Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

They were really nice today. Ball flight that I like and added stability that I sadly need.

Also, its amazing how proper lie angles allow for better spin on shots into greens because the toe isn't digging a tunnel to China. :alien:

I know all about that toe dig!

They were really nice today. Ball flight that I like and added stability that I sadly need.

Also, its amazing how proper lie angles allow for better spin on shots into greens because the toe isn't digging a tunnel to China. :alien:

I know my swing isn't there yet with these but my instructor has now asked twice when I'm getting these bent upright. Should at least help a little with my issues I suppose

Holy crap...

So my Apex irons arrived today from Callaway preowned.com.

Project X flighted 95 6.0 shafts.

First of all, these things were brand spankin new. Stickers, heads in plastic still, not a single mark anywhere. "Like new" status indeed. Brand new. Amazing.

I was just amazed at the flight I am seeing. High, without ballooning...penetrating. Especially the longer irons...I had never hit my long irons that high. Its not a bad high...its a very desirable high...gorgeous.

The forgiveness is just amazing. I am not a stellar ball striker, so I hit thin, fat, heel, toe. These are more forgiving than my old JPX 825s! Sure, penalized on distance, but not bad and laterally its just incredible. And the feeling of a flush shot....

Besides the "forged" feedback and feel, the greatest benefit I noticed was in the distance. I am hitting 1.5-2 full clubs more than the 825. I have a laser range finder, so I knew my club distances pretty well...here is the comparison I noted, JPX distance first:

PW: 120 vs 130
9i: 130 vs 140
8i: 145 vs 160 (!!!!!!)
7i: 150 vs 170
6i: 165 vs 185
5i: 175 vs 195 (!!!)

My mashie 4h was my 180 go-to. Now, I can reach it with my 6i?? what is this sorcery?!?!

I noticed the difference between my 9i and 8i is pretty huge. Full, good contact swings resulted in the 8i just bombing. Its unbelievable. All lofts/lengths are standard.

I am thrilled with how these perform and interact with the turf. My home course range is grass, so I tried a few different lies (tight, fluffy, etc) and even on my nemesis, tight lies, I feel I can compress more than with the JPX. Maybe its just the honeymoon period, but wow. I am hooked.

I have a video, but have to transfer it and post it later.

Callaway is taking over my bag. They are killing it with Big Bertha and now Apex. Awesome.

Interesting distance comparisons versus the JPX 825s. Did you have the regular 825s or the 825 Pros?

Glad you like your Apex. The forgiveness and feel are the two biggest things that stand out to me with these.

Glad you like the Apex. Amazing to see the "like new" condition from CPO.com.

Distance is fun, but wait until you see how forgiving they are and how little distance loss there is on miss hits.

Thanks for the information condor...sounds like you had a pretty exciting range session! Glad you like em!

Interesting distance comparisons versus the JPX 825s. Did you have the regular 825s or the 825 Pros?

It is VERY interesting. I was NOT expecting it at all! I had the regular 825s, not the Pros.

Man those are some crazy distance gains, well done!

I want to hear a full report on this awesomeness.

You shall get one, but I think I'll go hit the course with them again today first. :alien:

Holy crap...

So my Apex irons arrived today from Callaway preowned.com.

Project X flighted 95 6.0 shafts.

First of all, these things were brand spankin new. Stickers, heads in plastic still, not a single mark anywhere. "Like new" status indeed. Brand new. Amazing.

I was just amazed at the flight I am seeing. High, without ballooning...penetrating. Especially the longer irons...I had never hit my long irons that high. Its not a bad high...its a very desirable high...gorgeous.

The forgiveness is just amazing. I am not a stellar ball striker, so I hit thin, fat, heel, toe. These are more forgiving than my old JPX 825s! Sure, penalized on distance, but not bad and laterally its just incredible. And the feeling of a flush shot....

Besides the "forged" feedback and feel, the greatest benefit I noticed was in the distance. I am hitting 1.5-2 full clubs more than the 825. I have a laser range finder, so I knew my club distances pretty well...here is the comparison I noted, JPX distance first:

PW: 120 vs 130
9i: 130 vs 140
8i: 145 vs 160 (!!!!!!)
7i: 150 vs 170
6i: 165 vs 185
5i: 175 vs 195 (!!!)

My mashie 4h was my 180 go-to. Now, I can reach it with my 6i?? what is this sorcery?!?!

I noticed the difference between my 9i and 8i is pretty huge. Full, good contact swings resulted in the 8i just bombing. Its unbelievable. All lofts/lengths are standard.

I am thrilled with how these perform and interact with the turf. My home course range is grass, so I tried a few different lies (tight, fluffy, etc) and even on my nemesis, tight lies, I feel I can compress more than with the JPX. Maybe its just the honeymoon period, but wow. I am hooked.

I have a video, but have to transfer it and post it later.

Callaway is taking over my bag. They are killing it with Big Bertha and now Apex. Awesome.

This is exactly how I felt when I demoed the Apex with Tour V. I had five irons in my hand from different manufacturers, and the Apex absolutely abused the bunch between distance and accuracy. I had been talking to a friend earlier in the year about club selection and proper options for me, as someone who primarily focuses on straight ball flight rather than trying to get fancy with left/right workability, and he said Apex should be at the top of the list.

It's the absolute truth, these irons are one of the best, if not the best release of the year -- And I really need to spend some more time with them.

Keep us updated on how many strokes you save after the transition.

Did you buy a set yet Dan? I really think its an injustice that you dont have a set already.

I'm going to get fit for new irons later this summer, and I really need to stop coming in this thread if I'm going to have an open mind going into that fitting. It just seems like so many people like these irons, and they work for a wide range of handicaps as well.

Here's the short video shot yesterday of two shots with my 8i. 2nd shot was a bit chunky and the flight is still amazing and far. I'm really curious to see how these will do with my current gamers, the SR2.

I am playing Saturday morning so we'll see how they do on the course, but to say I am thrilled/excited is an understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK1fRxnq0RY&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
CPO has 30% off right now sir

Nope. No they don't Sparks. I don't know what you're talking about. The site is broken. It is blocked for Ohio Residents. They are on vacation. My internet is out. :alien:

It's the absolute truth, these irons are one of the best, if not the best release of the year -- And I really need to spend some more time with them.

I REALLY wish Cally would honor that with some flippin' Apex merchandise. There's none. Are we the only people in the world realizing how awesome they are? I want some Apex stuff!! Closets and garages full!!! :alien:

For those looking to buy Apex though, the prices on Callaway pre-owned really are exceptional.

I just priced out Apex irons with Tour V 4-PW like new (which probably means in plastic) for $588.70 --- That is absolutely obscene with all things considered.

edit: Looks like Apex are excluded from the current deal. False alarm!

Last edited:
Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

For those looking to buy Apex though, the prices on Callaway pre-owned really are exceptional.

I just priced out Apex irons with Tour V 4-PW like new (which probably means in plastic) for $588.70 --- That is absolutely obscene with all things considered.

That's less than I paid for 5-PW with tour v shafts. Same site. Same 30% off.

Son of a...

EDIT: never mind I only got 20% off. #loser

That truly is an outstanding price. Will this force your hand?

That truly is an outstanding price. Will this force your hand?

I'm really not sure. I have an exceptional bag of equipment on the horizon for the Morgan Cup, with my name written on it, and that's holding me back quite a bit.

This is a true lust of mine. I'll need to think about it quite a bit before pulling the trigger, if it happens.

I'm really not sure. I have an exceptional bag of equipment on the horizon for the Morgan Cup, with my name written on it, and that's holding me back quite a bit.

This is a true lust of mine. I'll need to think about it quite a bit before pulling the trigger, if it happens.

Understood. One wouldn't know it was a lust of yours until they see you try to commandeer their 7 iron. In the middle of a round.

Back