Pre-shot routine, who has one?

Antony NZ

Reaction score
Handicap
As the title states, who's got a pre-shot routine? I don't really but I've heard its a good thing to have to help relax & play better golf. If you do, as strange as it sounds, did you make one up? Practice it? Or always just have one? And does it help? I normally don't take practice swings or have any routine I do before shots or putting.

I face a lot of different shots (since I'm all over the course most of the time) and it takes me a little extra time to get comfortable over a shot that I don't like, so my pre-shot routine varies when I'm coming on to the green. But my putting pre-shot routine is the same. I practiced a lot of different ones until I found one that works best for me. I mark my ball, clean it, put it down in front of my marker and read the putt with the ball and marker down. I find that part to be really important so I can visualize the ball going in after I find my line. After I read it from both sides, I'll take 3 practice strokes focusing on my rhythm and rocking my shoulders, then another 2 while looking at the spot I picked (a ball outside, etc) and then I hit it. It sounds like a lot, but it goes by faster than you'd think. I play lots of 3.5 hour rounds with foursomes so it cant be that bad, plus nobody's ever complained :drinks: I think it's important to find a routine that works for you because IMO if you aren't doing something easy that can be lowering your scores, you're cheating yourself of your potential. Not having one might be what's best for you, but you'll never know until you try.

I think everyone has one, whether they think they do or not. As long as you are doing the same thing, even if it is just in the few seconds before you start your swing, that's a routine.

I have a very solid routine for putting but I would like to work on a one that is more consistent for my other shots.

I used to have a couple things I did before I hit the ball but I recently changed it. I visualize what the hole calls for, I visualize the shot I need to hit, I pick a spot about 18 inches in front of the ball where I want it to travel, I line up and hit it. Nothing else, no plane thoughts, no grip thoughts, no nothing, I go blank.

I stand back and pick my line. Take a practice swing or two. Then step up and hit the shot. I used to waggle....but not anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've developed one for putting and I'm trying to get in the habit of using one for full shots. I find the putting routine really has helped focus me for the putt.

When I hear preshot routine I immediately think slow. It's not correct or even fair, but it's what comes to mind.

When I hear preshot routine I immediately think slow. It's not correct or even fair, but it's what comes to mind.

I could see where thisncomes to mind. I believe strongly in a pre shot routine, however most tend to add way to many things and take forever.

I pick a spot in the distance, commit to the shot and fire. No set number of waggles or anything like that.

I grab club from bag as I am walking up to ball and hit straight away - no way I can think about shot then which is a good thing !

I take a practice swing and then hit my ball

Only on driver hits but on those, absolutely. If I'm not consistent, my ball slices far enough to the right to come back around and hit me in the back of the head.

I read a book that talked about the importance of a consistent pre-shot routine, and my initial thought was that I wasn't a good enough golfer to benefit from this. But I worked on it, and I really do think it helps to keep my mind from over analyzing things during my swing. So I can confidently say that I certainly play better due to my routine I've developed.

The book I read talked about an imaginary line about 3 feet behind your ball. Behind the line was your decision box where you chose a club, looked at your line and got committed to the shot, then when you stepped in front of the line towards your ball, it was your play box. If you're not committed to the shot when you're in your play box, stop and retreat to the decision box again.

You'd think this would slow down play, but I r-a-r-e-l-y top shots any longer and am playing about 8-10 shots better per round now than before I had a pre-shot routine. I'm playing less golf now than a few years ago also, so it's not that I'm playing and practicing more and getting better because of that. I really think the pre-shot routine has caused me to think more clearly and hit the ball better, and that has benefitted my scoring.

Once I have a clear picture of the shot I'm intending, I have implemented a number of keys in my pre-shot routing that help me with grip and alignment. I sometimes also do a slow motion takeaway to make sure I remember how a correct one feels. All that happens during my grip and waggle. Then I just re-check my target and swing.

i do a nomar routine before every shot. probably why i 3 putt most of the time

in all seriousness, i check the distance on my watch, grab a club, line it up, waggle, wiggle feet in place, swing.

Last edited:
I am working on creating one for full shots now--it is hard to stick with it, but I think the consistent routine will pay off later when pressure is on.

I have two...

1. Turn my back to the target and take two swings with irons and wedges.

2. Waggle waggle.

Driver and putter - every time. It isn't long, but it gets me in the right mindset. And it helps me get aligned correctly (in theory...)
Irons - not very often.

I have one that I made up and have recently gone away from it. I need to go back to it because I think it keeps me focused somewhat.

I have a very quick one. I think I need to adjust a little but for the most part it seems to work OK. I try to keep it as simple as possible just stand behind the ball, pick a spot on the ground I want to align to, take my stance aligned to that, check my grip, and then swing. I think it works for me, for what I want. THe rest of my swing is the problem haha

Back