Status
Not open for further replies.
Just caught up in theis thread on the laptop. SO sorry to hear of your loss, cookie.

My heart hurts right now. My daughter's dog Dixie in the picture below is going to have to be put down. She has had this dog since 1st grade and just graduated from H.S. last month. Dixie is one of the smartest dogs I have ever seen and in her prime, could catch a Frisbee no matter how far you threw it. She has had Cushings disease for almost 3 years now. The Chemo drugs alone are about $400 every 8 weeks, but she is about to go into kidney failure and her quality of life is deteriorating quickly. Bless her heart, Dixie shakes like a leaf when its time to go to the vet for her check-ups, and our doc has graciously agreed to come to the house so her last moments are not being scared. We will be talking to our daughter tonight after she gets home from work. I AM SO SAD............ Really, really, really love this dog.

JM

Very very sad JM, my thoughts are with you guys.

JM so sorry to hear about Dixie. Thoughts with your family.

Thanks,

I want to make something clear. We are animal people. I had made mention of the chemo drugs and then a phone call came in and I sort of lost my train of thought. We lovingly and gladly would continue to pay for whatever would be needed to help keep her alive as long as her quality of life is maintained. We believe with every fiber of our being that when one takes on the responsibility of owning a pet, that the animal is now your responsibility for the entirety of their life. She has become a member of our family and we lover her and will miss her dearly, but would never want to prolong her life for selfish emotional reasons. I just didn't want anyone to think I was griping about money..........

Hell, maybe it wasn't a confusing statement afterall....

JM

Sorry JM, always such a tough thing to go through.

JM I didn't take it as it was about money but her quality of life isn't what it should be. You are making sure she isn't in pain.

JM I didn't take it as it was about money but her quality of life isn't what it should be. You are making sure she isn't in pain.

O.K. thanks, I went back and read it and thought I sounded like a greedy fool.......

JM

JM - so sorry to hear about Dixie. My thoughts are with you and your family as you are going through this tough time.

Johnny, I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. Had to go through a similar thing with my brother's dog a few months ago and it was one of the toughest things I've been through. Focus on the great memories and be thankful for the time you got, and know that she was loved while you had her. Prayers coming your way JM.

JM - I am really sorry, I know how much we can get attached to our dogs...

Thoughts are definitely with you today Johnny.

So sorry to hear Johnny!! Its never an easy thing to do and something every pet owner hates to do. Few months ago we had to put down my sisters cat who was 19! My sister got her in the 3rd grade so like your daughter she's had a friend for a long time. Like you mentioned tho there comes a time where the quality of life for our loved animals (for most they are family) isn't good anymore and it's comforting in a way to know they won't be suffering. Thoughts are with you guys

jm, our thoughts are with you and your family

Thanks,

I want to make something clear. We are animal people. I had made mention of the chemo drugs and then a phone call came in and I sort of lost my train of thought. We lovingly and gladly would continue to pay for whatever would be needed to help keep her alive as long as her quality of life is maintained. We believe with every fiber of our being that when one takes on the responsibility of owning a pet, that the animal is now your responsibility for the entirety of their life. She has become a member of our family and we lover her and will miss her dearly, but would never want to prolong her life for selfish emotional reasons. I just didn't want anyone to think I was griping about money..........

Hell, maybe it wasn't a confusing statement afterall....

JM

I know that my wife and I understand this completely.

Had to have a 3 horses and a dog put down in the last 5 years . Not easy at all , very hard . Takes a lot of healing

JM, I have been there (last year) and it's so painful to say goodbye. Dogs give a special kind of friendship and love that is hard to explain to others. The pain you are going through right now is a small price to pay for the lifetime of love your dog gave to you. It takes true love to be with them until the end. You sound like an amazing pal to your daughter's dog.

Pet Picture Thread

Pet Picture Thread

You are doing the right thing. Sounds like you & your family gave that dog a wonderful life. She deserves to be in peace & that's hard as pet owners bc we get selfish & don't want to let go. Stay strong bc I have a feeling your daughter will need you when you break the news.

Last edited:
My heart hurts right now. My daughter's dog Dixie in the picture below is going to have to be put down. She has had this dog since 1st grade and just graduated from H.S. last month. Dixie is one of the smartest dogs I have ever seen and in her prime, could catch a Frisbee no matter how far you threw it. She has had Cushings disease for almost 3 years now. The Chemo drugs alone are about $400 every 8 weeks, but she is about to go into kidney failure and her quality of life is deteriorating quickly. Bless her heart, Dixie shakes like a leaf when its time to go to the vet for her check-ups, and our doc has graciously agreed to come to the house so her last moments are not being scared. We will be talking to our daughter tonight after she gets home from work. I AM SO SAD............ Really, really, really love this dog.

JM

Hate to read this buddy. You might ask the vet to grab a shower or at least change clothes before he comes over to maybe mask the "medicine smell". Just a little something to make her comfortable.

Pet Picture Thread

Pet Picture Thread

Sorry to hear JM. 2 years ago I had to put down Roscoe. I got him as a puppy and he was 13 when I had to put him down. He is my best friend ever! Every time I mow my grass and I get by where he is buried. I tell him "I miss you old man". Bringing a tear to my eye as I type this. Losing a pet IS losing family!

Dogs bless a part of our life while we bless all of their life!

I miss you Roscoe P. Coltrane...

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Johnny, My thoughts are with you and your family my friend.

So sorry to hear Jm.... Pets are family members and they are the one animal that loves you more than they love themselves.

Tap tap taparoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back