TaylorMade SLDR Irons Preview

Don't forget the stock graphite!

How can I forget, it's probably what I am going with

I had my set built with the Tour 90's and when I was hitting them side by side with the C-Taper 90, I couldn't tell any real difference in ball flight to my untrained eye. They did remind me of a stepless Tour 90.

It's hard for me to believe that TaylorMade didn't make the Aerotech SteelFibers available to us. Every steel iron shaft on their optional list is available, but, only the stock graphite? Thankfully, there are four lighter steel shafts available. So, maybe one of them will work for me.

It's hard for me to believe that TaylorMade didn't make the Aerotech SteelFibers available to us. Every steel iron shaft on their optional list is available, but, only the stock graphite? Thankfully, there are four lighter steel shafts available. So, maybe one of them will work for me.

I never saw an update after your doctor's visit. Are you going to be able to get fit this week Vman?

I would have been all over that combo. But from what options are offered I'm sure I will find something that works well for me.

I never saw an update after your doctor's visit. Are you going to be able to get fit this week Vman?

I'm scheduled for next Monday. GG gave me the extra day because of my surgery. TMPL could not accommodate though, so it's w/ Club Champion, CC doesn't have the S irons yet, but they have the rest.

I had my set built with the Tour 90's and when I was hitting them side by side with the C-Taper 90, I couldn't tell any real difference in ball flight to my untrained eye. They did remind me of a stepless Tour 90.

I agree, I was hitting them into the wind so paid no attention to distance, but the feel and launch was Tour 90ish all the way

I'm definitely thinking these with the stock shaft, only option would be KBS Tour.

I'm definitely thinking these with the stock shaft, only option would be KBS Tour.

I am thinking the same thing, c-taper 90 should work well for me.

Any anyone noticed how these SLDR irons shaft lengths are much shorter than say the Speedblades. IE the Speedblade is 37, the SLDR 7 is only 36.75 (compared to my covert 7 which is 37.5) Could this be part of the equation of most saying that the SLDR are a bit shorter in distance than the Speedblade? What do those who are using the SLDR say the over all effect is. Also is that part of the fact that these are "for the better player" as opposed to the Speedblades?

Any anyone noticed how these SLDR irons shaft lengths are much shorter than say the Speedblades. IE the Speedblade is 37, the SLDR 7 is only 36.75 (compared to my covert 7 which is 37.5) Could this be part of the equation of most saying that the SLDR are a bit shorter in distance than the Speedblade? What do those who are using the SLDR say the over all effect is. Also is that part of the fact that these are "for the better player" as opposed to the Speedblades?

The SLDR shafts are the same length as the TP lines, and are definitely a bit shorter than the SB shafts. I honestly don't know how much distance would be gained from adding 1/4" on a 7 iron shaft, but I can't imagine it would be much. I think the SB being longer would come from a combination of the longer shafts, the lower lofts (even though in my limited testing the SB 7 iron went higher than the SLDR), and the slightly bigger more forgiving head.

I would imagine that the reduced length of the shaft would effect distance some what they are the same length as the TP irons which make sense since they are suppose to be in-between

I never gamed the SpeedBlades full time, though I have hit O'Carroll's many times and gamed them for a round. I did play the Tour Preferred CB irons earlier this spring. So while I can't give you a great direct comparison to the SpeedBlades, I can tell you that these are longer than the CB's. My set is built with the same shaft in each set so I could get a better comparison.

Was thinking about my irons for the MC and I am so glad I went with graphite. Been hitting a lot of golf shots the past few weeks and it's really taking a tole on my body. After a quick 9 last night, got home and my elbow/wrist were throbbing. Woke up this morning and both are still incredibly sore. Really hoping that going this route will help alleviate all of this.

Pics

Pics

Was thinking about my irons for the MC and I am so glad I went with graphite. Been hitting a lot of golf shots the past few weeks and it's really taking a tole on my body. After a quick 9 last night, got home and my elbow/wrist were throbbing. Woke up this morning and both are still incredibly sore. Really hoping that going this route will help alleviate all of this.
Nobody has the SLDR irons with the Graphite shafts around here. Haven't seen any pics anywhere showing the stock graphite either. Hoping you'll post some pics with the Fujikura shafts :act-up:

Nobody has the SLDR irons with the Graphite shafts around here. Haven't seen any pics anywhere showing the stock graphite either. Hoping you'll post some pics with the Fujikura shafts :act-up:

I've only seen them once and that was out in Carlsbad. I will certainly have some pictures up on them when they arrive. However that won't be until Staff Sponser Dar, the Friday of The Morgan Cup.

It will help to an extent. If your wrists and elbows are taking some abuse, you might be coming in too steep on it. You're not practicing on mads during all this too are you?

It will help to an extent. If your wrists and elbows are taking some abuse, you might be coming in too steep on it. You're not practicing on mads during all this too are you?

no mats for me. Not since the opening of the season.

no mats for me. Not since the opening of the season.

Mads, mats, glad you knew what I meant. Are you trenching it?

Hit these Friday. Holy cow these are rocket launchers. A little less forgiving than I need but wow. 20 yards over my current gamers. I clicked with the shaft so quickly I put it in the speedblade head and was hitting almost as far with more forgiveness. A very solid semi players iron.

Hit these Friday. Holy cow these are rocket launchers. A little less forgiving than I need but wow. 20 yards over my current gamers. I clicked with the shaft so quickly I put it in the speedblade head and was hitting almost as far with more forgiveness. A very solid semi players iron.

So you're saying you hit the SLDR further than the SB? What shaft did you use?

So you're saying you hit the SLDR further than the SB? What shaft did you use?

Raw distance sldr. Distance and dispersion sb but like I said before I still miss the center of the face a good bit. I used the kbs tour 90 ctaper in R and S flex. Here I can go either way. I am on the border of r and s so if I am warm the s gives great numbers but the r gave me great numbers all the time. I almost pulled the trigger on the shafts to put in my burners.

Raw distance sldr. Distance and dispersion sb but like I said before I still miss the center of the face a good bit. I used the kbs tour 90 ctaper in R and S flex. Here I can go either way. I am on the border of r and s so if I am warm the s gives great numbers but the r gave me great numbers all the time. I almost pulled the trigger on the shafts to put in my burners.

That's interesting. I haven't compared both with the sane shaft, thanks for the info.

I like what is being said here… it makes my future demo experience very specific.
I got to handle the new SLDR irons (with the C Taper shafts) this weekend at my local Golfsmith… I'm very interested in upgrading to them from my I20s

The posts previous to this confirms that T-M are introducing a "game improvement product for more adept players"… so my hope that this was going to be a more suitable replacement for I20s with better looks and a bit more distance per iron… but NOT a "meat head" launcher… is great for me.

I'll keep looking forward to all of your updates re: your own demo takeaways in the weeks ahead.

thanks!

I took a few swings with the SLDR irons in the stock stiff on Friday. I was really impressed.

Definitely not a scientific test. But the SLDR 7i was as long as the JPX EX Forged 6i.

I took a few swings with the SLDR irons in the stock stiff on Friday. I was really impressed.

Definitely not a scientific test. But the SLDR 7i was as long as the JPX EX Forged 6i.

They definitely have some giddy-up to them.

any more info on the C-Taper 90s they come with, are they the same as CTL just a few grams lighter to work with the SLDR iron heads ????

Back