judging a golf clubs performance on appearance

I don't know about the most popular irons on THP necessarily. They're definitely solid GI irons though that have helped a lot of guys play better golf.

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

They definitely have a cult following here. I've hit them and like them, but prefer the more traditional GI style irons.

It's funny, I got the ping G series because I hit it better, and I figured I would get used to the look. I'm finding that I've now really come to prefer the offset and chunkiness.

Woods, it doesn't really matter to me. I'll admit square drivers don't do much for me, but of the vast majority out there, a driver's a driver. Colors, graphics, sole design, doesn't worry me.
Irons, I find the extremes a bit offputting. Butter knives and ultra wides throw me off, but there's a pretty wide range that's fine.
Putters, yes. I just only feel comfortable over an Anser style. Fortunately, everybody makes something like that.

While I do like a sharp looking club I'm not one to shy away from playing an ugly duckling as long as it gets the job done. Heck, I played the 588 Altitudes all last year so I clearly have no shame when it comes to aesthetics.

What are you playing this year? Why did you switch?

I've played and will play clubs that don't look or feel as good as I'd like. Aesthetic preferences rather than getting too internet golfer and saying I can't do offset or big toplines. I thought the Rocketbladez were pretty ugly and sounded pretty bad, but loved those irons.

That said, I think today you can really find something that work both in terms of performance and looks. Lots of clubs that are complete packages out there.

Them altitudes are an eye sore but they seem to be the most popular set of irons in THP for whatever reason.

Some pretty obvious reasons actually. They help you hit the ball long, straight and shoot lower scores. They minimize mistakes on less than perfect swings.

I used to care somewhat about how a club looked when choosing what to play. Now I let numbers decide every time.

The funny thing about appearance in my opinion is besides the driver all these colors and such you dont even see at address. You only see it in the bag. But they sure look cool in the bag.

I've played and will play clubs that don't look or feel as good as I'd like. Aesthetic preferences rather than getting too internet golfer and saying I can't do offset or big toplines. I thought the Rocketbladez were pretty ugly and sounded pretty bad, but loved those irons.

That said, I think today you can really find something that work both in terms of performance and looks. Lots of clubs that are complete packages out there.

So because someone plays a specific style of iron and doesn't stray they're an Internet golfer lol? Ok.

Golf clubs are the same as dating. If the opposite sex is attractive but the personality doesn't work for me, I don't want her. If the golf club looks good but doesn't perform for me, I can't use it. However, even if the club works beautifully or you love her personality, you still have to find some attractiveness in what you see or it just doesn't work as well as it should because your brain isn't registering that additional positive aspect. Unfortunately, humans are hardwired into making rapid judgments based on how something looks or is perceived due to basic fight or flight instincts. Bottom line, assuming the performance of the clubs are similar, if you don't find that something that provides you with all the positive feelings you can muster when you look at your club, you are less likely to be successful than if you like the looks of the club. Of course, it is all relative, this doesn't hold true if there is a large disparity between the performance for you. I don't care how pretty the forged muscle backs may look, if you desperately need SGI clubs, you still won't hit the better looking clubs. Not sure if my ramblings make sense, but hopefully they are clear enough.

So because someone plays a specific style of iron and doesn't stray they're an Internet golfer lol? Ok.

Sure it does in many cases. You're obviously an outlier along with a small portion of people out there, but having played golf with a whole bunch of THP'rs, I have a hard time seeing the rationale behind statements like that. At least when it comes to actually playing in real life.

I get it. We all have aesthetic preferences. I do too and found a set of irons that sort of meet that need along with some performance needs. In a perfect world I'd be playing something a little sexier though. I'm not saying that looks don't bear some importance, but I also think the 'I need to like what I'm looking at to be confident' is often times used a way to justify a poor equipment choice.

When did the Altitudes get a cult following? I can think of three people who played them last year.

Sure it does in many cases. You're obviously an outlier along with a small portion of people out there, but having played golf with a whole bunch of THP'rs, I have a hard time seeing the rationale behind statements like that. At least when it comes to actually playing in real life.

I get it. We all have aesthetic preferences. I do too and found a set of irons that sort of meet that need along with some performance needs. In a perfect world I'd be playing something a little sexier though. I'm not saying that looks don't bear some importance, but I also think the 'I need to like what I'm looking at to be confident' is often times used a way to justify a poor equipment choice.

I have said in the past Hawkster. People seem to enjoy golf in two ways. Some people want the lowest score possible. A round is only enjoyable if it a well played round.

Some people enjoy golf by playing what they like. Score be damned.

I think most THPers who fall into the latter don't kid themselves. They understand what their choice. I am in that group. Which is fine by me.

I have said in the past Hawkster. People seem to enjoy golf in two ways. Some people want the lowest score possible. A round is only enjoyable if it a well played round.

Some people enjoy golf by playing what they like. Score be damned.

I think most THPers who fall into the latter don't kid themselves. They understand what their choice. I am in that group. Which is fine by me.

I don't buy it, at least for the majority. Most that I've seen playing poorly aren't happy about it at all, even with their well planned bag.

I can shoot over my handicap and still have a good time and look back favorably on the 18. My enjoyment of the round is determined by my score. Not even a little.

One of my favorite rounds of 2013 was with you, ATL, and Nealdan in Illinois. I shot pretty bad. I had lower score rounds that I enjoyed less.

Yea I know about that round and we did have fun with some of the worst golf ever seen, but again - outlier based on all the times I've played with THP'rs. Not saying people pout or act like Tiger on a bad day, but very few are happy with poor play, including myself.

Listen, I have no problem saying what I'm saying because I've been there. I may even go back there, because it's extrememly easy to. That's the thing about golf equipment. We convince ourselves of all kinds of things to justify desires that aren't related to performance or scores.

Looks are on my list, bit quite far down. It use to bother me, but after seeing numbers and performance figures, those matter more to me than looks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yea I know about that round and we did have fun with some of the worst golf ever seen, but again - outlier based on all the times I've played with THP'rs. Not saying people pout or act like Tiger on a bad day, but very few are happy with poor play, including myself.

Listen, I have no problem saying what I'm saying because I've been there. I may even go back there, because it's extrememly easy to. That's the thing about golf equipment. We convince ourselves of all kinds of things to justify desires that aren't related to performance or scores.

I'm not arguing with you or disagreeing. I am only speaking for myself. I am ok giving up some strokes because I enjoy the equipment I play.

At least you admit it :)

Yeah I don't make up some Internet excuse like unforgiving irons will force me to be a better ballstriker.

Golf clubs are the same as dating. If the opposite sex is attractive but the personality doesn't work for me, I don't want her. If the golf club looks good but doesn't perform for me, I can't use it. However, even if the club works beautifully or you love her personality, you still have to find some attractiveness in what you see or it just doesn't work as well as it should because your brain isn't registering that additional positive aspect. Unfortunately, humans are hardwired into making rapid judgments based on how something looks or is perceived due to basic fight or flight instincts. Bottom line, assuming the performance of the clubs are similar, if you don't find that something that provides you with all the positive feelings you can muster when you look at your club, you are less likely to be successful than if you like the looks of the club. Of course, it is all relative, this doesn't hold true if there is a large disparity between the performance for you. I don't care how pretty the forged muscle backs may look, if you desperately need SGI clubs, you still won't hit the better looking clubs. Not sure if my ramblings make sense, but hopefully they are clear enough.

This was similar to the thoughts I had in thinking about the question. The compatibility/performance is ultimately the main factor, but the appearance does matter to me, particularly in the stages between announcement of a new club and the first time I get to try it out. But to your point, what the mind finds attractive is very different for each person...forged muscle backs do nothing for me visually because for my game they are entirely unrealistic.

When did the Altitudes get a cult following? I can think of three people who played them last year.

The thread about the 'tudes is one of the longer threads I've seen here on the equipment side, and I see them getting suggested by a lot of folks. I don't know if a ton of people put them in the bag, but they definitely made more of an impression than some comparable irons.

I take it you haven't seen the thread dedicated to them?? I mentioned something in comparison like a set of Adams A12OS, which are more expensive by a couple hundred bucks, and got my arse chewed. I basically got jumped and bum rushed. Bombarded by the masses for saying I thought there were better offerings to be had at that price point. It was opinionated but not worth kicking up dust. Loll

The thread about the 'tudes is one of the longer threads I've seen here on the equipment side, and I see them getting suggested by a lot of folks. I don't know if a ton of people put them in the bag, but they definitely made more of an impression than some comparable irons.

Don't write off that three very active forum members played them. Those three members tend to carry opinions that people want to hear

Yeah I don't make up some Internet excuse like unforgiving irons will force me to be a better ballstriker.
but broooo they help you concentrate

I take it you haven't seen the thread dedicated to them?? I mentioned something in comparison like a set of Adams A12OS, which are more expensive by a couple hundred bucks, and got my arse chewed. I basically got jumped and bum rushed. Bombarded by the masses for saying I thought there were better offerings to be had at that price point. It was opinionated but not worth kicking up dust. Loll

That's not how I remember that exchange going. But oh well

LOL. Your memory fails you. Everything I posted there was completely justified.

Back