After Bad Rounds...

TTime

Reaction score
So this morning I played a pretty terrible round to say the least. I don't know if it would have been so terrible if I hadn't been feeling so good at the range, and had a lesson a couple weeks ago. I stopped keeping score my last few rounds just so I can focus on my game, but today I had a few pars, a few decent drives, pretty good putting, but everything else was just a struggle(approaches, chips, 2nd and 3rd shots, etc). Literally every round I start off feeling good the first 3 holes, and then just downhill, with glimpses of good shots here and there. Couldn't even tell you how many balls I've lost the last couple weeks.

If you have a bad round and/or your game has been in a rut whats the next step for you? I want to just hit the range for awhile, but seems like success at the range isn't transferring as much as I'd like it to on the course. In the end all I want is a consistent swing...

Play 18 holes four straight days in a row. Don't keep score and just step up and hit the ball. 400+ swings in four days not on the range should help.

I have the same thing ... fortunately I have a good relationship with an instructor ... so I usually go see him, otherwise I am guessing and trying every fix in the world, which in the past then leads to a bad habit ...

Last time it was a simple I was creeping back on my right foot, shift a little weight back toward the front helped a lot and allow me to turn the club over a bit better ...

Sometimes it a matter of accepting a bad shot, and not go into correction mode on the course.

Sometimes my golf buds are able to say do you know you doing xyz ...

Wish I had a magic answer, but someone else seeing me helps ...

I am struggling a bit with the same thing right now. Making some swing changes that look great at the range but don't transfer to the course. Best advice I can give is to figure out what this issue is and seek lessons if needed. I had an issue I couldn't figure out and got a lesson which helped me focus on the problem. Now I am making the change and when I miss I know why. This allows me to make the adjustments and then today I had a stretch where I played some good golf which for me is the best way to get out of a funk.

Two things worked for me: I went to a par 3 course and got my confidence back. The local one to me mainly uses my pitching wedge and I am great with that club. The other thing I did was not play for a couple weeks, for you maybe a couple of days.

Whatever my normal golf playing routine was I deviated from it and didnt think about golf at all. Usually when I play a bad round it's because I have too many thoughts in my head.

I just had one of these . I saw my instructor last week and got my irons in order. Today I was a mess. Shanks, flubbed chips, 3 putts, you name it. Luckily on the last hole I stuck a 7 iron close to give me some mental positivity. I will now have to regroup and hit the range before heading back out. The last 3 holes I did just walk up and hit with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I let it go and keep getting after it. You have to take the good with bad. If you feel you're in a rut then take a break for a week or so and reset.

Next step for me: shake it off and get back out there

I hope this helps...

Any time I struggled on the course the way you descibe, I found that my tempo was off, usually on the quick side. The best way I found to recover and restore good tempo was to hit bunker shots. If your course has a practice bunker, after the next round like that get in that bunker and hit 30-40 greenside type bunker shots, and do it again as a warm-up for your next round. Proper bunker technique is a marvelous tempo aid.

I hope this helps...

Any time I struggled on the course the way you descibe, I found that my tempo was off, usually on the quick side. The best way I found to recover and restore good tempo was to hit bunker shots. If your course has a practice bunker, after the next round like that get in that bunker and hit 30-40 greenside type bunker shots, and do it again as a warm-up for your next round. Proper bunker technique is a marvelous tempo aid.

You know what my tempo has been a lot quicker lately. A month or so ago I specifically tried to slow it down, but haven't thought about it lately. I will practice the bunker shots, and also consciously try to slow everything down.

One benefit of getting older is having a short memory - which is totally necessary in golf! Its not easy, but simply playing the shot at hand usually gets me back on the right track. If I dwell on the fact that my round has been "ruined" by 2-3 double bogeys, my enthusiasm will take a hit, and so will my golf game, as will my enjoyment for the day.

I don't get too overly upset, I'll try to figure out what I was doing wrong a day or so later and go work on that particular thing at the range or on the course. Most of my problems come from stress or tension.

I had that same frustrating round with the inconsistent swing earlier today. I am trying to learn from the experience. I am thinking the lesson is that I'm not good enough to not have at least a short range session to see what swing I have that day before going out on the course. Maybe there's a lesson in this for you about how you prepare to start the round???

I usually panic and give the " end of the world routine " . I'm a jerk at home , and act like an ass at work .. I act like a big baby . That is what I do , am I proud of if ? No
Actually embarrassed by it

Best thing I do is take a few days off of no thinking about golf . Than I hope upon all the stars I come back reinvigorated .. If not , than I hit a million balls and play swing doctor ( which I haven't done yet this year .. Fingers crossed )

Hit the range hard for the net week and get out as soon as possible

Don't listen to them. Play again....

The same thing I do after a good round; enjoy a cold one knowing a bad day on the course is better than being at work. Make a tee time for the next day I'm available.

Golf is day to day for even the world class players. They win a major and make a million one week and miss the cut the next. Just let it go. They always say every day is a new day for dog. That is the way I live my life. Things don't go my way every day, in golf, work or just life in general, but tomorrow is another day. I can shoot 76 one day and 96 the next. No big deal.

For me though when things really go wrong on the course, I go straight to my PGA Pro. Takes very few swings for him to see what is happening and what needs to be done. I never go it alone.

So this morning I played a pretty terrible round to say the least. I don't know if it would have been so terrible if I hadn't been feeling so good at the range, and had a lesson a couple weeks ago. I stopped keeping score my last few rounds just so I can focus on my game, but today I had a few pars, a few decent drives, pretty good putting, but everything else was just a struggle(approaches, chips, 2nd and 3rd shots, etc). Literally every round I start off feeling good the first 3 holes, and then just downhill, with glimpses of good shots here and there. Couldn't even tell you how many balls I've lost the last couple weeks.

If you have a bad round and/or your game has been in a rut whats the next step for you? I want to just hit the range for awhile, but seems like success at the range isn't transferring as much as I'd like it to on the course. In the end all I want is a consistent swing...

Don't be too hard on yourself. We all have bad rounds.

I will try to let it go, but if I feel like I am starting to lose my swing, I will schedule a lesson with my instructor and try to work on fundamentals. Someone else mentioned tempo and I think establishing good tempo is good place to start. I will go to the range and take a short swing and focus on hitting down on the ball and my follow through. That usually helps to get me feeling more comfortable with my swing.

I like to get back to the clubhouse take a 5-10 minute break, re-hydrate, get a small bag of balls and try to work it out. It's mostly about building some confidence for the next round/day. I leave telling myself, "Ok, now I know I can hit this darn ball" lol.

As for what I like to do during a bad round...take every victory you can. If I miss a green but hit it pin high, I take the victory. If I hit a great pitch/chip shot or shaped a great hook out of the trees, I take the victory....even if i hit the next shot off the toe or shank it :beat-up:. Leave with your victories and grow from there.

You don't feed your family with your golf scores, do you? Enjoy being able to play golf.

What are you drinking. Next round is on me.

Remember the basics, stay out of your way on your swing (ie: clear your mind), and dont try so hard. It will come.

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

I don't ever go to the range after a bad round because I feel like some bad habit might ingrain itself into my swing. I analyze my round to see where it went bad and then I always find the positive things that I can take from the round.

Back