The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a short game lesson tonight. Some good and bad. The good, my pro says I've got a really good putting stroke, and helped me focus on keeping my weight forward on chips. Bad news, he said that's about all he can teach me and the rest is just practice. I was hoping for a cure all, but sounds like I'm on the right track and just need to spend the time.

I was messing around last night with a Mizuno 6 iron I keep in my bedroom. The thought was staying connected with my upper arms to my torso. I was just doing some slow turns and got a "mental" feel for what I was trying to do.

So, I went to the range today and hit two large buckets working on that move. Turning back connected, getting into a solid position at the top, then just turning left, keeping the connection and "angle" the whole way through to contact. It worked great! I was able to do it with all my clubs, as long as I kept my tempo smooth. I'm hoping I can keep it going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a nice little session before I played 9 today, was nice being out on the course at 2:00, I can't wait until its 7:00 AM starting next week with school over.

Spent a bag on my feet together drill, 7i today, was WAY tight and off to start the day and this let me feel that move from the inside again, actually had to come back to it after my first few full swings as I was throwing the club a bit. Focus on my triangle and attacking from the inside after NOT RUSHING FROM THE TOP at the end of my turn. Hit about 7 drivers and was just spot on, same with fairway and hybo, so I promptly moved on to 100 yard shots with the rest of the 3 bags, used the AW, SW, and 58, was nice to see the 58 just want to stay in that 85 yard range as its where I really need it to be.

Cannot wait to REALLY start practicing now. So exciting to be able to get out every day now.

You've been waiting for a while! Gonna be a real good summer for you dude.

You've been waiting for a while! Gonna be a real good summer for you dude.

Yep, I sure hope it will be. No time like the present, and nothing like the MC and Grandaddy as the ultimate in motivation.

Went to the range with a buddy after work. I was hitting it pretty well considering the range we were at had little to no grass. Worked on trying to get my grip to a more neutral position and posture. My buddy, who had heard me talk a lot about the Morgan Cup and Bridgestone, bought a set of J38s CBs on the bay about a month ago 3-PW. I spent some time hitting the 3 iron and was loving it. It almost made me regret getting a combo set. Then I hit a few bad ones and remembered why the DPCs are such a good option for me in the longer irons.

I'm about to head out to the garage myself. Short session tonight. Maybe some putting stroke work too.

I'm about to head out to the garage myself. Short session tonight. Maybe some putting stroke work too.

To the Hawk cave!

You know it. A bit balmy in there tonight lol.

Thought I'd post in here, only because I seem to be chronicling my progress in this thread. Had my first league match today, because I want to get better at playing with others in a competitive setting.

Focused on tempo and hit the ball very well. No shanks, which is what I was nervous about after yesterday. But kept the shaft close to my right leg on the way down and full swing was great. It was promising and will keep practicing in a lot more of these competitions

Taps away

Nice Chris!!! Looking forward to seeing it in action at Ocean City!

Had a terrible last 2 days of golfing . Score was decent , but I'm literally bisecting the fairways with my exotic driver . I'm just wasting beautiful drives into wide open greens . Such a shame , pull hook everything or almost everything off the turf . Can't stop really , even busted my 7 iron today in disgrace and my 975 d practice driver .. Just upset and frustrated , 1 st tourney this weekend and now the wheels are falling off . I went to a made up iron swing , staying down and not releasing the club .. Worked on the range , but hate to make up swings since I worked so hard with lee motion . Something is way off , and can't put my finger on it .. But the face feels like it is flipping over big time.. And I can't stop it . An weaker grip would just be a band aid . Taking 2 days off to not think golf , and maybe forget about the pull hook .

a real good season so far, but I knew the ride wouldn't last forever. ...

Let's just say I had the best 2.5 hr practice session since my journey began! Write up to come later this evening! #pumped

Let's just say I had the best 2.5 hr practice session since my journey began! Write up to come later this evening! #pumped

Love hearing this.

I had a lesson tonight, asked him about the wrist cupping. After a few swings and some talking. My instructor said we can fix it, but it's not hurting you. Full swings is pretty solid, and we moved on to 8short wedge shots, and controlling trajectory and distance. Learned a lot from this part of my lesson. Hopefully it will come around quickly so I can stop the fake it till I make mentality. Hit the range with my 58 and commenced to peppering the 60 yard green. My instructors comment as I was packing up was.... Play the baby draw, trust it and trust your swing.

Isn't that the truth Kevin. Trust that thing. It's something worth trusting!

And done. Worked on the mirror on set up and keeping my angle in the backswing. A little more hip bend to get down into the ball. Staying connected. Used the impact ball a bit for that.

Had my first rough practice session in the last 3 months today which carried over to a scramble. Was getting the club way to upright on my backswing and just shutting the clubface down and hitting a pull with everything. I am not going to sweat it though....
Rough days make you better, knowing what you did wrong and knowing how to fix it means you understand your swing and the changes you have made.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Havent been to the range since Sunday. Work is forcing a break on me. Probably a good thing, since I've been going at it pretty hard and I'm not likely to give myself any R&R without it being forced upon me. That makes it a good time to reflect, simplify, and clear my head. Let everything I've been working on to settle in. Cant wait get back to it. Feeling fresh.

Have a lesson tomorrow at noon then going to beat a bunch of balls on the range

Spent a good 45 mins to a hour chipping and pitching around the practice green tonight. Trying to get the ball close using a variety of different shot types. It was very encouraging to see I could play it a few different ways and still get decent results utilizing all of the methods. Looking forward to finally putting it all together and start throwing some good scores out there.

Good session tonight with a focus on pitch shots from 60, 80 and 100 yds. These shots let me down last weekend so I wanted to get them dialed in again. Went thru the evens and worked on exaggerating an OTT move with a high, fade swing finish. That pretty much eliminated the left side which is a good thing. Bertha 3W was the star of the night. So long and easy to hit off the tee. Bertha driver needed a slight weight adjustment from draw 2 to neutral and that helped straighten it out.

I squeezed in some chipping and flop shots for the last 15 minutes before the lights shut off. It was decent but I should spend more time this weekend.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

So today was a good day to say none the least. It started off with my SeeMore fitting for a putter I won, that will be discussed in appropriate thread. However, during that fitting my SPi Instructor pointed something out in my putting stroke. I wasn't keeping my left palm pointed down my target line through the stroke. Hmmm light bulb goes off as to why I miss putts left.

So my wife tells me to go enjoy my practice, which I was stoked about, not to mention. So off I went to find a facility that provided me with a better short game area. Lone behold I found a place that will allow me to work on all facets of my game.

So I started off with short game and various chip shots from different lies, shots uphill and downhill. After about an hour of honing in various shot types I walked off feeling successful. Over the last few rounds I've noticed I'm leaving my delft those +8' putts, where I'd like to see myself within 6'. For the most part where I need to focus are those uphill chip shots. I feel as I decelerate on my downswing and there for either hit ground first or leave the ball short of my intended target.

Next I headed off to the range where I took about 75-100 range balls. In the back of my mind I knew I had to work on the driver at some point. As I hit 8irons I thought about where my issues with the driver surfaced, and it came about when I changed my grip. So after 30-45 balls with the 8i I pulled out the driver. Needless to say the first five shots were the dread push slice and I mean way right. So I stepped back and examined my grip, focused on tempo and proceeded to hit bull it's with a little draw to them. Ding ding. Just to say it wasn't a fluke I took a break, THP'ed and went right back to it. Problem solved!!!!

Finally I finished up on the putting green where I took what my SPi fitter said and implemented that and I liked my results. No misses left. Stroke felt more comfortable and speed was better.

Can't wait to follow this up with another practice session tomorrow and Friday with a round scheduled for Sunday!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400728195.934159.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400728195.934159.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
Hit about 75 balls tonight with the same approach I used at my last practice - feet together drill, then mostly 1/2 swings, just short rions, not too many full swings.

I was much more focused on my follow through this time, and I think I see an area of my swing I was neglecting because I hit some surprisingly penetrating shots, even without a full swing behind them. I have been really focused on by backswing/downswing over the last year, but I've kind of ignored my follow through. Not in the future. Gotta work on the whole swing to improve, I guess!

I also did some putting and chipping, and I feel pretty good about the results there. They are, of course, good "for me" results, so there is still some room for improvement. I'm just happy to see no signs of regression!

I had a pretty rough session yesterday, I couldn't get anything going and shanked about 20 wedges. I have got to get this alignment thing fixed, I just don't feel aligned standing over the ball even when I use my alignment sticks.

I had a pretty rough session yesterday, I couldn't get anything going and shanked about 20 wedges. I have got to get this alignment thing fixed, I just don't feel aligned standing over the ball even when I use my alignment sticks.

WOW! Boy can I relate to that. Just when I figure out which wedge to use, for distance, to get me on the green, everything starts going left, leaving me pin high left of the green. Consequently, I start aligning more to the right, to compensate, and my ball goes straight and I end up pin high right of the green. If I could solve this problem, I'd take 8-10 strokes off every round, getting me back to the low 80s and my 16 handicap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back