Is spending cash on a putter worth it?

Ajelias

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a cheap PowerBilt putter I picked up for $20 on sale a couple months ago. Is it worth it to invest in a more expensive/technologically advanced putter? Part of me thinks it's a mental thing. If you can master the putter you have, you should be able to putt well. Wanted to get some opinions, thanks.

You can find great putters for a value, here and other places. It comes down to the player though and like other golf equipment, properly fit, can't hurt you.

Lots of discussions on this and you will hear a lot of opinion.

The truth is, it is worth it if it makes sense for you. It is absolutely a mental thing. For some people, spending more on a club gives them a sense of confidence.

Putters are so personal that there is no right or wrong. If you find one that gives you confidence and that works for you, whether it cost you $20 or $200 is irrelevant.

A SeeMore yes!

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

If you're putting well with what you have, then I don't see a need. If you like to have many options and a variety of options to fit whatever fancies you that day, then you may need to spend some money on putters.

I am the latter.

I have played with putters that range from 20 bucks - $1000 + truth is price has no bearing on if you will make more putts or not .

What does is that the putter fits you. You can find different putters that fit you in various price ranges and only you can decide how much you want to spend on a putter. As long as you are happy with the fit,finish,look, feel etc. that is all that matters. As with all equipment it doesn't matter what the name is on the bottom of the club or the $$$ it costs as long as you like it and it works for you.

It depends on what you mean by worth it I suppose. May or may not make more putts. Might find something you enjoy from a sensory level more though.

Honestly, you need a putter that fits your putting stroke. I personally wouldn't try making my putting stroke fit a certain putter.

Buying a new putter won't automatically make you start making more putts. However, if you get fitted for your putter, it can help you make sure you are lining up correctly and that the putter fits your stroke.

Like most others here, the putter you putt best with is the one that makes the most sense monetary-wise. My gamer, which I love, only cost me $40 (originally sold for $150). I'm going to try to upgrade it with a model from the same company which cost me $80 (originally $250)*. It's the club you will use the most each round, so if there is a club you want to "get right" it's the putter.

*Some patience and good searching of eBay can net you wonders.

You've got to just test a bunch and see what fits your eye. I'd say if you like what you have, and putt well with it, then why change? Doesn't matter if its $10 or $1000 if it works, it works. You'll also never know if you like something better until you try a bunch. Gotta experiment a bit, good luck hope you find something

I'm headed to the Seemore event in 2 weeks to answer this exact question. I have no doubt I'll be leaving with a new putter. But one that is the best fit for me and that I roll comfortably? Or one from the vault? Probably one from the vault........

Personal preference. I went through about 15 different putters (I cant believe I bought and traded for that many putters) before I chose my Scotty Squareback 2. I think most importantly you need to figure out what set up gives you the best chance for making putts. I tried center shafted, plumbers neck, etc, etc. Once you figure that out you are more than halfway there. For me I like mallet sight lines but not the look of the large head. So I went all over trying out different heads. Lastly for me was the feel. I dont like inserts so I tested as many putters that did not have inserts. I have been playing golf for almost 7 years and nothing has kicked my scotty out the bag YET. I have owned it for almost 3 years.

Sidenote: My second favorite putter of all time was given to me from a John Daly Big 5 golf set. Crap clubs but man that putter was nice for me. So no you don't have to spend lots of money

Here's my thinking when I buy a putter, it's the one club that I'm going to use the most in any round, so I don't mind paying a little extra if it's what fits me. That doesn't mean expensive putters are better, because I've bought some cheaper ones that performed pretty well too.

Cost of the putter has nothing to do with it, a $39 used putter won 11 million a few years ago.

Find something you like the looks and sound of. Get it fit to your specs and then be confident in your stroke. You will make more putts.

Just go demo a bunch of putters at a couple of golf stores with big selections and find the ones that feel the best to you. Then determine if they are better than what you have and if the difference is worth the price. I once did this and found that a Scotty Cameron was my favorite and about $300. A milled Nicklaus for under $100 was my second favorite. I went with the Nicklaus. I personally didn't see a $200+ difference for me. I tried again a little over a month ago and the staff noticed that I needed a 33" shaft on the putter to fit my style. I went in to look at a milled Odyssey and left with a Ping Karsten Anser 5 that works better for me than any putter I have ever had and gives me more confidence on the green as a result.

I think getting fit and lessons are the only thing to help your putting and also finding a putter that fits your stroke cost doesn't make much difference as long as you can roll it well.

Buck nailed it. Proper fit for stroke and overall length/lie/loft are more important than the price. I have owned some really REALLY expensive putters and I have owned 50.00 putters and in the end, they all roll the rock.

Buck nailed it. Proper fit for stroke and overall length/lie/loft are more important than the price. I have owned some really REALLY expensive putters and I have owned 50.00 putters and in the end, they all roll the rock.

I wouldn't spend a nickel more than $1500 on a putter call me cheap but that's just me !

I thought your max number was 1501?? :p

I wouldn't spend a nickel more than $1500 on a putter call me cheap but that's just me !

If it's $1500.06 I will lend you ... nay, I'll give you ... the six cents. Would hate for you to lose out on a putter over such a paltry sum. ;)

Whatever works for you, regardless of price, is the right putter for you. Plunking down $500 on a putter will not make you a better putter. Proper fit and comfort level are very important to success on the greens IMO.

I find the putter that works best for me cost is just secondary concideration

If it works for you or you just like looking at it then cost isnt an issue

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think you have to find what suits your eye. Once you have that shape you like get fitted to make sure you are rolling it the absolute best you can.

At the end of the day it comes down to comfort regardless what kind of $$ you spend.

Is spending cash on a putter worth it?

Stay classy San Diego

Back