Festival Of Trees...a tribute to my nephew TY

J4U

Grateful
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
OK, so I'm a little choked up at the moment. I just got off the phone with my sister and all the work she put into getting donations, pulling people together, and really bringing out the best in everybody...the auction was just closed and my nephews display brought $13,000 to go to the Primary Children's Medical Center.

I am soooo proud of my sister and all that she has been through, not only with beating breast cancer, but losing her only son and staying so strong and keeping him close to her. She used to do the Festival every year with her family and Ty was a big part of it with her until he passed away. This being the fourth year since his departure from us, it felt right to bring everything she's worked on during those years into this one festival. Giving it the golf theme and her asking me to bring the "shack" into play was a big thrill for me.

Just before my nephew passed away, he had just qualified for the Utah Open. A couple of the pictures within the link below have a picture of him framed on the center table. He was such an awesome kid!

I am not going to post a bunch of pictures, instead will give you the link below to view at your leisure:

Ty's Festival of Trees

I will be updating the folder as I get more pictures. The people who won the auction will be putting the "shack" in their cabin, so it will live on as well.

Please take a look through the pictures, you will notice some familiar items along with a signed flag and framing of Rory from the US Open. There are quite a few pictures and close ups of different aspects of her display. I am SOOO proud of her.

My job was to bring what my sister had thought up into something to display all the golf items, or a "Caddy Shack". Here is what we came up with:
fabbb33ec3e890b11e491b073af51271.jpg

And this is what she, and several of her friends and family made of it:
b06c659252d624143fbad917abff5749.jpg

Just wanted to share my extreme joy in what my sister was able to do in memory of my nephew! Don't forget to click the link for more detailed pictures....sorry, just proud of her.

My Nephew Ty:
1baff63cc6b7902fb85d07a1698a9de2.jpg

Last edited:
That is FANTASTIC!!!! Wow....I just don't have the words to describe what you and her did with that. Great job J4U! Well done. That is one amazing project that was completed. I know everyone involved is very proud of what this ment to your sister. I just can't imagine. Congrats again! Wow!

Reactions: J4U
Very special! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the comments guys! I find myself still looking through all the pictures, a very proud brother for sure!

Wow....being a cancer survivor myself and losing my mom to cancer, this really touched me.
Thanks for sharing J4U !

That is truly special.

wow that looks amazing and for such a worthy cause, thanks for sharing!

Well done. Very cool and a ton of cash raised.

J4U thanks for sharing that is truly special and something that you will be proud of forever.
I love the pictures and the fact they were able to raise $13,000 is amazing.

Have a bunch of pre-build pictures that were sent to me to add tomorrow. Thanks to all that have looked into my snapshot of life.

That is absolutely amazing, and all for a great cause.

Beautiful sentiment. Thank you for sharing.

Brought a little bit of a tear to my eye, buddy. Very sad that your nephew was taken so soon but this is just a fantastic, fantastic tribute. Rep added. Just awesome.

Amazing, congrats to your sister for her great strength

Thanks for the posts and stopping by fellas, much appreciated. Put some building and loading pics up. My sister is still on cloud nine and says she really felt Ty close.

What a special way to honor a special kid .

That's very cool, thanks for sharing Doug

Thanks to all that have stopped by, one very important detail I left off. David, a new member to this wonderful site, joined recently and had an avatar that made me post a knee jerk comment. I felt horrible after thinking about it and PM'd him apologizing. He changed it within a few posts of seeing my comment, but that was not my intent and probably should have just let it ride. He had no idea what I was referring too until he replied to my PM.

My nephew Ty, was such a gifted athlete and was outstanding at golf. I had gone out to visit them in early June 4 years ago with my little man. Ty was Tanur's hero and looked up to him in every way, he was just in awe of Ty. Everything seemed fine, but I could tell Ty wasn't acting the same, but nothing really strange. Especially after qualifying for the Utah Open a few weeks earlier.

On June 25 at 6:37pm, I got a call from my brother in law Michael. He was crying and I could barely understand him, all I could here is "He's gone...He's gone". My nephew had taken his own life.

I haven't shared this with anyone outside my immediate family, but figured I would update all who come by. In a way paying tribute to such a wonderful young man that was taken from us way too early. He probably thought he was making it easier on everyone else in his life, little do most know that take this option, it causes way too much pain for those left...forever! I found out later that his girlfriend had become pregnant and he didn't know what to do I guess. The baby did not make it through term and had to be delivered because it was so far along.

We can always ask ourselves why we didn't see something like this coming, but how can you? Tanur really never talked much about it at first and was hit really hard when he made the comment that he was going to go be with TY. It scared the crap out of me and made sure we had many discussions about it for several months and even through the years since. I can't stress enough the importance of being there and REALLY knowing what our kids are going through. I have made my point with my son and he knows he can come to me with ANYTHING, but I pray to God he does just that! I can deal with anything and help him get through the same, but it scares me to no end even today with what our kids go through so early in life now!

If only Ty would have waited.....

Thanks THP for those that stop back by, it has been a hard week.

Last edited:
Just thinking about you Ty, five years today. Wishing I could give you a big hug and hit the course with you, love you!

This was just finished. I will go out to Utah and play this course. Last round he ever played. Miss you buddy!
tuzu4uny.jpg

That's awesome of them to do that!

This is another beautiful tribute!

Was a rough day yesterday on the anniversary of him leaving us. Thinking of you as always buddy!

Well Ty...this day brings sadness every year for many...we miss you!

Going to play a round today alone and please enjoy it with me. Will bring a sleeve of balls your dad gave me that you had in your bag last and will putt with them.

Love you buddy!

First time I've seen this thread.

Thinking of you and your family tonight.

Back