The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the range for about an hour before the afternoon thunderstorms rolled in. Unfortunately the greens were aerated and sanded so I didn't bother putting and frustrating myself.

Touch around the green was mostly solid from various lies. Couple poor results when trying to get too cute with shots that I haven't used or practiced in a while. They were too high risk shots, but still probably something I should practice a little more often.

Putting practice tonight with more work on inside to down the line path. Over the last two rounds I caught myself cutting across a few times and I'm starting to feel and notice the difference. Hoping this path sinks in and becomes automatic soon.

Had a really solid lesson today.

Worked with the 7i and driver.

With 7i, it was about a shortened backswing that really is just taking club back to parallel with ground then cocking wrist and firing through. Feels like a 50% swing max but looks like a swing that's not too long.

Driver I am very very flat on so goal was getting head pointing right of target at top of swing. Feels extremely weird but results don't lie.

Really looking forward to my next range session and ingraining via repetition. Good thing is they are simple swing thoughts and misses are not nearly as bad as with my "normal" swing.

Woot cookie. Love to hear that dude.

I spent just shy of two hours at the range today with a short interlude in the middle. Got sort of tired out for some reason. Maybe the heat but I was a little wobbly for awhile. Rest day tomorrow.

I feel ya Hawk. It was hot and I was wearing black and after around 70 balls in an hour I was ready to get out of that crap. LOL

Gotta prep the body for July though. :)

I know it dude. I was glad to see my held up to a bunch of golf last weekend. No repeats of 2012. Plan to be fresh on Sunday.

With 7i, it was about a shortened backswing that really is just taking club back to parallel with ground then cocking wrist and firing through. Feels like a 50% swing max but looks like a swing that's not too long.

Michael- My instructor is working me hard on this too. When I get too long, my swing wanders. Misses are tons more manageable and much less off line. I struggle with taking it to the course though. #StillWannaKillIt!

JM

I'm with you boys. Easier with irons.

Michael- My instructor is working me hard on this too. When I get too long, my swing wanders. Misses are tons more manageable and much less off line. I struggle with taking it to the course though. #StillWannaKillIt!

JM

I know dude. My long swing gets stupid flat and it's then about my arms wondering around my body to make up ground....if timings on I can play well. If off, I have a 2 way miss - especially with driver.

Gonna take work but I loved seeing my misses still be well playable if it was on course.

Just seems like everyone is so big on driver and mid irons on range . Just hit a bucket of 80 yard wedges . Keep that temp and feel for the rest of your clubs .

Just seems like everyone is so big on driver and mid irons on range . Just hit a bucket of 80 yard wedges . Keep that temp and feel for the rest of your clubs .

Exactly what I've been working on. I agree though,. The urge to swing long and hard is just tough to get past. Always creeps back.

I've been working on my new tweak and I'm really liming what I am seeing. Basically I just try to feel like I'm pausing at the top for a split second longer than normal and this seems to eliminate the hooks for me. It introduces a bit of a push-miss but after hooking for the last year a slight push is a heaven-send.

Just working on grooving this little addition so that I don't forget to do it under pressure.

I've been working on my new tweak and I'm really liming what I am seeing. Basically I just try to feel like I'm pausing at the top for a split second longer than normal and this seems to eliminate the hooks for me. It introduces a bit of a push-miss but after hooking for the last year a slight push is a heaven-send.

Just working on grooving this little addition so that I don't forget to do it under pressure.

Same here brother, after fighting a hook for years I welcome a little fade

I think I may have found my own little hook cure in my last range session, but will see for sure tomorrow. Basically I just stand a hair closer to the ball and take the ball a hair forward in my stance, and take a nice smooth swing - this was yielding me a straight shot to a slight fade on most shots. I can still pull the ball a bit, but it seems like it really limits the hooking flight. I lose a little distance, but that is worth it when I need to take the left side out of play.

Saw some pretty big improvements with the driver/fairway wood tee ball work I did this week. Hoping it pays off this weekend, but we shall see. Going to make this a regular part of the routine for a bit longer to make sure I'm comfortable there. Typically don't hit either club more than a couple times (if at all) on the range, which is likely why I was struggling a bit there.

a2eqanuj.jpg

Little range work before hitting the practice green...

Local range just expanded their hours, so I can swing by on my way into work. I used the "new" ball position I worked on yesterday, and it went great. Crisp irons, line drive-like flight with hybrids. Hopefully this will carry to the course this weekend.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Had a good 2 Hr practice session this AM here in Myrtle Beach. Worked primarily on different trajectories as well as a lot of wedges.

I also received a tutorial on Bermuda greens from an assistant at the course I was practicing at and worked on that for awhile. I amazed at how much easier the greens are to read once you understand the dynamics of the grain. Really thankful for that bit of information today

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Went to the range for 2 hours last night with Nerfny. Spent about 80% of the first hour working on the driver. Wasn't thrilled with where the ropes were set up and how crowded it was so I was left down at the constantly giving myself a downhill lie with the ball below my feet(not ideal). Towards the end of the bucket I thought I had some things figured out. The driver and I just aren't meshing right now and the SLDR S might get put to the bench temporarily as I have 2 tournaments coming up the week of the 9th.

The 2nd hour of the session was at the short game area. I worked on some high and low shots with the TP wedges. For the last 30 minutes of it Nerfny and I made it in to a game which made practice a little more fun. We would pick a hitting location and then a flag and each hit 3 balls to it. However was closer won the point. I tried to approach it by hitting multiple types of shots(high/low) to those targets. I also tested out the Project(a) ball and the Tour Preferred ball during this part, just to see if I could notice any difference. If the rain holds off tonight the TP ball will be in play and will probably be a mix on Sunday AM's round prior to placing my MC order.

Went to the range last night, forgot glasses, need them more than I thought. Going back today and hopefully get in a 9.

Went to the range today and it wasn't good at all. Hit 3 buckets, mostly with a wedge and 7 iron. The only shots I could hit were left of the target. I figured out that my takeaway was too far to the inside, but trying to fix that and trying to connect my arms better with my body was an exercise in futility today. I even tried to take some driver swings to see what would happen, and they were awful. Even on the good shots I had with the 7 iron, it just felt like the ball went pretty high in the air but didn't go anywhere, I just didn't feel like the compression was there at all. I'm a bit puzzled on where to go from here, hopefully I can get back to the range on Sunday or Monday and just try to exaggerate a steeper takeaway so that I'm not on the inside all the time.

Range session today to work on changes from yesterday's lesson. Pretty pleased. Irons were decent and I've eliminated the miss left with driver. Solid drives are hammered (3 MPH more SS and 10 yards more carry) but coming from the inside too much and I see a push block that can present issues on course.

Excited for Sundays round and managing my way around the course.

Range session this afternoon to keep trying out my bag tweaks and my little swing tweak to try and limit the hooks. Hoping for some more encouraging results.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Had a good 2 Hr practice session this AM here in Myrtle Beach. Worked primarily on different trajectories as well as a lot of wedges.

I also received a tutorial on Bermuda greens from an assistant at the course I was practicing at and worked on that for awhile. I amazed at how much easier the greens are to read once you understand the dynamics of the grain. Really thankful for that bit of information today

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

You will be asked to give a presentation on this at our team meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back