The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked the irons and driver a lot today with new shafts I put in them. Also got some time in with video review and swing work.

Was able to get to the range Sun-Wed and last night. I've been working mainly on 125 to 25 yard shots and flighting the ball up and down. Spent about 10% of the time on the full swing with 7 iron and 4 iron. Making great contact when i remember to turn. Playing this afternoon for the first time in while, so we shall see if I can put it all together. So I have high hopes with the results I've seen on the range, but somewhat low expectations based on not having been able to actually get out on the course in a few weeks. Have to work more on that latter issue in the next few months.

Had a good 2 Hr practice session this AM here in Myrtle Beach. Worked primarily on different trajectories as well as a lot of wedges.

I also received a tutorial on Bermuda greens from an assistant at the course I was practicing at and worked on that for awhile. I amazed at how much easier the greens are to read once you understand the dynamics of the grain. Really thankful for that bit of information today

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I learned a little bit about Bermuda myself the other day. It really is eye opening when you figure some things out. I tried to post about it here but I couldn't put it into words that were not confusing.

And it's about to begin...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401545807.224367.jpg

I hit my irons much more consistent today. Driver and 3h were pretty good too. I still can not hit my wedges well at all and its becoming a major concern though.

Spent about 2 hours on the range/short game area before the afternoon thunderstorms chased me away. Greens still healing from aeration so I didn't bother putting. Frustrating practice session. My club distances rarely fluctuate all that much once I figure them out. My 7i the past 3 sets of irons has been a 160 club time and time again. Why the hell is it now going 170 with a floating range ball? That likely means it's going 175 with a normal ball. Either it needs to stop, or I need to relearn distances.

Short game.. The previous hit, check, release is now hitting, checking, stopping. That may sound like a fun shot (and it is when you want to play it) it's not that fun when you don't. I'm not sure whether to blame the new grooves or if my technique has quietly changed and now I'm getting more leverage on the ball and imparting more spin on it.

Good lesson today focusing on putting and swing path for the first hour then a 9 hole playing lesson.

We started off hitting 6 ft putts with my inside down the line training aid. First thing we addressed was staying down thru impact as I was raising my upper body and adding loft to the putter. We also implemented a slight forward shaft lean and a pendulum-like stroke with soft hands. My takeaway was fine but the follow thru was 2x longer. Tough to be consistent that way.

Off the practice green to the range where we focused on swing path particularly on the downswing. My right to left ball flight (I call it a draw lol) caused by an inside-out downswing is what we're trying to eliminate. An exaggerated OTT swing helped produce a straight ball flight with a slight fade at times. I need to get back to doing the bucket drill again.

9 hole playing lesson where if I win I get a free lesson and if I lose I come back in 3 weeks (pffftt...I got smoked). I really enjoy these because I have to talk thru every shot and he may like it or give me better advice. We focused on picking a target off the tee instead trying to hit the middle of the fairway. That worked out well. Same goes for putting and reading greens as I was corrected a few times.

Best part of today is my 4 yr old son came with me for the first time. He hit next to me on the range, got a few tips and hit putts with us out on the course. He actually sank a 6 footer on the last hole and doesn't stop telling Mom and sister how awesome it was riding in the cart. Looks like I found a new practice partner!

After my dismal putting display today I hit the practice green at a local course. Working primarily on distance control as that was my struggle today. Also switched from an overlap to reverse overlap grip and a light came on. Pace was tons better and even made some really long putts. See if it carries to the course tomorrow.

Had a good lesson today. Worked on my takeaway and turn, no bowing wrist to get in a good position to not flip at impact. Going to play in the morning so hopefully can carry it over

Today I worked on my short game at the little practice green at my home course. I practiced nice 50-75 yard shots to the green really working the SW and LW. I've got a better handle on distance control.

After a good hour working the short shots I spent a half hour on putting with my new putter. I've always been pretty good at lag putts so I just worked on controlling my speed and tempo. Overall a good session can't wait to play later this week.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

After a solid weekend of actually playing, I'm really looking forward to getting back to the range a bit this week to fine tune some short game stuff. Definitely need to put some work in there to bring it all together.

Lesson tomorrow. Going to ask that we specifically work on clubs from 5 iron to driver, since those are the ones I'm more susceptible to moving left. Seems like I figured out and corrected some setup issues for that on my own over the weekend, but he's the smart one and I'm the monkey, so I'll go with what he says.

Likely garage time tonight and Wednesday. Range on Thursday.

I was heading to the course to get in a round, but the threat of rain turned it into a range session instead. I put in some much needed work with my irons, as my ball striking was pretty poor in Indy this weekend.

Had a lesson today, have been practicing like crazy and seeing volatile results. I'm going through periods of hitting it great, then terrible. The lesson was ok, but he keeps going over the same thing. It was helpful though. I keep reverting back to a flat laid off terrible back swing; it looked like when I first started taking lessons.

My teacher told me about this app called V1 Golf, which basically lets you watch all types of pros' swings and then compare then to your swing, draw lines, circles, etc. it's actually right up my alley.

I've also started raising my arms up too high, so my left one is up against my chin at the top of my backswing. I have to get rid of it because it's no bueno.

The good news is I'm able to hit it straight, but there's no power behind it. The bad news is I feel my swing is in a lull now and it's discouraging, after so much fn work this winter. Everything feels disconnected and if golf were a person I'd punch him in the face. I don't know whether to take a break or ramp up lessons or something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garage session. Same old same old. Looking forward to my lesson.

Grabbed a large bucket tonight, swung pretty well. focusing on contact and takeaway not so much distance.
I was pretty pleased with the results.
Again 80% swings a little pause on the top, and good things happen!

Tomorrow I shall find a short game area!

Hit a couple of buckets of balls tonight and gave a lesson. While the lesson hindered me from working on my own game, I actually helps me because I can identify with what I am working on and learn more as I try to teach someone else about it.

Stretch, gym and putting tonight. Working on a slight forward lean with the putter. Much better roll and I don't see myself leaving too many short putts. Back out to the range tomorrow night!

Focused more on longer sticks this session, with mixed results. Slightly disappointing, but not unexpected. I did manage to establish some consistency with the driver. Consistently 20 yards left of target, that is. So I should just aim 20 yards to the right then!

Problem solved!!!

No way, I've fallen for that one before...

Rain in the forecast today and tomorrow. So I am heading back to the basement to do some face angle and net drills. Also going to work on quarter swings with the 56, just little pitch/chip motion. I lost the chipping for about 4 holes at the end of my round Sunday and it cost me a pretty nice score. League Thursday, Playing with my pops on Friday.

Range session today after work. 3 things to work on:

- shortened swing
- turning chest through swing (not allowing arms to swing on their own)
- dial in the 3h off tee, it's going to be a critical club for me in the MC

That will be followed by short game work.

Hitting up the range seeing how my morning just fell apart...

utu9a5eb.jpg

8u3y3uze.jpg

a2uvubev.jpg

u3a3u8u2.jpg

Hit the range with the girly last night. She was hitting the ball exceptionally well. I hit the ball very well too. Full swings and half swings with the wedges were on point. I need a lot of work with the short game tho. I'm not finding a technique I'm comfortable with and it's effecting me greatly!

Went to the range last night, lesson I took three weeks ago starting to settle in. Have to work on a one piece takeaway. When I swing with arms and don't turn all sorts of bad things happen. I did this last night and hit it pretty good. Also chipped for about an hour, this also went well. Hopefully, it will translate into decent scoring this weekend.

Went to the range last night, lesson I took three weeks ago starting to settle in. Have to work on a one piece takeaway. When I swing with arms and don't turn all sorts of bad things happen. I did this last night and hit it pretty good. Also chipped for about an hour, this also went well. Hopefully, it will translate into decent scoring this weekend.

Good luck out there ws.

Sort of feeling the same with setup changes I put in play three weeks ago. Appears they are becoming natural now and the adjustments I was making conciously are actually just furthering (overdoing) things that I'm now doing subconsciously. That's not abnormal though. Will find out today at my lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back