavy shafts--I feel it right away. Can't wait to take this to the course to see if I am getting the same distances as on the monitor. Either way it will result in more solid shots with less dispersion (my theory).

Short game practice last night for an hour after work and then I spent another half hour doing face angle drills in the net. Solid night. I am really beginning to enjoy using the MD2 wedges. Newborn pictures this afternoon so probably won't get practice tonight, but tomorrow over lunch will be a range session and then I'll be playing 54 holes this weekend. I'm excited about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back