how much of it is the head/ how much is the shaft?

Is it the shaft correcting your swing flaws or is it the way the body is reacting to the shaft bend profile and feel? I know that goes with the fit but at that point is it really the shaft itself doing it or just your reaction to it?
How many have hit a shaft that us supposed to be low or high spin and gotten the opposite result ? Same thing with launch. Shafts are not that different it is each individuals reaction to the shaft that changes things. It is why shaft advice online is shaky at best without it in your hands you have no idea how you will react to it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Maybe its mental, but during my fitting for the SLDR S and making solid, repeatable swings with minor inconsistencies produced difference in some shafts was enormous. The flex was similar, the profile of the shaft however was not. So maybe feel is the biggest factor and my body subconsciously adjusted. the fact remains I could see what happens with various shaft profiles with my swing.

Maybe its mental, but during my fitting for the SLDR S and making solid, repeatable swings with minor inconsistencies produced difference in some shafts was enormous. The flex was similar, the profile of the shaft however was not. So maybe feel is the biggest factor and my body subconsciously adjusted. the fact remains I could see what happens with various shaft profiles with my swing.

Isnt that a bit different than "Correcting swing flaws"?

My miss tends to be a bit towards the heel. The shaft I went with seemed to minimize the effects. Dispersion was much better. I know I don't have a 100% repeatable swing, but I think I am consistent enough to see physical effect on ball flight.

I disagree. My launch differs greatly from the DG line to the PX line. Stratospheric difference.

I am the same way 100% however its my opinion that it is because of how I react to the shaft and I do things differently rather than the actually shaft itself being that different. Shaft companies in my mind have found ways to make generalizations hold true by producing a certain feel however as with any generalization it doesn't apply to everyone. This is all opinion after talking with some people that understand shaft design way more than I do but this is just my perception of a shaft.

My miss tends to be a bit towards the heel. The shaft I went with seemed to minimize the effects. Dispersion was much better. I know I don't have a 100% repeatable swing, but I think I am consistent enough to see physical effect on ball flight.

What shaft did you come from and what were you fit into if you don't mind me asking?

What shaft did you come from and what were you fit into if you don't mind me asking?

At the time of the fitting I was using a Alpha with a stock stiff which was grossly inadequate for my swing speed based on the fitter suggestion. I was fit to a SLDR S 12* with a Graphite Design AD MT-6X. I will also be ordering the same shaft for my Alpha based on the results I saw with the setup as well.

At the time of the fitting I was using a Alpha with a stock stiff which was grossly inadequate for my swing speed based on the fitter suggestion. I was fit to a SLDR S 12* with a Graphite Design AD MT-6X. I will also be ordering the same shaft for my Alpha based on the results I saw with the setup as well.

Now the way I would think about that is the kickpoints in the shaft are different and the Graphite design is 5 grams heavier. While it was a property in the shaft that caused it to have a different feel the real change in your performance came because of your bodies reaction to the weight and kickpoint change not that there was a HUGE difference in profile of the shaft. I think for sure that shafts are different but I dont think the difference is as much as people think if the same swing was put on each shaft

Now the way I would think about that is the kickpoints in the shaft are different and the Graphite design is 5 grams heavier. While it was a property in the shaft that caused it to have a different feel the real change in your performance came because of your bodies reaction to the weight and kickpoint change not that there was a HUGE difference in profile of the shaft. I think for sure that shafts are different but I dont think the difference is as much as people think if the same swing was put on each shaft

Whatever the factor is, I am confident in the setup for my swing. It could be the color of the shaft for all I know.

I think it's more about "not accentuating" swing flaws rather than really correcting them. The same concept holds true, though. the swing flaws are there in everyone, especially so in the average amateur. having a properly fit shaft minimizes the effects. great example is one of my own swing flaws - I tend to cast a little bit with iron shots. My brain is telling my hands to get the club there when it feels like it won't get there on its own. With the heavier shaft (and higher swing weight), that flaw is all but gone. As a result, I am hitting far, far fewer fat shots (which was my primary miss) than ever before. Even when I didn't hit fat I was missing a little on the face because of the same thing. Trying to force the club to do something that it wasn't doing, or at least didn't *feel* like it was doing, naturally. With the e1 swing weight and 115g shaft, the result is very different. like, night and day different. turning through the shot just gets the club to impact properly, and it doesn't feel like I have to do anything with my hands to get it there.

As I am thinking about finding a head/shaft pairing is it as simple as establishing a baseline. Taking a head and shaft and finding which head gives the closest to optimum launch characteristics and then pairing that head with a shaft?

As I am thinking about finding a head/shaft pairing is it as simple as establishing a baseline. Taking a head and shaft and finding which head gives the closest to optimum launch characteristics and then pairing that head with a shaft?

I think you need to hit the full combo to get the full results.

I think you need to hit the full combo to get the full results.

That's what I am curious about. When I was fit for my driver back in February, we narrowed down to two heads. Then tinkered with available shaft options and found a match that performed the best. I am curious if that is what Jman, Buckjob, and JB are speaking about.

Thanks for all the responses. The reasons behind the thread was if it was worth it tryong to make the sldr mini better by changing the shaft. The thing theat stuck in my mind was from jman (I think) about the cobra amp cell and that it was a much better driver when the crappy stock aftermarket fuel was replaced. Wondering if this is a similar case? And from people saying the got much better results with the tp shaft vs the non tp shaft.

Thanks for all the responses. The reasons behind the thread was if it was worth it tryong to make the sldr mini better by changing the shaft. The thing theat stuck in my mind was from jman (I think) about the cobra amp cell and that it was a much better driver when the crappy stock aftermarket fuel was replaced. Wondering if this is a similar case? And from people saying the got much better results with the tp shaft vs the non tp shaft.

Dealing with tooooooooootally different beasts here though dude.

It wasn't an aftermarket fuel. I don't think.

I am the same way with the weight I can tell instantly the flex I can't though. This is all very interesting to me to hear different peoples perspective

I agree with ^^^ about shaft weight. I was fitted for the PX-7C3 shaft in my 910D2 at the local Titleist fitting center. After trying several different shafts, I was surprised to learn that I had poor consistency and control with my drives with shafts that weighed less than 70 grams. The fitter explained to me that the heavier shaft would help control my tempo on the down swing which did result in a much more consistent result as compared to a 50 gram shaft that I sprayed all over the range.

JB and others who have experienced some range time messing around with this will not be surprised by the results, but think others may need to take a look at Marks video this morning

There was one shot in the last group, where the R15 weights were moved, that was well out of line with the others in spin. Wonder if that difference would have been so great if they eliminated that one.

They also didn't discuss dispersion or directional tendency of each shaft. Would be interesting to see if there was a difference there.

Would be nice to see this done with an average hacker. Would there be a difference with someone hitting all over the face? Would there be more difference with a slower swing speed?

Nice to think the only difference between shafts is how they feel.

There was one shot in the last group, where the R15 weights were moved, that was well out of line with the others in spin. Wonder if that difference would have been so great if they eliminated that one.

They also didn't discuss dispersion or directional tendency of each shaft. Would be interesting to see if there was a difference there.

Would be nice to see this done with an average hacker. Would there be a difference with someone hitting all over the face? Would there be more difference with a slower swing speed?

Nice to think the only difference between shafts is how they feel.

I think doing it with someone that didn't have a constant strike would make it almost invalid of a test. There will be no comparable data with no consistency in the variables (strike).

It's far from a perfect test, but shines a lot of light on the argument IMO.

I dont get much into Crossfield stuff, but I do find it interesting that THP (Hawk and I) have been saying this for quite some time now.
I will never say that shafts dont matter, because they do. But not nearly to the effect that so many online want to believe.

I agree, but this was a spin and distance test. I'm wondering if there is an impact on foregiveness. Understood that would be mostly, if not entirely head design too, but would flex exaggerate a miss? Would torque?

Folks like us go get fitted, but it's interesting discussion.

I dont get much into Crossfield stuff, but I do find it interesting that THP (Hawk and I) have been saying this for quite some time now.
I will never say that shafts dont matter, because they do. But not nearly to the effect that so many online want to believe.

First thing I thought of when I saw it this morning.

I can't watch that right now, but I think he did something like this before too and got hammered for it by the youtube commenters.

I think for me, it's entirely a feel thing. I was trying out fairways yesterday, and was playing around with the G25 4W. They had the R and S on the fitting cart, so I was trying both of them. I found that my best strikes with the S and R were pretty much the same, but I was hitting the middle of the face with the R far more consistently - I think I've come to the conclusion that I really like to feel the shaft load. So, were I to pick up the club, I'd go for R.

Back