Yonex XP Hybrid Review

Nice review, Hawk. A few things stand out that I like about this club; it looks awesome, I love the adjustability of it, and the rounded sole seems like it would really help with turf interaction. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with those of us who might not be as familiar with the Yonex brand.

Great findings here Hawk! The spin tidbit is very interesting.....with that lower spin and flatter ball flight this could be a monster in a longer hybrid - based on your findings with spin I would love to see a 2H offering in this for off the tee purposes.

The grip weighting can't help but remind me of the Boccieri hybrids which I was a BIG fan of.

Thanks for the great review Hawk. The first thought that jumped out to me was that it was huge. I see this more as a mini fairway as well, which could be a fairway finding monster off the tee for some--including me. I too wish that I could find these clubs around me.

Yea you guys that like hybrids off the tee may enjoy this one. It's very large. I could also see it being quite useful for that due to the more penetrating flight I saw.

Great review, Ryan. I, for one, love the look of the hybrid, as Yonex makes some very attractive clubs. Saying this one would be attractive to players who generate higher spin numbers intrigues me, for sure.

The adjustability on this thing is great. I'm so glad THP has brought this brand to light for me, they have some amazing equipment with awesome features. Well done Ryan!!!

Love the look of it. Hearing you talking about the trajectory and spin you were seeing out of it, without sacrificing the carry distance, has me eager to try it out.

Does opening the face up deloft this hybrid? #LoftDown

Yes it does.

Very nice review Ryan. If you compare it to the likes of the SLDR offering, that's high praise. I like the look of this, much like the driver. Nice adjustability and very nice head shape. Thanks Hawk!

You know, I actually liked the SLDR more just because it gave me a higher ball. Some similarities there though.

Interesting club, I really like the color scheme on these, simple but different.

The low spin of this would worry me though I'm not a high spin player and need my hybrids to hold a green, should I be lucky enough to actually hit it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

As with the driver, the multi colored head is the only complaint I can see with the looks of this club. If I hit it straight and long though, I could get used to the color scheme pretty fast! $200 seems a little high though. I haven't hit any Yonex clubs though, so I don't know if their history supports that price.

I love the multi-colored head on these, just like the driver.

The spin is baffling though, it still astounds me.

I don't get it either James. I hit a number of other clubs around the same time and it was very consistent. The negative side for me would be the trajectory and ability to hold greens. Hybrid is a club I hit into greens, so the higher the better, but others may find some benefits there if they are already putting the ball way up.

I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts, but I know that's not going to be easy.

I don't get it either James. I hit a number of other clubs around the same time and it was very consistent. The negative side for me would be the trajectory and ability to hold greens. Hybrid is a club I hit into greens, so the higher the better, but others may find some benefits there if they are already putting the ball way up.

I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts, but I know that's not going to be easy.

Its just the exact opposite of what I expected we would see out of this one, TBH the driver was as well there.

I'm the same, I need to be able to hold a green with my hybrids. Too low spin for a low spin guy already...look out.

Interesting find here Hawk, I'm a guy who hits a higher ball flight, so with this being a lower trajectory, that's got me thinking. I could really use a new 2 hybrid and if this pops and flies like my 2 hybrid, it may get a longer look. I've never hit a Yonex fairway wood or hybrid before, so this would be a first. I can't deny the looks of the club, just like the one Jman reviewed. With lower spin rates though, I'm just now sure. hummmmmm

i ended up getting the yonex ezone xp 5 hybrid.
im still under a year golf experience so i do not know how to explain my first outing with it today. all i can say is "effortless". i do wish there was a different aesthetics (i think that is the word) for the counter balanced grip. it has no marks or arrows or shapes on the grip. i still rely on these with my other clubs to help with my grip in relation to my stance and alignment to the ball. my friend i golf with just simply said "get a new grip" yeah... counterbalanced.. anyhow i like it here is a photo of it with my x2hot 4h and jpx ez fli hi 6

edit: i probably shouldnt have gone with an "esoteric" club but i wanted something outside of the box

2sbsxw7.jpg

Back