Things overheard at the range...

I always try helping everyone out at the range. I'm sure there is alot of " oh crap , it's that guy again" syndrome happening when I pull up in the parking lot.

:) , actually the range I love the best is just on the outskirts of a forest preserve ( boundary on right side ) .. Hear tons of birds , noise of trees swaying in the wind .. Just beautiful. ,

Do you offer advice unsolicited?

Range pros are the worst. Every other time I go to the range I seem to attract one of those clowns.

I wear my head phones so I can work on my game and not be bothered. When I don't wear my head set I worry about my space and drown out any outside noise.

My favorite is
two guys taking about how far they hit there _ club the the next 5 swings a a string of Shanks and tops

There is one guy at a range I go to who will sometimes come and give me swing advice....unsolicited and all....

Of course, it happens to be the head pro, and the guy I take my lessons from. That's why I keep going back, he knows what I'm working on and will give me 5 minutes if I'm out on the range just to tell me how I'm doing.

But all these stories of heavy petting and ladies of the night.....I don't know, maybe I'm in too rural of an area.

~Rock

Best I heard recently was a dad and daughter, about 13 or 14.
dad... '...look you must listen to me, you've never played before, you're still not holding the stick like I showed you...'
daughter... '...it doesn't matter, you told me you had to get it into a hole and I can't see a hole anywhere..'

I recently took my wife to the range. She is wanting to play now. It was an interesting experience. I'm sure the people a few stalls away were tired of her grumbling when she struggled to hit the ball.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My son and I hit balls next to another dad/son the other day. Son was maybe 7-8? Dad was giving him straight up lessons, talking about one-piece takeaways and hip turn. Wtf.

I see waaaay too much of that at my home course. A bunch of dad's trying to give detailed instructions to kids under 10 - amazing how clueless they are.

I tend to mumble to myself, critiquing my swing.

However today their were a couple guys and one brought his little 3-4 year old son. His son was rather well behaved considering the other guy was taking baseball type swings at 110% with an iron, either chunking like crazy or hitting an 80 yard slice followed by the typical four letter words loud enough for everybody to hear. Later on the matted side of the range they both were hitting drivers maybe 220 yards with a 75 yard dispertion saying the same "that looks playable!"

My son and I hit balls next to another dad/son the other day. Son was maybe 7-8? Dad was giving him straight up lessons, talking about one-piece takeaways and hip turn. Wtf.

I saw a dad doing this once and then he'd point out others on the range to show his son what not to do. It was so frustrating, but I didn't say anything eventho I was probably the guy he was using as an example.

I saw a dad doing this once and then he'd point out others on the range to show his son what not to do. It was so frustrating, but I didn't say anything eventho I was probably the guy he was using as an example.

My son is 7 and like me, gets frustrated when he doesn't hit the ball more than a few feet. I don't get too technical with him and don't get mad or frustrated.

I do try to teach him though through simple means. Like keeping his head still and making a triangle with his arms throughout the swing. It helps him hit a few more than a few feet off the ground and makes him happy.

I'll tend to talk to myself at the range occasionally, so anyone who's been next to me will probably chime in on this :doh:. Not on every shot, but there will be at least a few "I don't even know what that was..." thrown in my session.
I talk (& laugh) to myself as well.
Some comments I say to myself "nice shot idiot", "keep your head down dummy", "wtf was that", "I should have stayed in the car". Or I just plain laugh at myself bad shots.
I don't say these often but sometimes I get looks from guys next to me until they find out I'm talking to myself.

i usually only laugh at someone giving someone else horrible golf advice that won't help whatever they are doing wrong. i just smile and keep hitting away

T funniest things I generally hear are: "DUDE I HIT THAT AT LEAST 350 yards"

+1

And you look up to witness the phenomenon and see a bent left arm, little shoulder turn, swaying and no hip turn and a ball that can barely make it past the 100 yard marker.

People watching at the range is absolute reality entertainment at its best.

I heard two good ones today. One was "when you start hitting a slice use my driver, it will cure you instantly." The second was from the same guy to a women on the range that he didn't know; "Nice swing. Nice a** too." People never cease to amaze me. He wasn't thrilled when I told him that maybe it was time to leave.

Last edited:

that is 200 yards straight and 150 yards right

"Hey jacka$$. Hit balls off the grass. You're going to hit somebody."

- Hawk yelling at some hippies hitting from mats behind the grass range last week.

I wear my head phones so I can work on my game and not be bothered. When I don't wear my head set I worry about my space and drown out any outside noise.

Any particular kind of headphones or do normal earbuds normally work for you? I've been thinking about trying it out.

I'm the same way. Put in my ear buds & work on my game. Hit shuffle and get to work.

Good stuff here. I am going to have to start listening more carefully while at the range.

Jaybirds, Bluetooth headset. Never go to the range with out them. No wires to impede my swing.
Any particular kind of headphones or do normal earbuds normally work for you? I've been thinking about trying it out.

The only thing I hear during a normal range session is my Spotify playlist. Unless it's with my son, then I hear..."Dad, watch this one... did you see that?!?" Which I'm fine with because he's having fun.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Back