How long to give a new club?

cpljohnst

Go Jackets! Go Sun Devils
Reaction score
Handicap
16.0 GHIN
You've got a new club in your bag but for whatever reason it isn't performing the way you had hoped it would. How many rounds do you give it before you take it out of the bag?

Immediately. Would take it to the range and try to work on whatever isn't working. But would not want to have that doubt set in during a round.

You've got a new club in your bag but for whatever reason it isn't performing the way you had hoped it would. How many rounds do you give it before you take it out of the bag?
I gave the SLDR driver about 5 rounds, it just did not measure up to the X Hot I was playing at the time. I know you want to like the club Barry but sometimes it is just not meant to be.

For me, its 3. One to get an opinion, the second round to try to change that opinion, and the third to confirm it all.

Give it about 15 - 20 rounds before writing it off as a lost cause.

I try to get fit as best as possible and to be diligent with what I buy. If the club doesn't fit, I did something wrong.

Rounds, I give it probably 5-10, but that isn't the deciding factor. When I can't even get it to respond at the range after 4 or 5 sessions, then it's gone.

Usually a season. I don't like to spend hundreds of dollars on new clubs (well, I like to but my wife doesn't). These days, though, at least with drivers, if it's not working, it's more likely the Indian rather than the arrow. That means I can research different shafts to see if I get better results, which gives me something to do when it's raining!

Unless it's a putter...I find putters break all the time and need to be replaced regularly.

About a half dozen for me, anything longer than that I am wasting valuable time.

Immediately. Would take it to the range and try to work on whatever isn't working. But would not want to have that doubt set in during a round.

I'm quick on the trigger as well. Not so much from a "doubt creeping in" standpoint, but more from an "I know what works and won't" point of view. You can test and get fit, etc... but sometimes the end product just isn't something that "fits" you or your swing or your eye, no matter the upfront work you put in. And the quicker you pull the trigger, the quicker you can replace it with something else.

Unless it's a putter...I find putters break all the time and need to be replaced regularly.

I have found several of these to be less sturdy as well. As I've mellowed, I've learned to be more sensitive to their delicate needs.

I throw it right in the bag as long as i can get some time at the range before the round i am good

It depends for me. If I know I have put my best swings on it and am seeing really poor results, I will cut my losses pretty quick. Usually that means that it is a poor fitting shaft for me. If I am not playing particularly well, I will try to give it a bit longer.

In the days before adjustable drivers (and the ease of shaft swapping), I've been known to play one round and move on. Quickest I've given up on irons is probably 2-3 rounds.

Depends. Bad enough and it's shunned immediately. Maybe after a range session even. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I may know to what you are referring Barry...

I give it 1-2 months, because sometimes there is an adjustment period (this is for clubs I have liked enough to buy, mind you). If it's really not working out, I then go back to what I was playing before and see if I see improvement (doing this now with my old Mashie F3/M2). If I do, I keep them in there a few more rounds, and if it keeps up I put the nail in the coffin and try to offload the offending club. I don't want to do the revolving door thing...enough variables in my game haha. Gotta find what works then stick to it.

Depends. Was it something you were fit into and you're seeing different results, or something you picked up on a whim or were given and its just not working? If its something you previously hit well, it could very well be a swing issue. If it was something you fell into and its just not working knowing you're hitting everything else well, it probably just isn't right for you and no amount of acclimating yourself is going to help.

It depends on the degree of bad it is. If it's really terrible, then it comes out and I might tool with it at the range every now and then to see if things change. If it shows promise, then I may give it a lot longer, then shelve it for a little bit before bringing it back and seeing how things are.

I am probably guilty of giving up too quickly. I would say I give it two rounds then I move on. Like someone said before, if doubt has crept in, it usually never goes away for me. Sometimes I pick it up and rip it and sometimes it just doesn't work. Too many options out there to mess with something that isn't quite feeling right.

Depends on what im seeing out of it. If its not working from the start ill give it about 6 rounds

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I can't really afford to buy a club and only use it two rounds or so haha I have to thoroughly research everything and test before I buy. Eventually I may swap it out but I can't impulse buy and afford to get rid of it like others can. I've been using a driver that doesn't feel quite right for a long time Lol

Max 3-5 casual/practice rounds usually. If I throw it in and it stinks immediately, I'll usually give it a range session or two to work out. Never work out new gear in league, tournaments, etc...

FWIW, I've had clubs that were great in practice and never delivered for me on the course. Adams DHy comes to mind.

The last two clubs I've added (i20 SW & LW) didn't have any practice time. Just took 'em to the course cold. Worked out well. :D Some of the best clubs I've bought have been cold buys based on reviews. All the Bridgestone stuff I've tried comes to mind.

I must have hit the new club well at the store's range or I wouldn't have bought it to begin with. So if the club isn't performing after that then it's really me that isn't performing and it's not the club's fault. The club stays in the bag and I work on my swing. I hate it when archers blame their arrows.

About a half dozen for me, anything longer than that I am wasting valuable time.

The way I club ho, it's sometimes been the next day. Now I'm getting a little bit wiser about getting new clubs. I gave the regular X2 Hot 3w about 6 rounds before I switch to the 3Deep.

Until I am sure it is the club and not just me. I don't like to lose money on a new club that has barely been played so I will give it due course. Of course, if I feel I hit it well and I still don't like the results, I may pull the plug a bit quicker.

I actually have had this problem only once. A 52° odyssey wedge that just didn't work for me. Took me about 5-6 rounds and ~10 range sessions to decide it wasn't my club.

Other then that I'm fortunate to never have had this problem :)

Funny I'm going through this now as I sniped a Covert 2.0 Driver for dirt cheap off the bay, heck I bid expecting not to win then when I did I had to give it a shot and after five 18 hole rounds I took it out as I was pushing everything right and some big slices also, so last night I went to range to work on what the heck was wrong and I made progress and I'm heading back tonight to see if Covert will remain with me or be sold or traded in.

Back