THP Tech Talk - Driver CG Location

THP TV sat down with one of the great minds in the golf industry to talk about drivers and more specifically CG. Where it is located, why is it there, and what it impacts for the golfers of all skill levels.

[video=youtube;cC-ENvQzEuw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC-ENvQzEuw[/video]

I am just absolutely throttled by this video. This is the type of the thing I could watch for hours and never get bored, because it's just fascinating.

Thank you so much THP and Cobra for going so in depth about CG and the Bio Cell driver.

I am just absolutely throttled by this video. This is the type of the thing I could watch for hours and never get bored, because it's just fascinating.

Thank you so much THP and Cobra for going so in depth about CG and the Bio Cell driver.

Agree 1000%

JB, about how long does it take to go from concept to product?

JB, about how long does it take to go from concept to product?

Completely dependent on the product, but much longer than people think. Sometimes years.

I have to wonder if Cobra is going to join the trend of sliding adjustable weights. It seems they are doing just fine without all of that.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

Hard to say but I think a small part of what I gathered from the meeting was that their existing line was built with us hacks in mind and it's matter of them getting their clubs into people's hands to try out and eventually fall in love with.

I know I'm guilty of passing over their new drivers but I won't make that mistake again.

Hard to say but I think a small part of what I gathered from the meeting was that their existing line was built with us hacks in mind and it's matter of them getting their clubs into people's hands to try out and eventually fall in love with.

I know I'm guilty of passing over their new drivers but I won't make that mistake again.

I was definitely guilty of it until I hit the AC at University Park one day.

When I went out, it was one of the things Jose said that stuck with me, that they believed if they could be one of the 3 drivers a person picks up to hit in a store then they really believed the clubs would speak for themselves and do the rest.

The cool part if this video is that his passion for what he does comes through on the video.

When I went out, it was one of the things Jose said that stuck with me, that they believed if they could be one of the 3 drivers a person picks up to hit in a store then they really believed the clubs would speak for themselves and do the rest.

Exactly. .heck the amp cell is a perfect testament to it....was in quite a few people's bags the last 2 years once they had a chance to hit it

I've only hit one Cobra club, a ZL driver of some sort. It was beautiful.

Thanks JB, I figured it would be two years or so depending on what they're doing, I can imaging something like the SLDR be quite a bit longer than that.

Really enjoyed the video. Very informative and explained where even I could understand what he was saying.

I am probably the worst golfer in the history of the world!!

I guess that is why the SLDR works so well for me being a high launch high spin player the more forward cg helps me

But it is amazing to think what a few millimeter change can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I liked the video and though it was informative. It left me with a question though...

Until recently I was playing the R1. I thought it had a low forward CG, but it seemed forgiving to me with the right shaft anyway. Is the R1 not as forgiving as other drivers or is the weight not as low and forward as taylormade represented it to be? I did have to switch to club head weights to the draw bias to help me close the face through impact.

I switched to the 910D2 recently and I would think that it's CG is farther back with the weight port being on the back/bottom of the club head. But I don't notice it being any more or less forgiving than the R1. I switched to it bc of the shaft after having a lot of success with the Ahina X in my 910F 3 wood. So I could be wrong, but I feel like having the right shaft for you is more important than the head attached to it (at least when it comes to amateur golfers).

Not sure. I didn't find the R1 forgiving for my swing, but the one I hit (my friend's) was low lofted.

The R1 was not as far forward as their current drivers.
Keep in mind as adjustable changes take place, it can alter the CG of the driver.

And I would actually go the other way in terms of shaft vs head as more important based on the fittings we have been a part of and witnessed. A shaft will not change much about the club head. It wont change the loft and spin characteristics. It wont change the facial forgiveness (both laterally and vertically).

I guess that is why the SLDR works so well for me being a high launch high spin player the more forward cg helps me

But it is amazing to think what a few millimeter change can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, club design is absolutely all about millimeters and grams, its crazy to think about what can be done with only a slight move here and there and just how difficult it is to get the CG in the "right" position.

I did have a harder time hitting the SLDR well when I bought the R1, but I assumed it was the stock shaft offerings at the time.

Yep, club design is absolutely all about millimeters and grams, its crazy to think about what can be done with only a slight move here and there and just how difficult it is to get the CG in the "right" position.

And the "right'' position is different for every player

And the "right'' position is different for every player

In terms of laterally, this is absolutely correct. Forward to back could greatly depend on whether or not that golfer has very minimized misses in relation to the balance spot.

I can't wait to watch this tonight after the kids go to bed!

TO is obviously a very very smart man, but he was able to explain this where even a hillbilly like me could understand it, that is was fun to watch

Wow! I just learned so much about cg, why players adjust the weights etc. thanks for the video!

Wanted to bring this back since it launched on the weekend.

Funny thing. When I hit the BB and BBa this weekend for the contest entry, I also hit the Bio's and the SLDR's. I found I actually liked the SLDR the best as far as feel and it is also the one that gave me the best launch angle and spin numbers. So I guess some of it depends on the person, where they make contact, face angle at contact, etc... Don't get me wrong, I could learn to love the Bio Cell Pro or the BBa. Great clubs, but the SLDR just felt "right" (no matter which shaft was put in the head... no else in the store so I got to tinker a bit).

Looking forward to doing a true "fitting" sometime this summer and see if I get similar results or a different recommendation. Also trying it out, outside where you can see the results and not limited to numbers alone.

Trigonometry. He lost me at Trig. I suppose I will never work in golf R&D without Trig.

Very informative.

Back