The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping for a late range session today followed by an early morning round before work tomorrow.

I really need to focus on posture and grip this evening. It's amazing how things revert back to bad places when I stop actively focusing on them. Left shoulder keeps slouching forward at address unless I actively think about keeping my shoulder behind my chest. Then, things just start getting bad.

It's so funny how one or two little things significantly affect a golf swing. Ugh!

I know this feeling all to well. I try and get to the range at least 5 days a week unless I'm playing and try to strictly focus on posture. Like you said it's amazing how quickly things revert back when you're not really focused on them.

Your putting in some serious work and I like it!

I'm guessing that your instructor checked it the first few lessons and saw it was good then and just assumed it stayed the same

Or spent too much time staring at his phone and taking video. At this point I don't want to take on another instructor and possibly another swing change. Therefore I decided to open up the Tour Academy and see how working on basic fundamentals can help my game. I know it helps to have the eyes of someone watching so the video recorder will be running.

The journey has been exciting and provided me to know my game. It's amazing what the conundrum of practice can do for ones game. It may not be fun as playing a round, but it sure helps the game.

Arms run off after the shoulder turn is done and collapse at the top as well. It's the issue I've always had in my swing.

What drills are you doing to work on it?

I am doing a lot of the stop drill to set the stopping point of arms and hands at the top/when left shoulder stops my hands stop and I pause then come back to the ball.

Also keeping my weight from getting to the outside of my right foot has kept the right hip from going back, which was allowing me to take too long of a backswing.

Or spent too much time staring at his phone and taking video. At this point I don't want to take on another instructor and possibly another swing change. Therefore I decided to open up the Tour Academy and see how working on basic fundamentals can help my game. I know it helps to have the eyes of someone watching so the video recorder will be running.

The journey has been exciting and provided me to know my game. It's amazing what the conundrum of practice can do for ones game. It may not be fun as playing a round, but it sure helps the game.

True on the video part it can allow us to see things we wouldn't catch with the naked eye but can blind us to the easy stuff as we are looking for the stuff we can't see with out it.

What drills are you doing to work on it?

I am doing a lot of the stop drill to set the stopping point of arms and hands at the top/when left shoulder stops my hands stop and I pause then come back to the ball.

Also keeping my weight from getting to the outside of my right foot has kept the right hip from going back, which was allowing me to take too long of a backswing.

I do the top drill, but it's still hard to take that feel for me to real shots. I have an arm-driven swing, and anytime I try to focus on the movement of the shoulders or body instead of focusing on the arms, I drag the club way inside and things get worse. The second thing is something that I already do, it's not the reason I overswing.

Another thing I'm trying: just feeling like my backswing stops when it gets to the level of my hips. The club is well past that point, but it's the feel that I need to try to replicate every time.

I can't remember a time when I hit the ball so poorly. It was one of the most frustration range sessions I can remember having.

I am trying to force myself back to the range this week. My game has completely gone away since March. I went to the range last night, strictly wanting to work with a hybrid, trying to put a smooth swing to it. The results were promising, but definitely need to keep at it.
Since starting lessons back in January, I have started thinking about the swing to much and have a real problem with over thinking while trying to produce a shot. Yesterday was an effort at trying to get back to just swinging the club. Hopefully today I can go forward off of yesterdays session.

Amol: you sound exactly like me man. Stop at hips (in mind) is still a complete swing. So easy to accomplish on set practice swing but then not even close on actual swing.

Amol: you sound exactly like me man. Stop at hips (in mind) is still a complete swing. So easy to accomplish on set practice swing but then not even close on actual swing.

I encountered this on sunday playing with canadan. 2 practice sewing then the real one....how comment..."3 different swings....interesting"

Not hit a ball since playing 2 rounds of golf in 2 days almost a couple weeks ago now, but I have got a couple days off after today so hoping to hit the range at least once (weather permitting) before playing a round on Sunday

For guys struggling .. I would recommend taking a few weeks off of the range and just go play . Never know. , being on a golf course on a beautiful day might help . Think how to score not how to swing ..

I do the top drill, but it's still hard to take that feel for me to real shots. I have an arm-driven swing, and anytime I try to focus on the movement of the shoulders or body instead of focusing on the arms, I drag the club way inside and things get worse. The second thing is something that I already do, it's not the reason I overswing.

Another thing I'm trying: just feeling like my backswing stops when it gets to the level of my hips. The club is well past that point, but it's the feel that I need to try to replicate every time.

I like this and it is what I used when I started the change- body/hands/arms hit a wall when my shoulders reached their max turn(left under chin) then just release from the top down

Just got back from the range and just let me say...it's amazing how incorrect or slightly altered the G of GPA can effect ball flight. Ball flight changed practically over night. I'm ready to take it out to the course, however I am going to reinforce with another range session this afternoon.

We've played enough golf together to know that we both have some of the same issues. You've seen my swing, it's always been long but when my tempo is good and I'm not forcing things, I can play pretty well. I'm really just trying to make it more simple right now and take out the "extra" stuff in my backswing that forces me to make compensations in my downswing. In other words, trying to do less in order to hit the ball further....sounds simple, but it's a hard change. I'm only hitting balls 1-2 times per week right now, it will take a LONG time at that rate to shorten my swing.

I planned on playing this am before work, but my warm up swings were so bad that I just stayed on the range.

Swing is teetering a little bit, especially with the longer clubs. I think it's a couple setup things mixed in with over swinging. So, the usual. I stopped after one bucket because I was so disgusted with what I was doing. Ugh.

I'm going to try to give it a go in the morning and see if it's any better. I'm teeing it up all weekend with my brother and father, so I know I'll at least get some rounds in.

Only saving grace was putting. I putted for about 10-15min and felt really confident doing it. That is clicking right now.

Hopefully I can stop snap-hooking everything over a 6i sooner than later...

Keep putting in that work ATL, it will click sooner than later for you.

I planned on playing this am before work, but my warm up swings were so bad that I just stayed on the range.

Swing is teetering a little bit, especially with the longer clubs. I think it's a couple setup things mixed in with over swinging. So, the usual. I stopped after one bucket because I was so disgusted with what I was doing. Ugh.

I'm going to try to give it a go in the morning and see if it's any better. I'm teeing it up all weekend with my brother and father, so I know I'll at least get some rounds in.

Only saving grace was putting. I putted for about 10-15min and felt really confident doing it. That is clicking right now.

Hopefully I can stop snap-hooking everything over a 6i sooner than later...

Same here dude, it got really strange but it will pass soon enough. A couple rounds this weekend should get things straight again, swing changes are tough at times.

Lesson went good and bad. Was all excited to show my instructor the progress I had made. Got on film and I'm still flipping! :banghead: Its not as bad as it was, but its still there and video doesn't lie. H said that it is a LOT better, but wants me to continue to focus on turning through the ball and gave me some more 1/2 drills to work on. Also saw that I'm getting long again on my backswing. I think I need electro-shock therapy where if I take it back too far I get shocked!!

The good news is that I have picked up about 1/2 a club and my misses are more on line with the target, I've been putting up some decent scores and have just learned so much. I feel like such a jack-ass for not taking lessons 20 or 30 years ago. Then again, I have never had the incentive to get better that I have at this moment. Now that I've gotten a taste, man oh man....... LOVE IT!

JM
This is still good John. Progress is progress!

Same here dude, it got really strange but it will pass soon enough. A couple rounds this weekend should get things straight again, swing changes are tough at times.

The problem is that I'm always seemingly changing my swing. Ha!

I'll work through it. I just need to chill the eff out, as a wise person once told me.

Keep plugging away John. Swing changes take time.

100 balls at lunch. 60 with the 7iron. I'll take it

3eryzyre.jpg

3eryzyre.jpg

Well done dude, I enjoy going to the range sometimes with 1 club and hitting different shots with it.

Well done dude, I enjoy going to the range sometimes with 1 club and hitting different shots with it.

I just try to hit the same shot over and over. It gets confusing otherwise. Hahaha

I just try to hit the same shot over and over. It gets confusing otherwise. Hahaha

I hear ya....lol

No range time for me today. Lots of rain in the forecast. Will definitely get some birdie ball putting in though. Then follow that up with chipping.

3eryzyre.jpg

You should try cleaning your clubs. Your ball flight will be noticeably better.

#HereToHelp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back