The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a breakthrough with my 3 wood today. I think to much before I swing on the course with it. I started not thinking and it was perfect shot after perfect shot.

Kinda blah range session. Was streaky with irons, still working on trying to stay away from the inside.
Driver was good, can still feel the lower body slide but hitting it straight for the time being.

Short game was awful, shooting balls straight right nonstop. Only when I chipped 1 handed was there any consistency.

Back to it again tomorrow

Keep grinding Deano. Remember to feel the plane, because you know what you are doing. It will take.

Keep grinding Deano. Remember to feel the plane, because you know what you are doing. It will take.

Yeah man haven't had it creep into short game yet. Tomorrow is another day, today has already been forgotten.

Really need to work on the 100 yard shot. It's typically a gap wedge but when I full swing with it I tend to come through open and miss left.

Been working on a 3/4 pw and make much better contact, just gotta master distance control as I tend to go long on these shots seeing it's my 130 club.

I am doing the same type thing right now, 100 yard shot was full 54 before, now taking a knock down 3/4 50 at that distance and liking the results.

Followed up the great range session this morning with some chipping and pitching in the backyard with my 54* for about an hour late this afternoon. One of my goals this season is to really improve on my short game, which can mostly be accomplished by learning NOT to blade balls from 20 yards in. I made sure to just focus on where I wanted the ball to land, and when I wasn't doing the quiet wrists/hands forward shot, I would focus on a spot 1" behind the ball, and just think "slide under the ball, let the club lift it up". I've re-watched Monte Scheinblum's short game video about 10 times now, and I think his tips finally started to sink in today. I only had a couple of really badly bladed shots, the rest got some decent height and landed fairly close to where I was aiming.

I've been terrible off the tee with the driver lately. Really need to get with my instructor but I hit the range after playing and was able to get to the point where I was hitting it consistently. Not exactly the ball flight or shape I want, but it was something.

Looking forward to a long range session tomorrow morning. I need to spend some quality time with Bertha and that's high on my list of priorities. Also more bunker and chipping is in order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm hitting the ball so well right now on the practice range. Hit a bag today before my round.

Wedges, 5 iron, 3 hybrid, 3 wood, driver.

Hit them all beautifully. Get on the course and it was horrible haha.

Mental thing for sure.

I had a decent session at the range today. Still working on just short irons and more 1/2 swings than full swings, with a relaxed tempo.

I also put in my first full chipping/putting practice today.

I'm finding that my best putting results are when I skip the practice stroke and just operate on instinct. Practice strokes just seem to create tension for some reason. Of course, none of it matters if you pick the wrong line, and I continue to find myself bamboozled by subtle breaks in the green. Or even obvious breaks in the green, for that matter.

Chipping went better, and a common theme with putting emerged: less rehearsing led to better results. And I finally found a chipping tempo that produces the results that I envision. I have really been too quick in the past - slowing down a bit and keeping things smooth really helped today.

Beginning later this week my game plan and focus changes. For the last few months I've been working on some pretty solid swing changes the really focus on using the core in the swing, but now the focus goes from core to tightening up the short game. My short game practice historically has been very methodical in that I'll putt one day and chip the next and keep rotating, this will be no exception. Having played True Blue and Caledonia sever times when I lived up there the game will require not only precise drives and irons but the ability to get up and down from some of the most difficult areas on a course I've encountered. The sand game needs attention as does chipping from obscure or unique places around the greens and I'm pretty excited to get going.

Short game lesson today. Need to iron some things out. I was sitting here thinking about how fun it had been taking lessons this year. Rather than just beating balls at the range and getting frustrated, I have things I know I can work on and if I have a question I know I can get an answer. Going forward I am going to be getting a 6 pack of lessons every year. It really has made golf more enjoyable for me. Having a purpose and direction.

Sand game is going to be a point of emphasis this week. I made a mess of my bunker shots yesterday and it effected my score. It's not like there is any sand in Myrtle Beach!

Love it when I have a range to myself. Spent the range session focusing on tempo and staying connected - especially with my woods. Also nice when no one is there to hear my talking aloud to myself. :)

Practice finished strong - back at it tomorrow.

8a7yseqe.jpg

Last edited:
Sand game is going to be a point of emphasis this week. I made a mess of my bunker shots yesterday and it effected my score. It's not like there is any sand in Myrtle Beach!

I've been spending more time practicing in the bunker myself lately. Taking the club away to the outside and swinging left has really helped me. I am by no means a good bunker player but I don't worry about actually getting the ball out anymore haha. As far as the bunkers in MB are concerned I'm just going to stay out of them. Easy as that right...?

Had another lesson today. Ironed out some driver struggles I have been having of late. Worked on short game as well. Putting and chipping. Changed some things. Moved the ball position a bit. Interesting to say the least.

After yesterday's abysmal performance on the course I got a couple hours on the range after work to work things out. After 2 hours... I'm no closer to finding my swing than I was when I went. My swing feels totally foreign to me and very frustrated as I have zero confidence in where the ball is going to go. I hope I can get to the range again this week before Indy... need to get back to basics and stop over thinking everything.

Finished up with an hr short game session today consisting of putting and chips. I'm really focusing on ingraining that pre-shot routine and staying focused. Putting still needs some more work as I recently changed my set up, grip, and putting stroke. After two days of intense work I am feeling more and more comfortable with speed. Lag putting is outstanding leaving myself either short putts short of the hole or manageable putts coming back.

Yesterday my 3 hr session included more short game work. I also worked the entire bag from driver to wedge. Still issues with the driver and I may seek out an additional lesson with my instructor. I am having a nasty slice creep back in. Other than that I am comfortable and confident with all other clubs minus the occasional lapse of tempo loss.

This week I intend to play a round or two down in Texas.

Finished up with an hr short game session today consisting of putting and chips. I'm really focusing on ingraining that pre-shot routine and staying focused. Putting still needs some more work as I recently changed my set up, grip, and putting stroke. After two days of intense work I am feeling more and more comfortable with speed. Lag putting is outstanding leaving myself either short putts short of the hole or manageable putts coming back.

Yesterday my 3 hr session included more short game work. I also worked the entire bag from driver to wedge. Still issues with the driver and I may seek out an additional lesson with my instructor. I am having a nasty slice creep back in. Other than that I am comfortable and confident with all other clubs minus the occasional lapse of tempo loss.

This week I intend to play a round or two down in Texas.

Dude are you ever not traveling? I'm sure it gets old but I'm envious of you

Dude are you ever not traveling? I'm sure it gets old but I'm envious of you

Always traveling...at least two weeks a month. Talk about keep consistent and staying the path for #myjourney not a flight goes by where I worry if I'll be able to find a range, hope my clubs withstand the flight, or I'll have time to practice.

#earlymornings #latenights

Want my job?

3 hours today at the range. First hour and a half spent on full swings. Then an hour on chipping and putting and finished with about 30 more minutes on wedges and driver. Really happy with my progress as May comes to an end. I really feel like I'm getting comfortable with my swing and I'm starting to hit the ball higher. I'm working on keeping my swing on one plane. By taking the club back low and a bit inside I find that I don't make as drastic of an OTT move. This allows me to deliver the club back to the ball easier and more consistent. I really got into a groove with driver as well. Obviously a poor swing will result in my big slice miss. However I was really able to keep my shots within a "fairway" on the range. On the practice green I hit roughly 100 chips off both tight and rough lies. I've noticed that it's important to study your lie in the rough as the grass around the ball can have a big effect on the outcome of the shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Always traveling...at least two weeks a month. Talk about keep consistent and staying the path for #myjourney not a flight goes by where I worry if I'll be able to find a range, hope my clubs withstand the flight, or I'll have time to practice.

#earlymornings #latenights

Want my job?

I'll take it. I need two weeks though. Thanks.

I've been spending more time practicing in the bunker myself lately. Taking the club away to the outside and swinging left has really helped me. I am by no means a good bunker player but I don't worry about actually getting the ball out anymore haha. As far as the bunkers in MB are concerned I'm just going to stay out of them. Easy as that right...?

I get so wristy, and I have really completely taken that out of my short game from around the green this year and my consistency is so much better, but it just seems that when I go to the beach, I feel like I have to change something or do something a bit different and it just turns out bad. I will be working in it this week though.

Lol at staying out of the bunkers, haha.

I had back- to-back range sessions Sunday and Monday. I worked a lot on putting after a really sub- par putting performance Saturday. Putter was good. I'll chalk up the prior round to crusty fast greens.

On Sunday, I tried to practice working the ball. I hit a draw, but I really can't hit a fade. I put an alignment rod in the ground about 10' in front of me with the goal of bending shots around it. Draw worked well, fade is still a work in progress.

Unfortunately, the drill caused me to get really handsy with my swing, which then started to get wonky. I cut the session on Sunday short to make sure I didn't develop any terrible habits. I went back to chipping/putting instead.

Monday was focused on tempo and weight transfer. I was really striking the ball well, and I was back to hitting the ball straight or with a pretty right draw. I didn't try for a fade again. I may go back to trying, but I really want to make sure my core shot is solid.

After all, straight plays pretty much anywhere.

With that said, if anyone has a drill for hitting a fade, I'm all ears.

Had a really encouraging range session today after some inconsistent play over the weekend. I started with irons, as usual and warmed up hitting about 15 total balls with my 8 and my 6 iron, all 15 were struck pretty well and I remembered a Freddie quote from just a bit ago about practice, something along the lines of, if it is working well, don't continue to waste balls on it! So I moved right to the driver, because of the inconsistency that I was seeing with it. I started off good and then got a bit squirrely, pulling drives and catching them a bit thin.

I took a step back, and remembered what happened last time this inconsistency cropped up. I was slowing down my transition and trying to "swing" instead of just trusting it and letting my body uncoil properly. After I stopped doing that and sped my tempo up a bit in the transition, it was like a light bulb went on. I felt like I was crushing the Alpha and I touched the 250 flag in the air on a few of my drives. Tomorrow during lunch, I am going to work on short game and putting, and then head to my league match Thursday night and play Friday Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back