What is the last iron you hit well?

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
For me it used to be the 6i, so I switched and placed a 4h and 5h in my bag. Now though, after lessons, I can't seem to hit my hybrids consistently and am considering regripping my 4i and 5i and putting them back in the bag.

What is the longest iron you feel confident gaming?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5i for me and I've even considered a 5h. They are just so much easier to hit

Oddly enough, right now I got my 5 iron better than my 6. I get a more reliable shot shape, if nothing else. I bag a 3 & 4 hybrid currently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Depends on what you consider well. The answer for me could be that my 9i is the longest iron I hit well.

5 iron is hit or miss so I have to go 6 iron. Hybrids are a no go for me so the hit or miss 5 iron is a better option for me. Thank goodness for the 7 wood!!!

5 is spotty. Better off the tee than the hybrids I've tried this year. Not as consistent off the turf.

For me "hit well" = "don't top it on most swings". I top > 75% of shots I take with my hybrids and fairway woods. At this point it's basically in my head that I will top it, and then I do. I may not get my irons to go where I intend them, but they will go the distance I need, even if it's off to the right or left. If I can get within wedge distance (clubs I can actually trust) I consider it a success.

I hit a nice drawing 7 iron today, which is probably the last iron shot that I hit well today. It was also the last iron shot I hit today.

6i is the longest club I'm confident in. 5i and hybrids can be on or off. Although today I was hitting my 5i like never before, it'll be a while before I'm as confident in it as I am in my 6i.

I don't really have irons any more, but my 3 hyron is the longest that I feel confident gaming.

I'm confident up to 7i. I hit my 6i several times during a round for the yardage it covers but it's more inconsistent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

5 iron is my go to club. On average I hit it 175 yards and where I want it. Hit it 195 yards to left center fairway off a highly elevated tee last Saturday.

For me "hit well" = "don't top it on most swings". I top > 75% of shots I take with my hybrids and fairway woods. At this point it's basically in my head that I will top it, and then I do. I may not get my irons to go where I intend them, but they will go the distance I need, even if it's off to the right or left. If I can get within wedge distance (clubs I can actually trust) I consider it a success.

I had the exact same problem when I first got my hybrids. Once I started playing them further back in my stance than before and really making sure I hit down on them, the results have been fantastic. Have you tried messing around with that?

I hit a 4 iron as my longest iron. I don't actually find myself at that yardage very often on the course though. I could probably get away with taking it out of the bag, but I figure that is when I will need it.

8 iron-155 pretty consistent, its that pesky 9 iron that I occasionally hit 160 cause im overly confident swinging it that confuses me

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I Love hitting my 3 iron and I use it quite often off of the tee on tight par 4s and unreachable par 5s. I also have one of the Callaway Prototype Utility irons that I hit great but I consider it to be more of a hybrid than an iron.

I had the exact same problem when I first got my hybrids. Once I started playing them further back in my stance than before and really making sure I hit down on them, the results have been fantastic. Have you tried messing around with that?

Read about that. Will take this advice to the range and give it a shot. I may be trying to sweep them.

I can honestly say that it would be he 2 iron off the tee or 3 iron off the fairway. I'm just as confident in my 3 iron as I am my 9 iron because I practice hitting them all.

I hit a 4 iron as my longest iron. I don't actually find myself at that yardage very often on the course though. I could probably get away with taking it out of the bag, but I figure that is when I will need it.

I like having a 4 iron cause i use it to hit low cuts and slices out of the woods. Unfortunately, i miss a lot to the right side in the woods, and i do use my 4 iron a lot.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Read about that. Will take this advice to the range and give it a shot. I may be trying to sweep them.

Yeah play with it a bit and see. I tried sweeping my hybrids and trying to play them far forward like a 3w thinking I'd get loft but after watching some guys say just play them like an iron and further back my contact has been light years better. Hope you find something that works dude, you'll be in love

Does an Alti count as an iron? If so, then 4. If not, I was getting along with a driving 3 iron a few weeks ago and my MP H4 4i was terrific, but at the moment, going on to a course tomorrow and not counting Altis, it'd be a 7.

I would say 5iron. I can hit my 4 well, a good bit of the time, but not consistent enough.

I hit my 6 iron great yesterday. A shot coming to mind was an uphill shot 189 to the pin which was in the back. I hit it right at the flag and it one hopped and stopped right on the fringe 8 yards away.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have been hitting my five iron the best I ever have this year, at my first range session I decided to choke down just a little, a half inch at the most, and that has made all the difference without losing any distance.

5i (Ping G2, black dots) for me; reliably hit it long but, more importantly, it is my go-to club for off-kilter/rough punch shots. Learned that trick from a buddy. Seems that it becomes a magic wand in those situations, sometimes.

BUT....

My new Ping Karsten irons arrived today. Silver dots, regular flex graphite shafts +1". Ping originally built the clubs wrong (not their fault, pro-shop guy made a typo on the order sheet) so the H3/H4 arrived last week but the irons had to be re-built. Played the hybrids on Wednesday in a monsoon (league night) and loved them. I played a Karsten 7I built to the spec of the new clubs before they arrived and was reliably hitting it 170' and straight with the slightest of draws (my natural shot is a slight draw). Really looking forward to gaming them next week; gotta miss league night this week due to work trip to DC :crying:

Stephen

Back