TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

the new Aldila RIP Tour 115g graphite shafts I ordered for my speedblades will be in on Wednesday. Just in time for a couple of days of rain! I'm excited to see what they will do for my game... the speedblades are so much fun to hit when you strike them well. The new shafts add to the feel and greatly increase my ability to find the center of the clubface. I've had a speedblade 6i with this shaft in my bag for a few rounds now and I just love when I am left with 6i yardage because I get to hit this combo. Soon my 5-PW will all feel and perform the same way :)

Also, I *think* I have finally experienced some of the random "flier" shots with that 6i. Maybe it was just that I wasn't finding the center of the face very often with the stock 85g shaft and with the properly fitted shaft I am... but a handful of times now I have seen a *carry* distance of about 200y whereas my normal *total* 6i distance is 185. Example: GPS watch says 185 out from center of green. I aim for center of green. Ball bounces off the back fringe and down the hill. Or, I have 190 to the front of the green on a par 5 and I'm intending to lay up for an easy wedge-putt for birdie... and the ball hits past the flag and rolls off the back. Both of those exact scenarios happened within my last 4 rounds. I don't know if this is the new shaft or if the head is really producing that random distance bump or not. But, it has happened. Now, if 200y is going to be my new 6i distance, I can handle that. I'll relearn my distances and adjust my club selection. But if it's going to be 185 half the time and 200 the other half... I gotta shop for new heads =\

I can honestly say, the only iron I ever saw a "flier" with was the 2.0's, I gamed the Rocketbladez and then these for a long long time and never saw those types of jumps. Like any iron there are shots that are hit more or less pure resulting in distance changes, but nothing like the 20 yard jumps that were seen from true fliers with the 2.0's.

I'm not really positive if that is what was happening or not. All I know for sure is that I've never hit a 200y 6i shot before. I have a few times now with the new combo. I'll know more once I've spent more time with it. I'm hoping that it will just be the new number and not a random occurrence. I don't really want to buy new heads.

I can honestly say, the only iron I ever saw a "flier" with was the 2.0's, I gamed the Rocketbladez and then these for a long long time and never saw those types of jumps. Like any iron there are shots that are hit more or less pure resulting in distance changes, but nothing like the 20 yard jumps that were seen from true fliers with the 2.0's.

This can go back to something as little as a blade of grass in the grooves, moisture on the face or ball or anything else. All will contribute to the flight because all will alter spin in some ways. One of the largest features of grooves is the ability to move debris and moisture away from contact.

I may be jumping in on some Speedblades. I actually hit them with the shaft in the Sldr irons and it was magic. Really tight dispersion and crazy distance. Bad problem is that TM wants $15 per shaft upcharge to put them in the Speedblades.

This can go back to something as little as a blade of grass in the grooves, moisture on the face or ball or anything else. All will contribute to the flight because all will alter spin in some ways. One of the largest features of grooves is the ability to move debris and moisture away from contact.

Bam!! I just learned something new today. What an epiphany. I never thought of the grooves like that, but it makes perfect sense. Like the tread of a tire. I always thought of them as a means of providing spin through traction. I know that we've discussed in other threads that the grooves have little to do with how much spin you get (debatable by some, and not trying to bring that debate into this thread). But I guess that even using that logic, this makes sense as the purpose of the grooves aren't to provide the traction themselves, but to give the debris a place to reside so that the face of the club has a better chance to make clean contact with the ball, and thereby imparting spin and proper loft and launch to the ball.

Thanks JB

I know a few here have gone from "players" irons to these and one real turn off for me was the size of the head. But quite frankly, I'm ready to use an iron I can be confident and aggressive with. I feel a quick stop at Golf Galaxy in the near future to hit these a couple times

I saw a flier with the RBZ AW, and only one time. From the fairway, I had 122 pin. Pulled the AW, hit it. Trajectory was higher than normal for that club. It landed on a cart path that was 30yds over the green, bounced over a road, and near a plant adjacent to the next hole's back tee box. I'm not sure if I can even classify it as a flier, or a what the hell was that moment or what. It was stupid, and I still laugh at my 180+ AW.

Just picked a set up... Going back this weekend to have them fit but on the monitor I hit 40 balls. 37 of them landed in a 10 yard circle... 3 I snapped left. Also, hitting a 6 iron 190 yards feels great, so what if the loft is strong because these clubs are accurate.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Through injury and other issues my handicap gas gone from 17 to 20. I was playing 5 year old AP2s and changing to the Speedblades with a proper fitting was the best thing I could have done. The long irons are very forgiving particularly on thin shots, I made a truly horrible swing yesterday that should have only gone 20 yards, it got up and ended up on the green 165 yards away. The short irons and AW are very accurate and I am hitting and holding more greens.

Yeah. Love these clubs. Got a good deal by buying one of those Taylormade discount codes from ebay.

How is everyone’s gap distance with the degrees differencebeing 5 degrees instead of the normal 4 degrees from the 8 iron thru theapproach wedge?

I'm still seeing 8 to 10 yards gap give or take.

How is everyone’s gap distance with the degrees differencebeing 5 degrees instead of the normal 4 degrees from the 8 iron thru theapproach wedge?

When I gamed them the gaps stayed constant there, a degree isn't going to be noticed by most

I've played the same gaps I had before, about 10 yards. Gaps got a little bigger between the 5 and 6 irons for me.

So I kinda just bought some speedblade irons

So I kinda just bought some speedblade irons

I think you're going to like these Phil. You're going to get these in the air so easily, and out there a long way!

Money well spent!

That's the thing. With my trade in, it was only $200 out of pocket. Golf Galaxy has some crazy deals goin

That's the thing. With my trade in, it was only $200 out of pocket. Golf Galaxy has some crazy deals goin
That's awesome, now I've gotta see what they've got lol

That's awesome, now I've gotta see what they've got lol

25% off Father's Day deal plus 150% trade in towards 2014 irons

Same here. Dicks gave me 330 for my R11s.... Couldn't have sold them for that much.

25% off Father's Day deal plus 150% trade in towards 2014 irons
hmmmm I wonder if they'd do it for woods? Would love to upgrade my 3w

I really loved how these felt. Can't wait to get them on the range. Silly numbers into a simulator so I want to see it live. But I'm already loving the light shaft. Makes it easier to make a smooth swing

I ordered a set today after spending 3hrs at GG on the monitors. Ended up going back to reg flex in the Nippon 950's. So smooth. Can't wait to get comfortable over an iron again.

Back